Trans-Labrador highway - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-01-2018, 06:55 AM   #1

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, pulled by 2018 F150 EcoBoost
Trans-Labrador highway

Has anybody driven the Trans-Labrador Highway with their Escape trailer?
We're considering it returning from Newfoundland in a few weeks.
What precautions should we take before starting?

Thanks in advance,
Peter Styer
Frewsburg, NY
pstyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 07:08 AM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Over on FGRV there are several threads on visiting Newfoundland and their travels there.
Old 07-01-2018, 07:37 AM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by pstyer View Post

Thanks in advance,
Peter Styer
Frewsburg, NY
Hi: pstyer... The term "Highway" should be loosely accepted, though I have never driven it!!!
Some "Lingo lessons" might be helpful. "Stay where 'ur at and I'll come where 'ur too"!!! If you get to Niagara Wine Escape in Sept I'll be all ears. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 09:40 AM   #4

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
The Canadian definition of gravel such as in “gravel road “ is any rock smaller than your head
At least that what I was told by multiple Canadians
After driving the 100 Km to Pickel Lake in Ontario I tend to agree
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 09:17 AM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA!
Quote:

Thanks in advance,
Peter Styer
Frewsburg, NY
My mother and step father did it in their truck camper....the "gravel" is very sharp. They got a flat in their Load range B truck tire. They saw many trailers with flats....bring extra spares(note the S)....not many services on the way.....oh and the bugs....great when they got there but not so great getting there!
Ian and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 06:10 PM   #6

Trailer: 5.0, 2018/juillet
i am from norft shore of quebec, and i know this road, for me i wont never use it with trailer,

if you go , you need some spare tire for your truck ,,,and trailer.

i want sometime in NFLD but i use boat to south sidney to port au basque.
Fournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 03:34 AM   #7

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
I say pass

From some travel blogs I have read in the past about this road and some long distance towing I have done in the US, I would advise against any towing that is not on pavement with our trailers. My advise, stick to the pavement.

If you go, take many spares as others have noted, and expect a broken winsheild from the transport passing you giving you a gravel shower.
Old 07-16-2018, 08:24 AM   #8

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian and Sue View Post
My mother and step father did it in their truck camper....the "gravel" is very sharp. They got a flat in their Load range B truck tire. They saw many trailers with flats....bring extra spares(note the S)....not many services on the way.....oh and the bugs....great when they got there but not so great getting there!
One good thing is that the thick coating of dead bugs on the front of your Escape will help protect the fiberglass from damage from the gravel roads.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 08:55 AM   #9

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
We drove north in a station wagon from the ferry at Port o' Basque to way up as far as the unpaved roads began to make us nervous and to an obscure lobster fishing village. Wonderful experience. Like being back in another century. I wouldn't take my trailer on that without plenty of emergency supplies.

But that was back in the 1970's. Must admit --a tad amazed to learn there's unpaved roads in Newfoundland today.
Old 07-16-2018, 09:19 AM   #10

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
...But that was back in the 1970's. Must admit --a tad amazed to learn there's unpaved roads in Newfoundland today.
There are still unpaved roads in many parts of Canada.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 10:55 AM   #11

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
There are still unpaved roads in many parts of the US
In our county they have torn up old asphalt roads and turned them back into gravel roads due to cuts in state funding , In many cases the gravel roads are smoother than the paved ones
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 11:27 AM   #12

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Gravel roads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Walter View Post
There are still unpaved roads in many parts of Canada.
The farm to market road system in Iowa is still pretty much alive and well. I believe that with some creative routing I could drive the 300 miles across the state, still all on gravel. We do have some of the highest quality road and concrete limestone in the United States. Really good motor patrol operators are getting more scarce now. Who’s drive 70 mph on the gravel when you were young and dumb? Raise your texting thumb.
Iowa Dave
Old 07-31-2018, 06:12 PM   #13

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, pulled by 2018 F150 EcoBoost
We did it! Trans-Labrador Update.

Just finished the Trans-Labrador highway!!!
It was an experience! I have never seen so much undeveloped country in my life. In one area we drove 250 miles without seeing any type of development. The country side rolls on forever. A green carpet of spruce, birch and alder bushes.

In preparation for the gravel roads, I made one modification to the trailer. I added mudflaps to protect the front corners from rock chips. I'll add a picture.

Here's the break down of the road conditions.
1. Blac-Sablon QC to Red Bay, NL - 50 mi (80 KM) Paved asphalt in extremely poor condition. Large potholes and construction. Average speed was 20 - 25 miles per hour.
2. Red Bay, NL to Marys Harbor - 50 mi (80 KM) Brand new pavement. Absolutely smooth. Average speed 60 mph.
3. Marys Harbor to Goose Bay. 275 mi (456 KM) Gravel road except for the last 50 mi. (80 Km). Most of the road was dry and dusty. Some sections were rough but most were very passable. Average speed was 32 mph. The last 50 miles was new pavement and very smooth.
4. Goose Bay to Labrador City - 326 mi, (543 Km) Paved highway in very good to excellent condition. Average speeds were between 55 MPH and 60 MPH.

Problems we encountered:
Twice we were alerted to liquids draining out of the trailer. The small handle of the drain on the fresh water tank sits behind the wheels of the trailer. Rocks being thrown up were opening the valve and letting the water drain. I used a small piece of pool noodle and lots of tape to protect the valve and that solved the problem.

This afternoon, we discovered the outer glass on the window mounted in the door was cracked in a thousand places. (See Picture) It could not have been from a rock as we never passed any trucks that were throwing rocks. I believe it may have been stressed on one of the large potholes in the first section of highway. I will probably never know. I contacted ETI concerning a replacement.

Peter Styer
Frewsburg, NY
Attached Thumbnails
Mud Flaps.jpg  
Attached Images

pstyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 06:18 PM   #14

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
That door sort of looks cool now, like antique glass.....
Old 07-31-2018, 08:16 PM   #15

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Hey Peter
If you don’t make yourself a unique decal indicating this journey you’re missing the boat. I’m envious and can’t wait for the in person report.
Iowa Dave
Old 08-03-2018, 03:30 PM   #16

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
Quote:
It was an experience! I have never seen so much undeveloped country in my life. In one area we drove 250 miles without seeing any type of development. The country side rolls on forever. A green carpet of spruce, birch and alder bushes.

In preparation for the gravel roads, I made one modification to the trailer. I added mudflaps to protect the front corners from rock chips. I'll add a picture.

1. Blac-Sablon QC to Red Bay, NL - 50 mi (80 KM) Paved asphalt in extremely poor condition. Large potholes and construction. Average speed was 20 - 25 miles per hour.
2. Red Bay, NL to Marys Harbor - 50 mi (80 KM) Brand new pavement. Absolutely smooth. Average speed 60 mph.
3. Marys Harbor to Goose Bay. 275 mi (456 KM) Gravel road except for the last 50 mi. (80 Km). Most of the road was dry and dusty. Some sections were rough but most were very passable. Average speed was 32 mph. The last 50 miles was new pavement and very smooth.
4. Goose Bay to Labrador City - 326 mi, (543 Km) Paved highway in very good to excellent condition. Average speeds were between 55 MPH and 60 MPH.

Problems we encountered:
Twice we were alerted to liquids draining out of the trailer. The small handle of the drain on the fresh water tank sits behind the wheels of the trailer. Rocks being thrown up were opening the valve and letting the water drain. I used a small piece of pool noodle and lots of tape to protect the valve and that solved the problem.

This afternoon, we discovered the outer glass on the window mounted in the door was cracked in a thousand places. (See Picture) It could not have been from a rock as we never passed any trucks that were throwing rocks. I believe it may have been stressed on one of the large potholes in the first section of highway. I will probably never know. I contacted ETI concerning a replacement.

Peter Styer
Frewsburg, NY
Did the mud flaps work?

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 04:56 PM   #17

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Wow, that's impressive. Didn't even know that road was there. Talk about being off the beaten track.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 05:02 PM   #18

Trailer: Escape
You didn't pass trucks throwing rocks. Different than driving to Alaska. What was the truck traffic like? And did you need spare tires?

Congratulations on making the trip!
Viajante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 05:31 PM   #19

Trailer: 2015 17b "Shelly"
Quote:

Problems we encountered:

Peter Styer
Frewsburg, NY
Did you need to bring extra gas?
Old 08-03-2018, 05:32 PM   #20
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Wow, quite the epic trip! Had only a vague idea of that area so I mapped it.
Attached Thumbnails
Trans_labrador.JPG