Travel After Chilliwack - No. 1 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login

Old 01-01-2014, 10:54 AM   #1

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
Travel After Chilliwack - No. 1

We are starting to plan our late May pickup in Chilliwack. While we are doing the pickup we will maximize our travel by spending three weeks in the Pacific Northwest. Our first question is regarding the days immediately after delivery. We are considering two options:

- Travel to Coquihalla Recreation Area, or there about, for the first night followed by the drive back to Highway 1 and then north to Lillooet, turning southwest on 99 to Whistler and Squamish for two days.

- Or head directly to Squamish for two days with a visit to Whistler.

We spent a week last fall in Jasper and Banff, our concern is the scenery in the interior will be some of the same we just saw in the Rockies. The coast line is something new to us and maybe deserves more of our time. Also, looking on the map to plan is different than actual conditions.

We plan a morning pickup, will need to pack the trailer with whatever gear we were able to cram into our 4Runner, shop for everything we could not bring along – food, and get to our evening destination. Remember we have four years in our Escape 19 so we are pretty experienced hands at this process.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 11:20 AM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
I've driven the road from Whister to Lillooet and then back to Whistler. If you've not been on it, its 110km winding mountain road. We were staying in Whistler a few summers ago and the guy at Avis in Vancouver recommended it as great drive.

It was a great drive, but I'm very glad I did it in a rental car. I remember two things about that trip. It was 100 degrees F that day we ended up jumping in a nice little glacial swimming area in Lillooet.

I also remember several cars pulled off on the turnouts on the way back from Lillooet with their brakes smoking. I wish I had a picture, but somebody had a Pontiac Grand Am with smoke actually coming out of the front wheels. We actually had a vibration in the brakes on the rental car after that drive.

I'd go to Squamish and hang out in Whistler. There are some great views on the drive up from Vancouver.

We're pickup our 21 in April and probably going down the Oregon coast.

Most injuries injuries in old men occur because they think they are young men!
bisonbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 11:38 AM   #3

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Porteau Cover Provincial Park near Squamish is a really nice place to stay. It can be very busy at times so you may need to book early. Porteau Cove Provincial Park - BC Parks

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 11:53 AM   #4

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Although you will miss a lot of very beautiful country, I have to go along with Bill on this one, particularly if you are not used to mountain driving. The road from Lillooet to Squamish is one of the most scenic roads one can drive. However, it is a mountain road (it's not called the Sea-To-Sky Highway for nothing) and has its own set of issues. This is especially true when pulling a trailer.

We took the road a couple of years ago with our 19 and didn't have any problems. This was mainly due to some very good tips provided by another 19 owner who lives in Squamish and has traveled that road many times. Use a low gear, put on the 4-way flashers and pay attention. We drove the road both ways from Lillooet to Squamish and back. On the way down the hill to Lillooet, we found a motorhome pulled off the road with smoke coming out of the wheels! The scariest part for us was when we were just about to start downhill toward Squamish and we saw a highway sign that said "Steep Road Ahead - 26%" !!! I've driven lots of logging roads that were pretty scary and weren't even close to that.

Anyway, if you think you can handle it, go for it. The scenery, and the experience, is certainly worth it. However, being from Wisconsin, I doubt you have driven a lot of roads like that one <g>. The scenery from Vancouver to Whistler is spectacular as well so going that route, you will get a good taste of what the west coast of Canada is like. If you do go to Whistler, be sure to take the Peak-To-Peak Gondola ride. Words can't begin to describe that experience.

Doug & Kathy
NuthatchBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 12:42 PM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21--FOR SALE
Fudge-Brownie, the coastal and interior mountain terrain in BC is quite different than the Rockies in both geology and appearance, so you are unlikely to find the views monotonous.

As a native British Columbian and Vancouver Island dweller, and with due respect to the Coquihalla, Squamish, Lillooet, and Whister areas, might I suggest you head to Vancouver Island instead via the ferry from Horseshoe Bay to Nanaimo, and camp at a few of the many oceanside campgrounds there. You can then return to USA via the Coho ferry from Victoria to Port Angeles and camp down the highly scenic Olympic Peninsula to Oregon.

Vancouver Island's roads are not challenging, except for parts of Highway 4 over to Tofino and Ucuelet, which has some tight turns which demand that drivers stick to the speed limit. On the east coast of the Island avoids Highway 4.

Heading north from Nanaimo to Campbell River you have your choice of the 4-lane Inland Island Highway or the 2-lane Oceanside Route. Many people do a circle route by driving north on one and south on the other.

One caution: the BC and Coho ferries will each charge about $200 for their respective and highly scenic 90-minute and 2-hour crossings.

You'll have a great time anywhere in BC, but I just wanted to toss the idea of an Island visit into the mix.
Old 01-01-2014, 12:54 PM   #6

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
As a lifelong flat lander, we spent a bit of time in Squamish and Whistler last summer before heading over to Vancouver Island and the Pacific Rim National Park Areas. We were towing our 19' the entire way and had no problems with the steep grades or sharp turns, as long as we drove at speeds appropriate for the roads and conditions. We loved the scenery in the Squamish/Whistler area, but were quite disappointed in how commercial and developed Whistler has become, kind of like Banff on steroids. The Pacific Rim National Park was definitely my favourite place on our trip although as was mentioned, the ferry is a bit of a hit to your wallet.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 01:05 PM   #7

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catchlight View Post
One caution: the BC and Coho ferries will each charge about $200 for their respective and highly scenic 90-minute and 2-hour crossings.
$200. Isn't that about the cost of a couple rounds of golf? And, you don't really get anywhere. You end up back at the clubhouse
Old 01-01-2014, 02:31 PM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
$200. Isn't that about the cost of a couple rounds of golf? And, you don't really get anywhere. You end up back at the clubhouse
Hi: gbaglo... You're right about golf... It's a fore letter word, and your in the hole sometimes!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 02:32 PM   #9

Trailer: 2012 15A
The drive between Whistler/Pemberton and Lillooet, as noted, has some very steep sections between Pemberton and Lillooet called the Duffy Lake Road. From my experience the steepest section is going south down into Pemberton area. Going north down into Lillooet, although steep, is not as bad. The terrain through the summit of the Duffy Lake area is not bad at all. The scenery is spectacular especially in late May when there is still a lot of snow in the pass. The Duffy Lake route is a winding highway but who is in a hurry when camping and you are busy craning your neck to see the mountains?

Years ago we had the brakes smoking in our old 1989 Ford Aerostar coming south down into Pemberton loaded to the hilt with camping gear pulling a small utility trailer with bikes.

Doing a circle loop from Chilliwack to Whistler to Lillooet and back south via the Fraser River Canyon to Chilliwack would be a great drive during which you would experience several climatic and vegetation zones and of course the mountains. Rainforest like at Squamish to near desert conditions at Lillooet. Sea to Sky it truly is. You could have a great trip doing this circle route in 5 days or so. Total distance about 685 km (425 miles) via Cache Creek. Alternate route from Lillooet is 575 km (357miles) via Hwy 12 to Lytton.

Several Provincial and private camp grounds along the way:

Porteau Cove along Howe Sound already mentioned. About a 1.5 hour drive from Chilliwack area. About 140 km from Chilliwack or 20 km south of Squamish. Beautiful site along Howe Sound between Vancouver and Squamish. Ice-breaker’s photo tells it all. (Except for the occasional train that nearly comes through the park!! Don’t let that stop you from camping there though.) Reservation highly recommended, especially on a weekend.

Alice Lake Provincial Park 13 km north of Squamish.

Whistler RV Park and Campground about 40 km north of Squamish or 20 km south of Whistler.

Riverside Resort campground in Whistler.

Nairn Falls Provincial campground about 2 km south of Pemberton or 31 km north of Whistler.

There are some BC Forestry campground sites along the Duffy Lake section. Minimal facilities offered at these sites. Test out your boon-docking capability at these sites!

Not sure what Lillooet has to offer in regard to campgrounds.

There are two options heading out of Lillooet to complete the loop south. Highway 99 heading northeast joining highway 97 and Trans Canada Hwy 1 (TC1) at Cache Creek. Alternate route is Hwy 12 headed south from Lillooet to Lytton and TC 1. This is a shorter route. It is a coin toss as to which route has the best scenery!!

Marble Canyon Provincial campground. On Highway 99 about 48 km northeast of Lillooet and 40 km northwest of Cache Creek.

Juniper Beach Provincial campground – a side trip about 19 km east of Cache Creek on the Thompson River and TC1. Get up close with the two major train routes, CN & CP. They will definitely wake you up during the night here! Lost count of them during the night after about 7 or so.

Skihist Provincial campground about 6 km northeast of Lytton. A gem of a camp site in the Thompson/Fraser River Canyon area. Once again you can listen to both the CN and CP trains as they travel the Fraser and Thompson River routes but they are much lower down in the river canyon and therefore quieter.

Link to BC Provincial Campgrounds - BC Parks - Province of British Columbia

The experience will be quite different from your Banff/Jasper Canadian Rockies trip.

Just do it.
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 03:00 PM   #10

Some photos of Lillooet area.
- market gardens in Lillooet
- Devils Canyon along Fraser River on Hwy 12
- ranch lands along Fraser River nearing Lytton, Hwy 12
Attached Thumbnails
P9071310r.jpg   P9071317.jpg   P9071330r.jpg  
Old 01-01-2014, 03:18 PM   #11

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
I realize that Highway 99 from Lillooet to Whistler has been well-covered in previous posts, but I'll add my experience...
  • The road is winding, in a scenic and interesting way that I really like.
  • There are some short but very steep sections. These were no problem for our Toyota Sienna van towing a 17-foot Boler (comparable in design to an Escape 17', but wider and with a leaf-spring axle); however, I didn't gear down enough for one descent (I think it was that one into Pemberton) and - even with electric trailer brakes - the brakes got pretty hot.
  • The surface was rough enough at the time (this was several years ago, and I think the road was been upgraded since) that a wheel cover (hub cap) popped of the trailer. It was like driving on a quiltwork entirely of pothole patches.

I would take this route again, if I were not in a hurry.

There are several mountain ranges in British Columbia. If you're into mountain scenery, there is variety in scale, shape, and type of vegetation.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 03:19 PM   #12

Duffy Lake road trip late March 2012 photos:
- near summit
- road down into Lillooet area
- nearing Lillooet
- Seton Lake near Lillooet
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1226r.jpg   IMG_1233r.jpg   IMG_1234r.jpg   IMG_1238r.jpg  
Old 01-01-2014, 03:19 PM   #13

Trailer: 2012 Escape 15 A
How does Sunshine Coast hwy compare , please ?
Old 01-01-2014, 03:43 PM   #14

Whistler Peak to Peak Gondola, mid April 2013. Total distance 4.4 km (2.73 mi), unsupported span length 3.02 km (1.88 mi), height above Fitzsimmons Creek 436 m (1,427 ft).
Whistler Village in valley bottom, centre of photo.
Photo taken from over the skiing area of Whistler mountain looking northwards.
Fitzsimmons Creek is in the valley below the gondola car with the creek running towards the edge of the village area. The creek valley separates Whistler Mtn from Blackcomb Mtn ski areas.
Attached Thumbnails
P4080430r.jpg  
Old 01-01-2014, 04:10 PM   #15
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Suggestion. Stay close to the factory the first night. I know you've owned an Escape for several years. You say you have a morning pickup, but you'll still want to go through the new orientation for a new model. You may learn something. Adrenalin will be pumping and I'm betting you're going to be tired that first night. By staying close, IF something comes up, you'll be close enough to get it fixed at the factory before moving on towards home. I don't know when you'll be back on the west coast again, but I'm the type to want to see something brand new, if possible. Make more memories. Don't stay where you've stayed before just because it's "known." Make this a lifetime memory and add to the brain memory bank. You never know when you'll pass this way again. Good luck!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 04:12 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabeck View Post
How does Sunshine Coast hwy compare , please ?
Sunshine Coast is another great drive.
Starting off with a 45 minute ferry ride from Horseshoe Bay to Gibsons and Sechelt area. Most of the road is inland from the coast but good road. Lots of twists and turns but easy to navigate with trailer (have not actually towed our trailer up there).
Further up the coast you catch another ferry (this one is free) at Earls Cove to Saltery Bay connecting to Powell River. It traverses Jervis Inlet, a very scenic ride throught the Coast Mountains.

There is a Provincial campground 4 km north of Sechelt on Hwy 101 called Porpoise Bay. Another campground between the Saltery Bay ferry terminal and Powell River called Saltery Bay. Further up Hwy 101 north of Powell River, near the end of the road, is another cammpground called Okeover Arm Provincial Park. That is near the town of Lund.

There are no doubt some private camp grounds available but I have no experience or knowledge of them.

Skoomchuck Narrows is an attraction to visit. It is accessed from the area near Earls Cove. A narrowing in Sechelt Inlet which has some incredible tidal currents popular with the kayaking enthusists. Not so much with the sailing community unless you time it just right!

From Powell River you could do a circle route onto Vancouver Island landing near Comox and Courtney.

Taking a ferry to the Sunshine Coast involves only one fare which is a return fare. There is no other place to go from the Sunshine Coast so you have to come back!! The ferry from Powell River to Comox would therefore already be paid when you boarded at Horseshoe Bay. (Likewise if you returned back the way you came to Horseshoe Bay.) Of course you would then have to pay for ferry to get off Vancouver Island back to the mainland.

This is a great trip to make in September when the holiday traffic has died down and families have returned back to school. Takes the pressure off getting a camp site and catching ferries.
Old 01-01-2014, 04:53 PM   #17

Trailer: 2012 Escape 15 A
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB View Post
Sunshine Coast is another great drive.
Starting off with a 45 minute ferry ride from Horseshoe Bay to Gibsons and Sechelt area. Most of the road is inland from the coast but good road. Lots of twists and turns but easy to navigate with trailer (have not actually towed our trailer up there).
Further up the coast you catch another ferry (this one is free) at Earls Cove to Saltery Bay connecting to Powell River. It traverses Jervis Inlet, a very scenic ride throught the Coast Mountains.

There is a Provincial campground 4 km north of Sechelt on Hwy 101 called Porpoise Bay. Another campground between the Saltery Bay ferry terminal and Powell River called Saltery Bay. Further up Hwy 101 north of Powell River, near the end of the road, is another cammpground called Okeover Arm Provincial Park. That is near the town of Lund.

There are no doubt some private camp grounds available but I have no experience or knowledge of them.

Skoomchuck Narrows is an attraction to visit. It is accessed from the area near Earls Cove. A narrowing in Sechelt Inlet which has some incredible tidal currents popular with the kayaking enthusists. Not so much with the sailing community unless you time it just right!

From Powell River you could do a circle route onto Vancouver Island landing near Comox and Courtney.

Taking a ferry to the Sunshine Coast involves only one fare which is a return fare. There is no other place to go from the Sunshine Coast so you have to come back!! The ferry from Powell River to Comox would therefore already be paid when you boarded at Horseshoe Bay. (Likewise if you returned back the way you came to Horseshoe Bay.) Of course you would then have to pay for ferry to get off Vancouver Island back to the mainland.

This is a great trip to make in September when the holiday traffic has died down and families have returned back to school. Takes the pressure off getting a camp site and catching ferries.

Thanks , that sounds pretty good to us ….. did not think the ferry over included return ( or alternately to Courtney/Comox ) . Thought we might do that last year but just didn't have enough time ……. we might like to do that in June ……great info ! Really nice photos !
Old 01-01-2014, 05:32 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabeck View Post
Thanks , that sounds pretty good to us ….. did not think the ferry over included return ( or alternately to Courtney/Comox ) . Thought we might do that last year but just didn't have enough time ……. we might like to do that in June ……great info ! Really nice photos !
June could be another good time to do the trip to avoid the crowds.
Weather is just not as good as Sept usually is!! But there must be a reason they call it the Sunshine Coast?

Yes, it is a return fare you pay.
Note in top right hand corner of BC Ferry Fare sheet link, page 5, it says "RETURN" and other fares note "ONE WAY".
All of a sudden it does not seem so bad paying to get to the Sunshine Coast.

OOPS - I just looked a bit further at the fares. Appears it is only the Horseshoe Bay to Langdale that is a return fare and not transferable to the Powell River to Comox ferry. See page 16 for the Powell River to Comox 'One Way" fares in the link below.
My memory has failed me from the time I did that circle trip 26 years ago. Since then I have only done the return from Horseshoe Bay. Thanks for questioning it, now I have learned my first new thing for 2014!

http://www.bcferries.com/files/fares.../BCF_Fares.pdf

One thing that will be changing for 2014 is the "FREE" fare for senior passengers Mon to Thurs. This was the latest announcement by the BC Gov as they deal with the aging demographic bubble!! I think it is changing to a 50% discount on the passenger fare real soon. Just when I was getting close, they change the rules!

I think I should go have a good cup of tea now.
Old 01-01-2014, 06:08 PM   #19

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
JohnB wrote: The Duffy Lake route is a winding highway but who is in a hurry when camping and you are busy craning your neck to see the mountains?

If you plan on driving the Duffy Lake Road, best to leave the neck craning to the passengers <g>.

Doug
NuthatchBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 06:16 PM   #20

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I last drove the Duffy Lake Road probably 30 years ago in a 2wd Datsun pickup. It was all gravel and switchbacks at that time. You had to go like stink into the corner in order to have enough momentum to get up the next hill.
We were heading for Bridge River and at one point the road became two tracks through the bush, but we made it, even without road signs and GPS.
I gather it's been paved and improved since then.
Tourism BC probably has info on this as a circle route.