Travel from BC to the USA. - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 08-23-2017, 03:06 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia
Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, 2008 FJ Cruiser (it's like sitting in a prozac tablet)
Posts: 38
Travel from BC to the USA.

Hi Folks,

We are contemplating a trip down to Moab, I'm an avid mountain biker and the scenery there and the rides are amazing.

What are the does and don'ts of crossing the border with a caravan? Equally what are the important issues when traveling with an out of country trailer in the USA? We are total noobs in this game.

We want to take the Escape, but wondering what do folk do with respect to food when crossing the boarder? Do you load up at home and its all good, or do you head south, essentially bare and stop off at the nearest WholeFoods or Costco and stock up there? any sugestions of where to stock up? When coming back, does one donate or dump opened food stuffs as one heads back to Canada?

I've headed south a few times and always seem to get short straw at the border, not so much recently, but I really don't want us to get turned back.

I notice that the speed limit with trailers seems to be generally set at a max of 50MPH? Not too much of an issue, who really wants to be hurtling along towing, but how vociferous are the cops about speed enforcement?

any tricks/tips/traps guidance will be gratefully received.

Regards

David
__________________

DavidF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 03:29 PM   #2
Site Team
 
cpaharley2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Chilliwack, British Columbia
Trailer: Escape#4, 2019 Escape21 DejaView pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Posts: 19,799
If you check the border website they have a list of prohibited foods. Basically any fresh fruit or vegetables into the states is not allowed. But as soon as you cross there is a food market to buy these items. Returning is the same, dispose of fresh items and once back into Canada you are on your own. Breads, snacks, milk and eggs are okay. Booze and cigarettes have their own rules. Otherwise, if you pets they need doc's of their shots. Enjoy your trip, we are getting ready to cross for the 4th time this year so it has become routine, so to speak.
California speed limit is 55 for trailers, otherwise in other states you follow the general rule. Make sure your auto insurance is transferrable to the states and you have some sort of road service option, cell phones are different also below the border.
__________________

__________________
Jim
"Never in doubt,..... often wrong!"
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 04:28 PM   #3
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Seattle, Washington
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17 - in September!
Posts: 8
Travel medical insurance that will cover you in case you're injured while mountain biking.
Cascadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 04:41 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: North Van., British Columbia
Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Posts: 4,926
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidF View Post
Hi Folks,

We want to take the Escape, but wondering what do folk do with respect to food when crossing the boarder? Do you load up at home and its all good, or do you head south, essentially bare and stop off at the nearest WholeFoods or Costco and stock up there? any sugestions of where to stock up? When coming back, does one donate or dump opened food stuffs as one heads back to Canada?


I notice that the speed limit with trailers seems to be generally set at a max of 50MPH? Not too much of an issue, who really wants to be hurtling along towing, but how vociferous are the cops about speed enforcement?


David
We cross very frequently.

Food rarely used to be an issue. Now, more so. You can check their website for allowed and prohibited foods. But it's not foolproof and a mistake, no matter how trivial, will be entered in their data base.

Our policy now is nothing but hard goods when crossing. It's not as if food stores are scarce. And, yes, we have given away fresh stuff before crossing.

Speed limit 50 mph? Uh-oh and I was keeping my speeds this past weekend to no more than 70. Speed limits vary by state. The one that irks me is California's 55 when towing. A little too slow for me to stay in o/d so I'm always speeding.

I've crisscrossed the US multiple times and never ever been stopped or questioned about my "foreign" license plate.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 04:58 PM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia
Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, 2008 FJ Cruiser (it's like sitting in a prozac tablet)
Posts: 38
cpaharley2008, Ron and Cascadian,

Thanks for your comments. Much appreciated. I'll check the border web site.

As Ron says though, its a bit hit and miss in my experience and depends on the officials you deal with. We'll probably go with the hard goods only. Bit of an issue as we like to pre-pack particularly our meat and freeze it before we load the van.

It takes a while to freeze in the fridge in the van.

Cascadian, I always carry medical insurance when travelling, but have not needed it so far. We see more carnage on the roads than the mountains! I ride quite defensively. Slow and steady not fast and furious, but accidents do happen.

Regards

David
DavidF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 05:17 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Moyie Springs, Idaho
Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Posts: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidF View Post
Hi Folks,

We are contemplating a trip down to Moab, I'm an avid mountain biker and the scenery there and the rides are amazing.

What are the does and don'ts of crossing the border with a caravan? Equally what are the important issues when traveling with an out of country trailer in the USA? We are total noobs in this game.

We want to take the Escape, but wondering what do folk do with respect to food when crossing the boarder? Do you load up at home and its all good, or do you head south, essentially bare and stop off at the nearest WholeFoods or Costco and stock up there? any sugestions of where to stock up? When coming back, does one donate or dump opened food stuffs as one heads back to Canada?

I've headed south a few times and always seem to get short straw at the border, not so much recently, but I really don't want us to get turned back.

I notice that the speed limit with trailers seems to be generally set at a max of 50MPH? Not too much of an issue, who really wants to be hurtling along towing, but how vociferous are the cops about speed enforcement?

any tricks/tips/traps guidance will be gratefully received.

Regards

David
Our small border crossing at Porthill, ID is only open 7am to 11pm and has always been a nice crossing because it is not overly busy. Eastport, ID is a bit busier but nothing like many of the other border crossings. Anyway, if I can do this correctly, I am attaching a pdf of a sheet that Customs and Border Protection provides at these two crossings (their main office is Bonners Ferry, ID).

We often bring back fruits and meats purchased at Creston, BC. This sheet explains the do's and don'ts. One would assume these rules apply to the other crossings (at least between BC and USA) but one never knows for sure.
__________________
Keith & Lauren
2018 Escape 19
2019 RAM 1500 5.7L V8
New Adventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 05:20 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Moyie Springs, Idaho
Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Posts: 143
just noticed the attachment is too big as a pdf. Will see if it scans in as a jpeg withing the size limits.
__________________
Keith & Lauren
2018 Escape 19
2019 RAM 1500 5.7L V8
New Adventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 05:39 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
BCnomad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: O town, British Columbia
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
Posts: 1,470
https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...s.-from-canada

What Can I Bring Into Canada in Terms Of Food, Plant, Animal and Related Products? - Food - Canadian Food Inspection Agency

One problem is the list can change without notice.

I recommend a hand written list of fridge/freezer contents and the trailer license plate to hand over if the guard wishes.
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 05:51 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Moyie Springs, Idaho
Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Posts: 143
It took a bit to shrink it down to allowable size. Hopefully it is still readable. Good luck in your travels.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AgrucultureFromCanada.JPG (162.7 KB, 49 views)
__________________
Keith & Lauren
2018 Escape 19
2019 RAM 1500 5.7L V8
New Adventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 06:26 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
KarenH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Bellingham and Glacier, Washington
Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Posts: 1,981
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Speed limit while towing in Washington State is 60 mph. Of course, it seems that speed limits are mere suggestions to some on this forum. But this attitude corroborates the surveys that show that 93 of all drivers think they are above average. Even I remember enough from my statistics class to laugh at that.

I drive the speed limit...a conscious (and conscientious) decision on my part for someone my age.
__________________
Karen Hulford
2013 Escape 15A, "Egbert"
Ford 150 XLT 5.8L
Bellingham, Washington
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 06:39 PM   #11
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia
Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, 2008 FJ Cruiser (it's like sitting in a prozac tablet)
Posts: 38
Thanks All great and useful input.

Special thanks to New Adventures for your efforts in posting the note. \\

Regards

David
DavidF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 06:52 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: North Van., British Columbia
Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Posts: 4,926
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Adventures View Post
This sheet explains the do's and don'ts. One would assume these rules apply to the other crossings (at least between BC and USA) but one never knows for sure.
One never knows for sure. I've crossed the BC border countless times but also the Alaska border, the Mexican border and Marine borders with a boat. The list of what's acceptable seems to be interpreted differently at each of them. Some of laidback, just put it in the garbage can to others reading you the riot act and placing your felony into the data base.

So the best policy is to check as much as you can about the eligibility of an item but, if in doubt, just don't take it.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 08:23 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Whidbey Island, Washington
Trailer: 2011 Escape 15A
Posts: 996
If you have a pet, wait and buy food. Or check carefully as to what is allowed, and make sure it is in the original package.
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 08:54 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
gbaglo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: North Vancouver, British Columbia
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
Posts: 13,831
U.S., Canada and Mexico are currently in negotiation for a new North American Free Trade Agreement ( NAFTA ).
What do you think will be the policy of any given country on any given day?
__________________
2009 Escape 17B "Toad"
2008 Toyota RAV4 V6 Sport
North Vancouver, British Columbia

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 09:07 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Posts: 11,990
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
U.S., Canada and Mexico are currently in negotiation for a new North American Free Trade Agreement ( NAFTA ).
What do you think will be the policy of any given country on any given day?
A expect that a person could order a new Escape, wait for it to be built, take a trip to circumnavigate the continent (with half a dozen border crossings), and then sell the trailer... in the time it will take for the current round of negotiations to change NAFTA. Not discussing the politics, just observing the reality of the time required for international negotiations and federal regulatory changes.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 12:13 AM   #16
Senior Member
 
Mike Lewis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Santa Rosa County, Florida
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Posts: 2,164
I don't think firewood has been mentioned, but they get wound up about transporting firewood across the border nowadays. My trailer uses propane instead, thank you very much.

On my last border crossing back into the U.S. with my trailer:

U.S. border guard, a pretty redhead, after seeing my license plate: "Where in Florida are you from?"

Me: "I'm from Milton."

Her: "Milton! I'm from Crestview!" (next county over)

Me: "Crestview! What are you doing here?"

Her: "No-- What are YOU doing here?"

Then she had the "ag inspector" search my trailer because I mentioned a bunch of bananas. I always forget the bananas.
__________________
Mike Lewis
Photos and travelogues here: mikelewisimages.com
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 02:43 AM   #17
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: North Van., British Columbia
Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Posts: 4,926
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
I don't think firewood has been mentioned, but they get wound up about transporting firewood across the border nowadays. My trailer uses propane instead, thank you very much.

On my last border crossing back into the U.S. with my trailer:

U.S. border guard, a pretty redhead, after seeing my license plate: "Where in Florida are you from?"

Me: "I'm from Milton."

Her: "Milton! I'm from Crestview!" (next county over)

Me: "Crestview! What are you doing here?"

Her: "No-- What are YOU doing here?"

Then she had the "ag inspector" search my trailer because I mentioned a bunch of bananas. I always forget the bananas.
Yes, firewood is really on their radar now. Much more than before. That and transporting it to different areas.

Sometimes the whole process drives me bananas, and that's without the watercraft inspections.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 08:55 AM   #18
Senior Member
 
gbaglo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: North Vancouver, British Columbia
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
Posts: 13,831
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
just observing the reality of the time required for international negotiations and federal regulatory changes.
My point is, in the thrust and parry of negotiation, rules are used to enforce a position. Has nothing to do with the resulting agreement. It's all about the process.
__________________
2009 Escape 17B "Toad"
2008 Toyota RAV4 V6 Sport
North Vancouver, British Columbia

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 12:53 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Olathe, Kansas
Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
Posts: 1,102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Yes, firewood is really on their radar now. Much more than before. That and transporting it to different areas.

Sometimes the whole process drives me bananas, and that's without the watercraft inspections.

Ron
Were still looking for that perfect gas fire bowl but haven't found it yet. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 02:10 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: North Van., British Columbia
Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Posts: 4,926
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren & Cathy View Post
Were still looking for that perfect gas fire bowl but haven't found it yet. Loren
Me neither but in the meantime I bury my Little Red Campfire in the sand, throw a few mesquite twigs on it and pretend that it's a "real" fire.

Ron
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P2030089_resize.JPG (150.3 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg P2210254_resize.JPG (110.5 KB, 12 views)
__________________

Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Escape Trailer Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:27 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.
×