Travel from BC to the USA. - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login

Old 08-23-2017, 02:06 PM   #1

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, 2008 FJ Cruiser (it's like sitting in a prozac tablet)
Travel from BC to the USA.

Hi Folks,

We are contemplating a trip down to Moab, I'm an avid mountain biker and the scenery there and the rides are amazing.

What are the does and don'ts of crossing the border with a caravan? Equally what are the important issues when traveling with an out of country trailer in the USA? We are total noobs in this game.

We want to take the Escape, but wondering what do folk do with respect to food when crossing the boarder? Do you load up at home and its all good, or do you head south, essentially bare and stop off at the nearest WholeFoods or Costco and stock up there? any sugestions of where to stock up? When coming back, does one donate or dump opened food stuffs as one heads back to Canada?

I've headed south a few times and always seem to get short straw at the border, not so much recently, but I really don't want us to get turned back.

I notice that the speed limit with trailers seems to be generally set at a max of 50MPH? Not too much of an issue, who really wants to be hurtling along towing, but how vociferous are the cops about speed enforcement?

any tricks/tips/traps guidance will be gratefully received.

Regards

David
DavidF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 02:29 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
If you check the border website they have a list of prohibited foods. Basically any fresh fruit or vegetables into the states is not allowed. But as soon as you cross there is a food market to buy these items. Returning is the same, dispose of fresh items and once back into Canada you are on your own. Breads, snacks, milk and eggs are okay. Booze and cigarettes have their own rules. Otherwise, if you pets they need doc's of their shots. Enjoy your trip, we are getting ready to cross for the 4th time this year so it has become routine, so to speak.
California speed limit is 55 for trailers, otherwise in other states you follow the general rule. Make sure your auto insurance is transferrable to the states and you have some sort of road service option, cell phones are different also below the border.
Old 08-23-2017, 03:28 PM   #3

Trailer: 2023 5.0
Travel medical insurance that will cover you in case you're injured while mountain biking.
Cascadian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 03:41 PM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidF View Post
Hi Folks,

We want to take the Escape, but wondering what do folk do with respect to food when crossing the boarder? Do you load up at home and its all good, or do you head south, essentially bare and stop off at the nearest WholeFoods or Costco and stock up there? any sugestions of where to stock up? When coming back, does one donate or dump opened food stuffs as one heads back to Canada?

I notice that the speed limit with trailers seems to be generally set at a max of 50MPH? Not too much of an issue, who really wants to be hurtling along towing, but how vociferous are the cops about speed enforcement?

David
We cross very frequently.

Food rarely used to be an issue. Now, more so. You can check their website for allowed and prohibited foods. But it's not foolproof and a mistake, no matter how trivial, will be entered in their data base.

Our policy now is nothing but hard goods when crossing. It's not as if food stores are scarce. And, yes, we have given away fresh stuff before crossing.

Speed limit 50 mph? Uh-oh and I was keeping my speeds this past weekend to no more than 70. Speed limits vary by state. The one that irks me is California's 55 when towing. A little too slow for me to stay in o/d so I'm always speeding.

I've crisscrossed the US multiple times and never ever been stopped or questioned about my "foreign" license plate.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 03:58 PM   #5

cpaharley2008, Ron and Cascadian,

Thanks for your comments. Much appreciated. I'll check the border web site.

As Ron says though, its a bit hit and miss in my experience and depends on the officials you deal with. We'll probably go with the hard goods only. Bit of an issue as we like to pre-pack particularly our meat and freeze it before we load the van.

It takes a while to freeze in the fridge in the van.

Cascadian, I always carry medical insurance when travelling, but have not needed it so far. We see more carnage on the roads than the mountains! I ride quite defensively. Slow and steady not fast and furious, but accidents do happen.

Regards

David
Old 08-23-2017, 04:17 PM   #6

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidF View Post
Hi Folks,

We are contemplating a trip down to Moab, I'm an avid mountain biker and the scenery there and the rides are amazing.

What are the does and don'ts of crossing the border with a caravan? Equally what are the important issues when traveling with an out of country trailer in the USA? We are total noobs in this game.

I've headed south a few times and always seem to get short straw at the border, not so much recently, but I really don't want us to get turned back.

any tricks/tips/traps guidance will be gratefully received.

Regards

David
Our small border crossing at Porthill, ID is only open 7am to 11pm and has always been a nice crossing because it is not overly busy. Eastport, ID is a bit busier but nothing like many of the other border crossings. Anyway, if I can do this correctly, I am attaching a pdf of a sheet that Customs and Border Protection provides at these two crossings (their main office is Bonners Ferry, ID).

We often bring back fruits and meats purchased at Creston, BC. This sheet explains the do's and don'ts. One would assume these rules apply to the other crossings (at least between BC and USA) but one never knows for sure.
New Adventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 04:20 PM   #7

just noticed the attachment is too big as a pdf. Will see if it scans in as a jpeg withing the size limits.
Old 08-23-2017, 04:39 PM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...s.-from-canada

What Can I Bring Into Canada in Terms Of Food, Plant, Animal and Related Products? - Food - Canadian Food Inspection Agency

One problem is the list can change without notice.

I recommend a hand written list of fridge/freezer contents and the trailer license plate to hand over if the guard wishes.
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 04:51 PM   #9

It took a bit to shrink it down to allowable size. Hopefully it is still readable. Good luck in your travels.
Attached Thumbnails
AgrucultureFromCanada.JPG  
Old 08-23-2017, 05:26 PM   #10

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Speed limit while towing in Washington State is 60 mph. Of course, it seems that speed limits are mere suggestions to some on this forum. But this attitude corroborates the surveys that show that 93 of all drivers think they are above average. Even I remember enough from my statistics class to laugh at that.

I drive the speed limit...a conscious (and conscientious) decision on my part for someone my age.
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 05:39 PM   #11

Thanks All great and useful input.

Special thanks to New Adventures for your efforts in posting the note. \\

Regards

David
Old 08-23-2017, 05:52 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Adventures View Post
This sheet explains the do's and don'ts. One would assume these rules apply to the other crossings (at least between BC and USA) but one never knows for sure.
One never knows for sure. I've crossed the BC border countless times but also the Alaska border, the Mexican border and Marine borders with a boat. The list of what's acceptable seems to be interpreted differently at each of them. Some of laidback, just put it in the garbage can to others reading you the riot act and placing your felony into the data base.

So the best policy is to check as much as you can about the eligibility of an item but, if in doubt, just don't take it.

Ron
Old 08-23-2017, 07:23 PM   #13

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
If you have a pet, wait and buy food. Or check carefully as to what is allowed, and make sure it is in the original package.
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 07:54 PM   #14

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
U.S., Canada and Mexico are currently in negotiation for a new North American Free Trade Agreement ( NAFTA ).
What do you think will be the policy of any given country on any given day?
Old 08-23-2017, 08:07 PM   #15

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
U.S., Canada and Mexico are currently in negotiation for a new North American Free Trade Agreement ( NAFTA ).
What do you think will be the policy of any given country on any given day?
A expect that a person could order a new Escape, wait for it to be built, take a trip to circumnavigate the continent (with half a dozen border crossings), and then sell the trailer... in the time it will take for the current round of negotiations to change NAFTA. Not discussing the politics, just observing the reality of the time required for international negotiations and federal regulatory changes.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 11:13 PM   #16

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
I don't think firewood has been mentioned, but they get wound up about transporting firewood across the border nowadays. My trailer uses propane instead, thank you very much.

On my last border crossing back into the U.S. with my trailer:

U.S. border guard, a pretty redhead, after seeing my license plate: "Where in Florida are you from?"

Me: "I'm from Milton."

Her: "Milton! I'm from Crestview!" (next county over)

Me: "Crestview! What are you doing here?"

Her: "No-- What are YOU doing here?"

Then she had the "ag inspector" search my trailer because I mentioned a bunch of bananas. I always forget the bananas.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 01:43 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
I don't think firewood has been mentioned, but they get wound up about transporting firewood across the border nowadays. My trailer uses propane instead, thank you very much.

On my last border crossing back into the U.S. with my trailer:

U.S. border guard, a pretty redhead, after seeing my license plate: "Where in Florida are you from?"

Me: "I'm from Milton."

Her: "Milton! I'm from Crestview!" (next county over)

Me: "Crestview! What are you doing here?"

Her: "No-- What are YOU doing here?"

Then she had the "ag inspector" search my trailer because I mentioned a bunch of bananas. I always forget the bananas.
Yes, firewood is really on their radar now. Much more than before. That and transporting it to different areas.

Sometimes the whole process drives me bananas, and that's without the watercraft inspections.

Ron
Old 08-24-2017, 07:55 AM   #18

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
just observing the reality of the time required for international negotiations and federal regulatory changes.
My point is, in the thrust and parry of negotiation, rules are used to enforce a position. Has nothing to do with the resulting agreement. It's all about the process.
Old 08-24-2017, 11:53 AM   #19

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Yes, firewood is really on their radar now. Much more than before. That and transporting it to different areas.

Sometimes the whole process drives me bananas, and that's without the watercraft inspections.

Ron
Were still looking for that perfect gas fire bowl but haven't found it yet. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 01:10 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren & Cathy View Post
Were still looking for that perfect gas fire bowl but haven't found it yet. Loren
Me neither but in the meantime I bury my Little Red Campfire in the sand, throw a few mesquite twigs on it and pretend that it's a "real" fire.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
P2030089_resize.JPG   P2210254_resize.JPG