Travel Warnings - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login

Old 08-15-2015, 03:36 PM   #1

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2020 Toyota Sienna
Travel Warnings

It would be nice to have information in one spot with regard to places that are difficult to traverse and may cause the unwary some problems.

Some examples: "Black Rock Mountain State Park, Georgia
This last weekend was the inaugural trip in our 5.0 "Day Break" and what a good time we had. 2 families actually visited our campsite to see the camper and lots of folk just stared or took pictures. This is a great camp ground, but be advised that there is a 2 mile climb at a 18 - 20 percent grade up to the campsites and some of the pads were very difficult to get into."

"I should have realized something was amiss when I saw the road signs approaching the pass, warning that trailers weren’t allowed from November until May, but it wasn’t until we had actually started the ascent that we noticed the “Steep 10% grade for 5 miles” sign. By then, there was no place to turn around so we had to commit. Not only was the grade steep, there were precious few turnouts -- which we couldn’t have used anyway without running the risk of not getting started uphill again! Our only saving grace was the fact that there was an older RV two cars ahead of us (he didn’t check the route either ... obviously) who was going slow enough to make us look like we were just in the traffic flow. Of course, at the summit, he pulled over, probably thinking that he was doomed as it’s a 10%, 5 mile grade on either side of the pass. We went down just fine even though there were a few prayers being murmured along the way (and more than a few thanking our lucky stars we had the brake controller). Later, I checked some RV forums and laughed as I read the comments: DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, ATTEMPT THE TETON PASS IN AN RV OR PULLING A TRAILER. Live and learn."

"Towing through Sonora Pass in California, brakes smoking down a 26% grade. Pretty scary moment.

Towing through the Smithsonian Back Country Byway. Very rough and steep road."

While I also think it would be a good idea to get the Mountain Directory West, it would be nice it know of other situations as well such as very twisty and narrow roads plus to have the information in one easy to find place with labels as to areas as well.

Just a thought.
Old 08-15-2015, 06:02 PM   #2

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Since two of our offspring are computer engineers working for Garmin, I will prod them about this. I think there is probably a corporate suggestion system for product development ideas. Wouldn't it be nice if your GPS would automatically steer clear of RV-unfriendly routes?

In the meantime, do not under any circumstances drive Old Priests Grade to approach Yosemite National Park! --Liz
Old 08-15-2015, 06:28 PM   #3

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Automotive GPS-based navigation systems routinely include a setting to indicate the type of vehicle, and change route recommendations accordingly. This does not always include RV, and there are models specifically for RVs that include this feature. Since this is just software, you're actually paying a premium price to get the same product but with some additional software - this is how they get the minority who care about this to pay for the development (including getting the data needed).

The Garmin RV 760LMT is an example of a RV-specific unit. Features include
Quote:
RV 760LMT comes with detailed maps for the U.S. and Canada that include RV-related restrictions, such as bridge heights, for most major roads and highways. You just enter your vehicle’s height, weight, length and width¹ and you’ll get routes suitable for your RV.
I don't know if it considers grades, or avoids roads that are narrow but still passable by vehicles of the RV's width. I suppose one could set a greater width than actually true for the trailer, and it would avoid very narrow roads.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 07:33 PM   #4

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandra L View Post
It would be nice to have information in one spot with regard to places that are difficult to traverse and may cause the unwary some problems.
I agree. I thought there was something like that already, but you're saying there isn't? Major bummer. How does one find out ahead of time?

When I got the Trip Tik for my month-long RV rental from AAA, I thought they would warn me about roads too twisty for the motorhome. Nope, didn't say anything. Fortunately I got through that area just fine, but it was quite the knuckle whitener time.

So, you have a 5.0TA then? Guess you get to update your bio info on the left side of the screen!

NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 07:38 PM   #5

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvomaha View Post
Since two of our offspring are computer engineers working for Garmin, I will prod them about this. I think there is probably a corporate suggestion system for product development ideas. Wouldn't it be nice if your GPS would automatically steer clear of RV-unfriendly routes?
Hey, while you're at it, tell them that when you use the back-up camera that works with the Garmin, it should have a feature where it'll switch back to your programmed route when you take it out of the camera mode. It doesn't. It goes back to the beginning screen and you have to program your trip in again. I ended up using both my new Garmin for the back-up camera and my old one for the route. Not ideal, though, as the old Garmin doesn't show which lane you need multi-lane exits. PITA

I already submitted this suggestion to them months ago, but, of course, never heard from them about it.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 07:53 PM   #6

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
I can't speak about Magellan or Tom Tom, but I have had a Garmin for many years. I affectionately have named it "Stupid" because of all the times it would have gotten me in trouble had I followed its instructions. It once detoured me a mile down the road and then a mile back on the other side on access roads rather than straight through an intersection to the other side. Or the time it tried to send me down a dirt road to a swamp rather than taking the main road to a Kentucky State Park. I keep a salt shaker in the tow vehicle because I now take everything the Garmin says with a grain of salt. And every time I get tthe message that the maps are out of date and upgrade it, nothing gets corrected. Garmin has been in business for several years, but still has a long way to go to truly be a trustworthy product. It's better than nothing, but not much better. I use it more to find points of interest at my destination rather than point to point navigation.
Old 08-15-2015, 08:04 PM   #7

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
My Garmin is useful because it does tell me which lane to be in. Other than that, I think it has a "mess with them" feature that randomly decides to tell me to get on or off the interstate or drive 10 miles out of the way. From the reviews on amazon, it seems the RV ones have that feature too.

Most injuries injuries in old men occur because they think they are young men!
bisonbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 08:51 PM   #8

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 #8
We like our Garmin but use other resources as well when on the road. Here is another great resource:

Mountain Driving Guide for Truckers, RV and Motorhome Drivers

We have used the western edition but since we plan to do more traveling we may get the eastern edition. I notice they have electronic options now too.

Safe travels!
Kathie
Dave&Kathie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 08:54 PM   #9

Trailer: 2014 17B;2012 Nissan Frontier SV 4
Is the mountain guide any good for us Canucks?

Larry
LarryandLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 09:21 PM   #10

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
#@()$#*!! Garmin $J#@)$*!!...
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 09:26 PM   #11

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandra L View Post
Just a thought.
Well, it's a good thought. The only difficulty I see is that there's a variety of risk assessment among folks. One situation might cause terror for some and cause others to shrug and brush off the situation. Depends on the level of risk taker a person is. One city in South America had a warning about strangle muggings but there I was walking the dark streets at night. What would be the advice for the Moki Dugway highway?

Ron

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 10:27 PM   #12

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
All navigation systems have faults, due to incomplete or obsolete data, which is supplied by other companies. Paper maps are the same. Common sense avoids most problems which could otherwise result.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
The only difficulty I see is that there's a variety of risk assessment among folks. One situation might cause terror for some and cause others to shrug and brush off the situation. Depends on the level of risk taker a person is.
I agree... and in addition to risk tolerance, skill and experience also matter.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 01:26 AM   #13

Trailer: 2015 17A - Ready for more Maiden Voyages ....
I seem to have pretty good luck with Google Maps on my c-phone. Am I missing something here?
Old 08-16-2015, 01:40 AM   #14

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
Yea I use Google maps on my phone usually works great sent me on an un expected short cut over some mountains on the way to Cannon Beach I did get to skip a lot of traffic but a twisty mountain road through the wilderness pretty but would not have liked it in the dark or bad weather drove through a town called Mist almost no cars on the road on the mountain.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 02:38 AM   #15

Trailer: 2015 17A - Ready for more Maiden Voyages ....
Will have to look that one up ....
Old 08-16-2015, 01:41 PM   #16

Trailer: No more Escape 21
Fox Hunt, why not take from Olympia highway 12 to Montesano, then 101 to Nasella, then 401 and back again to 101 at the Astoria bridge and onto Cannon Beach?
Old 08-16-2015, 01:59 PM   #17

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickM View Post
Fox Hunt, why not take from Olympia highway 12 to Montesano, then 101 to Nasella, then 401 and back again to 101 at the Astoria bridge and onto Cannon Beach?
Oh yes the Astoria bridge . Can't forget that one . A E ticket ride in a class C with seagulls flying next to us . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 02:01 PM   #18

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2020 Toyota Sienna
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
I agree. I thought there was something like that already, but you're saying there isn't? Major bummer. How does one find out ahead of time?

When I got the Trip Tik for my month-long RV rental from AAA, I thought they would warn me about roads too twisty for the motorhome. Nope, didn't say anything. Fortunately I got through that area just fine, but it was quite the knuckle whitener time.

So, you have a 5.0TA then? Guess you get to update your bio info on the left side of the screen!

What I had in mind was posting experiences or knowledge on this forum with the additional feature of segregating areas of the country. That is if one was to plan a western trip, no current info would be needed for the eastern coast.

No, I still have my 17B "Suite Escape"...I was just posting a couple of past examples. Of course if the places have subsequent changes, that info too would be pertinent.

While its true that some may be less apprehensive than others, it is nice to know the factual info ahead of time, such as percentage road grade. For example there is a short 9% grade on Highway 44 going to/from Hat Creek, but while it caused me concern, it did not bother a friend of mine.
Old 08-16-2015, 02:34 PM   #19

Trailer: 5.0 TA - Sept. 2015, 2016 Silverado 2500 Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave&Kathie View Post
We like our Garmin but use other resources as well when on the road. Here is another great resource:

Mountain Driving Guide for Truckers, RV and Motorhome Drivers

We have used the western edition but since we plan to do more traveling we may get the eastern edition. I notice they have electronic options now too.

Safe travels!
Kathie
We just ordered this book (direct from publisher) for our trip to get our 5.0 TA...in a few weeks! Great company to order from. Placed the order Friday about 9:30 am and by 11:30 it was shipped out. I would imagine we should have it by Wednesday. (Almost like Amazon!)
Others have said how helpful it is! As much as we like most things digitized I think having a book will be easie to work with on the road. Time will tell!
Happy travels!!

Lucy
Charlie & Lucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 03:37 PM   #20

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
Being somewhat old fashioned at times, I really like my paper books and maps. I just ordered a Good Sam campground directory to see what's out there. People say if you go to Alaska, the Milepost guide is a must. Still debating on whether to join Good Sam or not. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote