Traveling back from the Escape Rally take I90 or I 84? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login

Old 03-14-2019, 01:18 PM   #1

Trailer: A lovely 2017 Escape 21C
Question Traveling back from the Escape Rally take I90 or I 84?

Looking to semi-schedule my return trip from Osoyoos and I have planned myself into Idaho and now looking for reasons to go north into North Dakota via I94, IE good things to do and places to stay. I picked up the trailer in 2017 and went via I90 and returned via the National Parks (Waterton, Glacier, Yellowstone, Grand Tetons and Rocky Mountain) and then east via I80, so I know that area but admit that I haven't been to North Dakota . I have approximately 2 weeks for the return. Thanks for any information.
Old 03-14-2019, 01:35 PM   #2

Trailer: 2023 21
Theodore Roosevelt national park was a nice surprise.
Traverson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 01:45 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I believe the South Dakota Badlands extend up into western North Dakota, so if you missed them in South Dakota, look for them up north. North Dakota Badlands - Badlands of North Dakota
on edit, I see that these badlands are part of Theodore Roosevelt NP as previously mentioned.
Old 03-14-2019, 01:52 PM   #4

Trailer: TBD
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I believe the South Dakota Badlands extend up into western North Dakota, so if you missed them in South Dakota, look for them up north. North Dakota Badlands - Badlands of North Dakota
on edit, I see that these badlands are part of Theodore Roosevelt NP as previously mentioned.
North Dakota and South Dakota Badlands are completely different and separated by many 100's of miles but both worth visiting. And so is the Theodore Roosevelt NP. If you are around the Fort Peck Dam in Montana make sure to stop into the natural history museum.
Old 03-14-2019, 03:59 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
Having lived in Fargo ND the two options mentioned so far are the most popular choices in the area. While scenic and wild the North Dakota Badlands do not compare to those in South Dakota. Plus in South Dakota you have Mt. Rushmore, Crazy Horse and best of all Custer State Park. Spend several days in one of the campgrounds in Custer SP and base your travels to Spearfish Canyon, the Needles, Rushmore and the scenic drives in the area.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 06:44 PM   #6

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
I am a student of the Northern Plains Native American people. I found the museums and visitor centers detailing the Mandan and Hidatsu people fascinating. This area is north of Teddy Roosevelt. In Teddy Roosevelt I’ve enjoyed the Wild horses and other wildlife . The pitchfork steak dinner at Medora was enjoyable to me. Large expanses of undeveloped land with few residents bore others but fascinate me. To hear the clear song of a meadowlark from a roadside, to see the easy lope of a coyote across a rugged landscape and to count a million stars in the Milky Way. That’s the West to me. Bump up Patsy Montana doing “ I want to be a cowboy’s sweetheart,” on the you tube. I hope you will enjoy.
Iowa Dave
Old 03-14-2019, 07:34 PM   #7

Trailer: TBD
I had the pleasure of driving through the North Dakota Badlands at dawn after a rain. The colors were spectacular. Surpassed only by the South Dakota Badlands at dawn. When I was a young man, I was part of a group of firefighter-medics that ran in relay across South Dakota as a fundraiser. One of the legs that I ran was at dawn in the South Dakota Badlands. Very memorable.
Old 03-15-2019, 10:07 AM   #8

Trailer: 21NE picked up in May 2022
OK in the interest of full disclosure I am a geologist by training and love interesting weird stuff including fossilized rhinos and camels. I love this little spot in northern Nebraska right on US Rte 20. it is part of the University of Nebraska I think.

Randy in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 10:44 AM   #9

Dinosaurs and prehistoric stuff

In a further extrapolation of full disclosure and since I get a kickback from the Montana lovers and Big Sky junkies association Inc, I must apprise you of the fact that there is a dinosaur trail of 14 museums in Montana. I’ve been to a couple. And I should also alert you to the Mastodon site north of Hot springs South Dakota in the southern end of the Black Hills. There is pretty good camping near this attraction at Angostura State Recreation area. It’s about $10 US to visit this attraction.
In Montana the museum at Choteau just outside of Glacier is fun and on the other end of the state the Carter County museum at Ekalaka is good too. It’s not all that far to the site of the Little Bighorn where Custer got too big for his pants and paid dearly.
There’s a lot to do in Montana. My first trip there was in 1969 and after 50 years I feel Ike I haven’t scratched the surface. But I’ve tried.
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 11:07 AM   #10

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Montana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
In a further extrapolation of..............There’s a lot to do in Montana. My first trip there was in 1969 and after 50 years I feel Ike I haven’t scratched the surface. But I’ve tried.
Iowa Dave

You pretty much have to go through Montana, either at the north on US-2 or the south on I-90 to Billings, then pick I-94 for N.Dakota or I-90 for Wyoming and S.Dakota.
Or, you could do like we had the great opportunity to do, go across the middle on US-87 and find how the middle of the state has fun.
Chokecherry days - in the geographic center:
http://lewistownchokecherry.com/

Then don't miss What the Hay:
https://www.montanabaletrail.com/
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 11:26 AM   #11

Roads

I have driven quite a bit of 87 and the north south 89 too. Great highways. I will say that North Dakota had the best roadside sense of humor. I spied a white object far off along the road in a remote area. When I got close I could see it was an abandoned stove with the door open. The sign in front reminded us that livestock roams free in that area. It said “OPEN RANGE”.
True story
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote