Traveling the Northeast US - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login

Old 03-04-2017, 09:23 PM   #1

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 / "RAMble On!"
Traveling the Northeast US

Hi all, just wanted to let you know if you see us be sure to say Hi! My wife and I are recently retired and are traveling the Eastern states for 11 months.

We have a 2016 Escape 19 and we left our hometown of Floresville Texas in January. So far we've been to Louisiana, Alabama, Florida and Georgia. We are doing half the US, then back home for the Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays. Then we'll head to Alaska and the Western US that we didn't see when we picked up our trailer.

We'll be in a white Ford F-150 with a cap on the back and our trailer's name is "RAMblin On". The name comes from my initials and our love of Led Zeppelin. We're chronicling our travels on my blog, www.ramblinon.com.

Any questions on campsites or attractions we've visited are welcome. We love our Escape, and we "Escaped" our normal lives! We're still learning all the proper techniques that our trailer offers, but I'm sure I'll be asking for advice every here and there. Love and Safe travels to all!
PitbullLCMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 05:07 AM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Welcome Robert, nice blog spot. Hope you are enjoying your Escape, try to attend the rally in May in Osoyoos, BC
Old 03-05-2017, 07:31 AM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by PitbullLCMC View Post
Hi all, just wanted to let you know if you see us be sure to say Hi! My wife and I are recently retired and are traveling the Eastern states for 11 months.

We have a 2016 Escape 19 and we left our hometown of Floresville Texas in January. So far we've been to Louisiana, Alabama, Florida and Georgia. We are doing half the US, then back home for the Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays. Then we'll head to Alaska and the Western US that we didn't see when we picked up our trailer.

We'll be in a white Ford F-150 with a cap on the back and our trailer's name is "RAMblin On". The name comes from my initials and our love of Led Zeppelin. We're chronicling our travels on my blog, "RAM"ble On – Travels with Rob and Laura.

Any questions on campsites or attractions we've visited are welcome. We love our Escape, and we "Escaped" our normal lives! We're still learning all the proper techniques that our trailer offers, but I'm sure I'll be asking for advice every here and there. Love and Safe travels to all!
Hi: PitbullLCMC... If you plan to be in the Niagara Falls area mid Sept you could join The Niagara Wine Escape rally there. Riverside Park Motel& Campground on the Niagara Parkway in Ontario is only 8 mi. from Buffalo N.Y. We'd love to have you join the fun!!!
BTW... we just got home after 53 days on the road. Had some great Mexican eats in San Antonio... Florida that is!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 08:33 AM   #4

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
That's a great blog-site! Back in the 70's I got as far as Marathon once, but never made it to Key West. Now I know I just got to do it with ET-19. Happy trails.
Old 03-05-2017, 11:02 AM   #5

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Awesome adventure ur on. What did the stay in Marathon cost you at the RV park? I know in Key West parks, they won't always allow our type of rig and can run $1500-5,000 for the week.
Look forward to reading about more of ur travels.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 11:22 AM   #6

Trailer: '87 Bigfoot 20DLX 5er (sold) - 2017 Escape 5.0 TA: Sep-17
Hey Rob & Laura,

One obvious attraction you should not miss is the Blue Ridge Parkway. It's not a quick, easy drive, but very scenic and well worth the effort. No stop signs, traffic lights, billboard, etc. I'm not sure if it's open this time of year. We drove it in May and it was deserted. There are some great campgrounds along the route.

A lesser known route is the Natchez Trace Parkway from Nashville to Natchez MS. It's an easy drive, 50 miles an hour for 500 miles without stop signs, billboards, traffic lights, etc. It's an extended drive in the country. I don't think there are any campgrounds on the Parkway, but you can find some just off it. This might be perfect on your way home.

Enjoy your travels!

Rich
ReagentGrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 03:54 PM   #7

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReagentGrade View Post
Hey Rob & Laura,

One obvious attraction you should not miss is the Blue Ridge Parkway. It's not a quick, easy drive, but very scenic and well worth the effort. No stop signs, traffic lights, billboard, etc. I'm not sure if it's open this time of year. We drove it in May and it was deserted. There are some great campgrounds along the route.

A lesser known route is the Natchez Trace Parkway from Nashville to Natchez MS. It's an easy drive, 50 miles an hour for 500 miles without stop signs, billboards, traffic lights, etc. It's an extended drive in the country. I don't think there are any campgrounds on the Parkway, but you can find some just off it. This might be perfect on your way home.

Enjoy your travels!

Rich
There are several Mississippi State Parks on or just off the Natchez Trace. Rate for seniors is @$15 per night and that includes water, electric, and sewer in most parks. Many "points of interest" along the trace, also.
Old 03-06-2017, 10:23 PM   #8

Welcome Robert, nice blog spot. Hope you are enjoying your Escape, try to attend the rally in May in Osoyoos, BC

We do plan on going to Canada when it's not so cold. If we're in the area we'll check it out! Thanks for the info!
Old 03-06-2017, 10:24 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: PitbullLCMC... If you plan to be in the Niagara Falls area mid Sept you could join The Niagara Wine Escape rally there. Riverside Park Motel& Campground on the Niagara Parkway in Ontario is only 8 mi. from Buffalo N.Y. We'd love to have you join the fun!!!
BTW... we just got home after 53 days on the road. Had some great Mexican eats in San Antonio... Florida that is!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake
Sounds like fun! We might be there around then! Thanks!
Old 03-06-2017, 10:25 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
That's a great blog-site! Back in the 70's I got as far as Marathon once, but never made it to Key West. Now I know I just got to do it with ET-19. Happy trails.
Thanks!
Old 03-06-2017, 10:28 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
Awesome adventure ur on. What did the stay in Marathon cost you at the RV park? I know in Key West parks, they won't always allow our type of rig and can run $1500-5,000 for the week.
Look forward to reading about more of ur travels.
We stayed at Knights Inn. It wasn't cheap, it was about 600 dollars for the week. It was a great place though! I heard next year they're closing and building a resort there. Maybe rumor, but that's what the other residents (snowbirds) were telling us.
Old 03-06-2017, 10:33 PM   #12

Quote:
Hey Rob & Laura,

Enjoy your travels!

Rich
Thanks for the info Rich, we'll definitely be driving the Blue Ridge parkway. We might park the trailer somewhere close first though.
Old 03-06-2017, 10:37 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
There are several Mississippi State Parks on or just off the Natchez Trace. Rate for seniors is @$15 per night and that includes water, electric, and sewer in most parks. Many "points of interest" along the trace, also.
Those are great rates! We already hit Mississippi though. We'll be working our way Northwest from North Carolina into Tennessee, then back to Kentucky and then north to Virginia. Thanks for the info though!
Old 03-07-2017, 07:14 PM   #14

Trailer: '87 Bigfoot 20DLX 5er (sold) - 2017 Escape 5.0 TA: Sep-17
Quote:
Thanks for the info Rich, we'll definitely be driving the Blue Ridge parkway. We might park the trailer somewhere close first though.

Will you park the trailer because you don't feel comfortable driving the BRP with it or for some other reason? If you're not comfortable, I would not worry too much. It's a long drive and with the trailer, you can take your time and camp at the campgrounds.

It's true that it's a harder drive than the Natchez, but that one is dead easy. The BRP just requires that you pay attention and slow down for curves. If you go the speed marked on the signs, to should be fine. If in doubt, go slower. I think you'll enjoy it a lot more with the trailer. That's why you bought it!

Rich
ReagentGrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 09:58 AM   #15

Quote:
Will you park the trailer because you don't feel comfortable driving the BRP with it or for some other reason? If you're not comfortable, I would not worry too much. It's a long drive and with the trailer, you can take your time and camp at the campgrounds.

It's true that it's a harder drive than the Natchez, but that one is dead easy. The BRP just requires that you pay attention and slow down for curves. If you go the speed marked on the signs, to should be fine. If in doubt, go slower. I think you'll enjoy it a lot more with the trailer. That's why you bought it!

Rich
Actually we'll be crossing through that area East to West so we'll only be near a portion of the road. We'll be at a campsite nearby, so we'll drive just a part of it. I don't mind pulling the trailer, but when it comes to steep grades and winding curves on mountains, I'd rather not. Thanks for the info though!
Old 03-08-2017, 10:38 AM   #16

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Actually we'll be crossing through that area East to West so we'll only be near a portion of the road. We'll be at a campsite nearby, so we'll drive just a part of it. I don't mind pulling the trailer, but when it comes to steep grades and winding curves on mountains, I'd rather not. Thanks for the info though!
Hi: PitbullLCMC... We towed part of the Blue Ridge Pkwy with our 5.0 and GMC short box pickup. Getting up there isn't a challenge... coming down can be a brake test!!! Here's a few pics. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
P1010838.jpg   P1010818.jpg   P1010830.jpg  
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 04:20 PM   #17

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
If you've towed on the West such as through Utah and Colorado, the Blue Ridge Parkway is a piece of cake! Also, due to the "transient nature" of visitors on the BRP, it is easy to get a campsite without reservations. That includes major holidays such as Memorial Day, 4th of July & Labor day. Most visitors are passing through & just stay one or two nights. The only exceptions are campgrounds on a lake.
Old 03-08-2017, 07:20 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: PitbullLCMC... We towed part of the Blue Ridge Pkwy with our 5.0 and GMC short box pickup. Getting up there isn't a challenge... coming down can be a brake test!!! Here's a few pics. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Nice Rig! Thanks!
Old 03-08-2017, 07:25 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by kstock11 View Post
If you've towed on the West such as through Utah and Colorado, the Blue Ridge Parkway is a piece of cake! Also, due to the "transient nature" of visitors on the BRP, it is easy to get a campsite without reservations. That includes major holidays such as Memorial Day, 4th of July & Labor day. Most visitors are passing through & just stay one or two nights. The only exceptions are campgrounds on a lake.
Thanks for the info! When we were in Northwestern Colorado and wanted to go to Durango Colorado, the only way was through the 550. I've been through that before in just a car so I knew it was a hairy ride. We ended up going into Utah, then south through Moab to get to Durango. I'm glad I did. I felt safer plus the extra drive was nice. We did go up Mt. St. Helens though when I took a wrong turn. That was definitely a white knuckle drive!