Traveling with pets... - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login

Old 02-24-2017, 02:59 PM   #21

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
Love it! I looked at the other photos of it as well at his site.

If I did something like that for Spike, it'd have to be super reinforced and all that. He's a big boy, especially compared to Lucy. We're not sure how much longer Lucy will be around.
Good to see someone else traveling with cats. I've been concerned about leaving my 2 home for extended trips. I have two neighbors that will come to feed them. One is in and out in minutes, while another will sit with them for a while. Seems to be cruel to leave a pet alone for 23-1/2 hours per day. This week, I took the maiden voyage with our 2. Spent 4 days and nights camping at a campground just 10 minutes up the road in case I had to bail. Fortunately, they did fine & I will look forward to a longer trip soon.
Old 02-24-2017, 03:01 PM   #22

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B/2021 F150 w/ 3.5 Ecoboost
I bought my truck, a truck camper and now my 17B Escape specifically for my dog. He goes where I go. I know this is limiting me on my travels. But so be it. Brock is a Pit...he's marked from the get-go by those who don't like or understand the breed. And he's been attacked twice by off-leash "friendly" dogs so he's now dog sensitive. We tend to hit the real back country places and the trailer is his safety spot.
Old 02-24-2017, 03:58 PM   #23

Trailer: Escape 21 Dec 2016
I travel with my cat regularly- but he's maybe not normal for a cat. I definitely think he prefers to come travelling rather than be left at home. He travels better than the dog. The dog pants away while the cat sleeps. I haven't taken him in the trailer yet but he'll love that we can take stops where he will be able to run around in something bigger than just the truck.
Tisiphone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 04:11 PM   #24

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
With my three (currently) corgis we have a couple of special needs. Jack has refractory epilepsy and in fact has already had a seizure in the trailer once. It does give him a little more room to pace afterwards than the old trailer did! I also have to crate him when I leave him as he gets into everything (meds make him hungry) so I did find his crate fits on the small dinette bench. That works great. Other times I crate him (and the others) in the car if weather allows.

Oliver uses a wheeled cart and the biggest issue there is where to put the cart when we are in the trailer. In the summer, I just leave it outside under the canopy. Other times, it goes under the dinette table (but gets in the way of getting Jack out!)

Jack and Sadie really should have a ramp or stair up to the bed. I used a set of narrow plastic stairs on our first trip but they were really in the way so I'm thinking of making a narrow ramp as that will be easier to store out of the way.

Outside the trailer I make a yard of X-pens and in nice weather they can come and go. Jack can't be left in the pen if I leave- he just leaves, too, being a Houdini dog- so he goes into the crate any time I'm not in sight.
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 06:55 PM   #25

Trailer: 2018 19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Franklin is 12 and can not get into the truck so I have to lift him in, he does jump out, whereas Hershey, who is 8 and disabled has always had to be lifted inside the truck. Hershey is the reason we need to cover the stair tread holes on the Escape, she tore a nail out 2 years ago.
Franklin is starting to ail, his legs shake and he is so attached to me, if I leave his sight he starts to bark. I would not know what to do if he goes while away from home, hopefully he will wait until we return. I treat my pets like they are my children, that is one of the reasons we have a trailer.
Bob I think you will know, rather your pet will let you know when it is time not to travel and stay, as the end approaches or is near.
Love how u luv your pup. I added the stair cover just because of one of your earlier posts to save my doggies from nail snag. Now if I can just avoid cholla.
Mucram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 09:32 AM   #26

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Josie, our new 1 year old is very high energy and gets bored quickly. She don’t just run around, she flies around. She’s dug up the yard big time, she’ll chew anything, and I have plenty ruined stuff to prove it. Three leashes, reading glasses, shoe laces, jeans cuffs, newspapers, a camera bag strap, etc, etc. She steals socks. Stuffed toys lasts a day. She’s a hunter. So, there was great concern about taking her with us on the long drive to the Quartzsite rally.

Because we feared she might turn the place upside down we got a crate for when we are gone from the house a few hours. It comes apart and fits in the truck bed, decided to bring it along. Amazingly, Josie remained calm and collected in the back seat the entire drive. Maybe it was fear of being rejected again (she’s a rescue dog returned twice by adoptees).

At Quartzsite she was tethered to the trailer with a chain. Regardless, she managed to start chewing on the black plastic black tank valve and pulled it open an inch. Gone was the plastic latch to my spare tire cover. I took to driving her deep into the BLM lands each morning, where she could be let loose to run off all that energy. After a while, when now she wouldn’t respond to my calls and I couldn’t see where she had gone, I would get back in the truck and start it up. She heard that and came running back so not to be left behind.

But we love her. She’s precocious, intelligent, affectionate, willing to learn, has adopted us. And she really likes our Escape.
Attached Thumbnails
Qtz.2.186.gif   Josie1.gif  
Old 02-25-2017, 09:52 AM   #27

Trailer: pondering.....
partial to cats but like dogs too......would think a Casita with its carpeted interior would be the ideal trailer for a cat....one big scratching post inside.
freespirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 11:51 AM   #28

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
I find traveling with two dogs is sometimes difficult they want to out a different times never sure if they really need to or just want to get out. My big dog barks at kids on bikes, skateboards etc so I have to put a bark collar on him when tied outside. The best trips for them are to the beach after lots of off leash running they sleep better. My little one needs steps to get on the bed but with the new 5.0 I guess it's won't need those anymore! I'm only taking the little one to the Rally in May because it's just easyer.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 12:30 PM   #29

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tisiphone View Post
I travel with my cat regularly- but he's maybe not normal for a cat. I definitely think he prefers to come traveling rather than be left at home.
When I rented a motorhome almost 2 years ago to see if I liked the lifestyle, I took my kitty Lucy with me. She much prefers being with me and she enjoyed the trip. She learned very quickly to stay on the bed while I was driving. I'd take her out on her leash at some of the stops and she enjoyed sniffing around, as well as poking her nose up to the open screened window.

She's been crippled in the back end for years and has muscle entropy going on. We have steps all over the place for her. I've not traveled with her in the new trailer, mainly because I haven't gone anywhere in it yet! However, I did spend some nights out there in our driveway and I took Lucy with me.

This is the steps I got from Amazon as they fold. I also found it fit perfectly in the u-shaped dinette area with the bottom on the floor, which gave me more room to get out of the dinette than the style I had used before (which we have in our house - non-folding ones from Bed, Bath & Beyond).

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I did find that it was a bit too low for her to scramble up on the bed when I was using a fluffy down comforter since she doesn't have the back leg strength. So, I just made sure the comforter was off to the side of where the top of the steps were. Most of the time I won't be using that comforter anyway.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 12:34 PM   #30

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
That is the set I bought in September for my 2 labs, they did not want to use it, I had to pick them up each time. Anyone want one at 50% off?
Old 02-25-2017, 12:35 PM   #31

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Well, I tried uploading both a photo of Lucy traveling with me and one of a video, but neither worked. Will try again.
Attached Thumbnails
sound asleep first day.jpg  
Attached Files
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote