Traveling with pets... - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-26-2016, 08:15 AM   #1

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Angry Traveling with pets...

Having just completed a cross country trip with 2 dogs, here are some of my observations. Stopping every 3 hours at a rest stop is recommended or when refueling. Bring water from home as well as their normal dog food. Do not feed them hot dogs or other fast foods. Give plenty of water everyday. There are calming treats that will reduce panting while in the car.
Motel 6, LaQuinta, TRavelLodge are pet friendly but there maybe an extra pet fee. The BestWestern here in Chilliwack is probably the nicest one for pets and try to get room a room on first floor as there are several exits and lots of grass for walking.
Bring their bed from home to put down in the room it helps to calm them.
Be prepared for accidents, take some towels and plenty of plastic bags for walking.
Always walk on a lead and be sure to have then microchipped with your cellphone number.

Finally, the downside of the 2-3 hour breaks is that they continue while you are in your room, as I'm presently up at 5 am to walk the dogs. But I would not have it any other way...
Old 09-26-2016, 08:38 AM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post

Finally, the downside of the 2-3 hour breaks is that they continue while you are in your room, as I'm presently up at 5 am to walk the dogs. But I would not have it any other way...
There is that aspect. We worried about that the first time we took our dog on a 10 hour flight to Europe. I mean what would we do if she started whining with many hours to go? No worries, many flights and never a problem. However she couldn't make up her mind; chicken or beef? She wanted some of each

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 08:58 AM   #3

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
This is a subject I've been thinking a lot about lately. Our Maltese is 13, has heart failure since last winter when we went to FL without her. The doc says 12 months. We now don't want to leave her with friends or family like we have been doing just in case something were to happen, if we go, she goes. Cancelled out of the Niagara rally as she wasn't doing good at the time.

Currently seems to be okay, have reservations for Jan/Mar in AZ and have been thinking of still going and taking her along or cancelling this trip too. Her separation anxiety seems to be worse since this has set in. Most places I can lug her around in the Sherpa, but hikes and such (our main pastime) are out. It's a tough call, planning all this out took a good amount of time.

Have a couple hotels reserved for the beginning of the trip, seems many now take pets, just google it.

Has anyone taken just 1 dog along that has separation issues? if so how'd you make out?
Old 09-26-2016, 09:15 AM   #4

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post

The dogs get the blame, but it's probably your own excitement.
Marry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 09:16 AM   #5

When we went off for 6 weeks when our first dog was a puppy she almost died, probably from separation anxiety. From that time on it was "if she can't go, we don't go". Despite the hardships of sometimes traveling in the cargo hold she always handled traveling well and we were confident that given the choice she would always choose some hardship to travel with us. Great little ice breaker and she got to do things like chase goats on Greek islands.

My choice would be, if possible, to take an ailing dog with me knowing that I'd feel bad leaving them behind and that the dog would be more comfortable knowing their humans were nearby.

Ron
Old 09-26-2016, 09:43 AM   #6

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
A Maltese is pretty small; look into dog backpacks (or frontpacks) for hiking.
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 09:46 AM   #7

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
When we went off for 6 weeks when our first dog was a puppy she almost died, probably from separation anxiety. From that time on it was "if she can't go, we don't go". Despite the hardships of sometimes traveling in the cargo hold she always handled traveling well and we were confident that given the choice she would always choose some hardship to travel with us. Great little ice breaker and she got to do things like chase goats on Greek islands.

My choice would be, if possible, to take an ailing dog with me knowing that I'd feel bad leaving them behind and that the dog would be more comfortable knowing their humans were nearby.

Ron
I think your observations are bang on. I too believe they are willing to make some sacrifices of comfort along the way just to be able to be with you, doing whatever it is you are doing.

We are very fortunate to have lots of family who know Jasper extremely well, love him lots, and take great care of him whenever, and for however long, we want. Still, even though he is well taken care of, and taken on his hour long daily walk, we know he would rather be with us where it is very comfortable.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 09:51 AM   #8

Franklin is 12 and can not get into the truck so I have to lift him in, he does jump out, whereas Hershey, who is 8 and disabled has always had to be lifted inside the truck. Hershey is the reason we need to cover the stair tread holes on the Escape, she tore a nail out 2 years ago.
Franklin is starting to ail, his legs shake and he is so attached to me, if I leave his sight he starts to bark. I would not know what to do if he goes while away from home, hopefully he will wait until we return. I treat my pets like they are my children, that is one of the reasons we have a trailer.
Bob I think you will know, rather your pet will let you know when it is time not to travel and stay, as the end approaches or is near.
Old 09-26-2016, 09:56 AM   #9

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Ben goes with us on every trailer trip. He's pretty old now - can't get around much anymore and needs his meds. When liverwurst stopped interesting him we found that "pill pockets," a packaged little tube of food you can stuff a pill inside has a taste he likes and his pills get swallowed without rejection. We found them made by "Greenies" and by "Luvsome". We also bring along bite-sized chews containing "a calming formula" made by Vetri-Science Labs under the name "Composure" that he takes for lightning storms or whenever he seems upset.
Attached Thumbnails
TvBen.jpg  
Old 09-26-2016, 09:58 AM   #10

Those products are what we use also, Myron....
Old 09-26-2016, 10:33 AM   #11

A good set of travel stops that are not too difficult to make.

269 - Pet Steps - The Wood Whisperer
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 09-26-2016, 10:42 AM   #12

Trailer: Escape 21 2016
I do not know what type of heart problem your dog has but there is a drug Pimobendan my last Airedale was on (had to get it from Canada) that has very good results in dogs with heart failure. It gave us the blessing of having a long goodby with our sweet Maggie. All of the fluid build up ceased as well as the bed wetting she was comfortable, fairly active and ate well until the week before she passed. Maybe you should ask your vet about it. In our case it was prescribed by UT Veternary Hospital in Knoxville TN.
Playdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 11:40 AM   #13

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Thanks folks, I'll look into both drugs. Be nice to be able to calm her down at times, we try to keep her out of the situations that get her worked up as it is.

She has heart failure, not sure which drugs she's on, Deb takes care of that.
Old 02-24-2017, 01:35 PM   #14

Trailer: 17
Neat cat patio Mod
source Jeff's RV Page
gocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 01:50 PM   #15

We're lucky that none of our dogs required any special care in our extensive travel with them.

Our newest dog, Gertie, seems to have adopted the Greyhound motto and "leaves the driving to us."

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
P2060133_resize.JPG  
Old 02-24-2017, 02:13 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
We're lucky that none of our dogs required any special care in our extensive travel with them.

Our newest dog, Gertie, seems to have adopted the Greyhound motto and "leaves the driving to us."

Ron
LOL, in first reading this I thought you referred to her as a Greyhound, but sure could not see it in her picture.

I too could not imagine, I guess should say do not want to, travel with a pet that did require too much special attention, other than of course the exercise, feeding and play ones.
Old 02-24-2017, 02:14 PM   #17

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Our Chocolate lab had surgery on his rear leg to repair a torn tendon which included adding a metal plate to repair the damage .
We were heading to Quincy Ca and wanted our dog to go along ,so I built a collapsible ramp so he could safely get in & out of our truck.
Our on our last 4 week trip to Canada , we left our dog at home
I believe that we were just as unhappy with this arrangement as our dog. We are planning a trip to the East Coast . I hope my wife ,the dog and I have a great trip
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 02:21 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Our Chocolate lab had surgery on his rear leg to repair a torn tendon which included adding a metal plate to repair the damage .
We were heading to Quincy Ca and wanted our dog to go along ,so I built a collapsible ramp so he could safely get in & out of our truck.
I believe that we were just as unhappy with this arrangement as our dog. We are planning a trip to the East Coast . I hope my wife ,the dog and I have a great trip
Good call. It is not worth bringing a pet if they are not going to enjoy the trip. To many people drag a pet along for their own reasons, not good ones for the pet.

Jasper is just short of 9, so still young and active, and he just loves to go with us. We did leave him behind on one two week trip where we knew we would be in US National Parks a lot, where dogs are not welcome in a lot of places. He missed fun with us, but still had lots playing with his cousins and still going for long walks every day.
Old 02-24-2017, 02:22 PM   #19

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by gocamp View Post
Neat cat patio Mod
source Jeff's RV Page
Love it! I looked at the other photos of it as well at his site.

If I did something like that for Spike, it'd have to be super reinforced and all that. He's a big boy, especially compared to Lucy. We're not sure how much longer Lucy will be around.
Attached Thumbnails
spike & lucy.jpg  
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 02:52 PM   #20

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
I hope you all enjoy it too. Life is much better with pets in my humble opinion.
GregandTeresa is offline   Reply With Quote