Trip and RV/camp site planning resources? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login

Old 12-18-2015, 09:56 AM   #1

Trailer: Used to own a 17B and a 19 Escape
Trip and RV/camp site planning resources?

I'm sure this information is on here somewhere. If so please just let me know where.

What website, book or other resource do you use to find RV/camp sites and plan your trip?

Does anyone subscribe to Escapees RV club?

How soon in advance do you typically need to reserve an RV/camp site?

I would like to be able to just have a general idea of where I want to go and plan where we are going to stay along the way.

Thanks
ichrisdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 11:12 AM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
I keep a file on my laptop of links to suggestions posted here and on other forums, go through it when planning a trip & try to hit as many interesting locations as possible. It often makes for a long trip away from the interstates, but that is what I prefer. I also keep a paper folder with notes from discussions, etc that are not available as links.

As to RV sites, I have a number of apps, but find I mostly use two. AllStays Camp & RV is a general purpose app that is good for campgrounds, propane, etc, and has basic information (usually including GPS coordinates) for each campground & a google search for RV Park Reviews, one of the best sites for user reviews. While AllStays Camp & RV covers non commercial campgrounds, I've found that The Ultimate Public Campground List often has more non commercial locations. Both are available as apps, can be used on line from a computer, and, in the case of the Ultimate Campground List, can be added as POIs to your GPS.
Old 12-18-2015, 11:31 AM   #3

Trailer: Scamp 16, TV Rav4 V6
I do not have a lot experience,but i use Good Sam Magellan GPS, they have good sam, public, and state CG. As we travel down the road we punch in campgrounds and it will give you a list as to what is available in that area, with addresses and phone #, and ratings, we call minutes ahead of time to make sure, then we hit GO TO and the lady will take you to it. Carl
civi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 12:27 PM   #4

Trailer: Bigfoot 25' 2018
We used a paper book, Woodalls, for many years. The last trip we used the AllStays phone app and found it very good. I just loaded "The Ultimate Public CG Directory" upon Jon's recommendation (I think it was Jon?, thanks) in another thread. I haven't used that one on the road yet.

But I don't think these apps work without cell phone coverage. So, if we're planning to spend time in a particular area we purchase the National Forest maps. (If we're spending time it'll be in the National Forest or similar.) They include a list of CGs with some information. We still carry the old paper Woodalls ('cuz we're paranoid).

Once we took a bicycle trip through the Washington Cascades and San Juan Islands making reservations for each night. It was terrible having to get to a set point each day. We haven't done that since. We have little trouble with just showing up and getting a site, but we travel fall and spring mostly. We've only been caught out a few times. But then for summer vintage trailer rallies we reserve 6-9 months ahead. I guess "it depends".

Thanks.
currinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 01:19 PM   #5

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Just put in the town followed by "campgrounds", go to their website for any one you are interested in, and then put in "reviews" with it for more info. We have a big directory we take but never seem to use on the road, only at home. If you join Passport America, they will give you a directory of their members.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 01:21 PM   #6

Trailer: Used to own a 17B and a 19 Escape
Great ideas thanks. We are totally new to this so any help is great.
ichrisdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 02:19 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by currinh View Post

But I don't think these apps work without cell phone coverage. So, if we're planning to spend time in a particular area we purchase the National Forest maps. (If we're spending time it'll be in the National Forest or similar.) They include a list of CGs with some information. We still carry the old paper Woodalls ('cuz we're paranoid).

Thanks.
They work without an internet connection, however there won't be a map, just the icons for the campgrounds, etc. Without an internet connection, you also cannot look at the campground reviews... Makes it difficult to find a particular campground.
Old 12-18-2015, 02:22 PM   #8

Trailer: 2021 Pleasure Way OnTour 2.0
For campgrounds, we use the same websites/ apps that Jon mentioned. For trip planning routes, I use an app called inroute. I have the premium version (about $5 or maybe $10) which allows a large number of waypoints including layovers. I just got finished plotting out a month long trip to Florida which can be printed and / or exported to my phone for use with Apple maps. I have also used the copilot app which allows you to avoid propone restricted roads and low clearances. Copilot also lets you indicate your preference for freeways, divided highways, primary roads and secondary roads.
Mob2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 02:45 PM   #9

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Chris
Last summer on the way back home from Osoyoos, we crossed into the Wenatchee National Forest. Needing to find a campsite for the night, it was a Friday, we went into Leavenworth Washington. Even though the Forest Service office was closed for the day, there was a stack of newsprint forest guides on a shelf outside the office. Not only did the guide show dozens of campgrounds, it also showed other features and had lots of info. I relate this because even though you may not have internet sometime, there's usually printed media at rest stops, park and forest service offices, BLM offices etc. in our case we drove back about 4 miles and up into the forest and stayed in a ponderosa Pine site that was very nice. And low cost with our Senior Passport. I still like print media, you can't fat finger it and lose your place. And in an emergency, you can use it to start a campfire.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 03:55 PM   #10

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
Another vote for Allstays

When traveling we usually have the current Woodall's guide in paper format and we use the all stays app. DW likes the Woodalls, but they don't have many public campgrounds. But the paper copy is nice when you are out of cell phone coverage. The Woodall's reviews sometimes seem related to the size of the ad the campground bought.

I am going to get the ultimate public campgrounds bundle on Jon's recommendation (see what influeance you have, Jon?).

All Stays usually links to the google pages which will include the RVParkReviews website. I like the reviews there a lot.
Old 12-18-2015, 04:06 PM   #11

Trailer: 2014 17b/ 2012 Chevy Colorado
Great thread. My question is which, if any of these sights allow you to search for campsites open in the winter?
yardsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 04:17 PM   #12

Allstays usually lists the open dates for a campground (eg. "open all year" "open April -Oct" etc. But I don't think you can use that criteria to filter the search. We just look for campgrounds near where we want to be, and then make sure it is open today.

Which, by the way, I think the OP asked about reservations. The only time we make reservations is on holiday Weekends, or other times that we know will be busy. But we often call ahead and ask if they have a site open tonight. it is very rare that we have not been able to stay where we wish. So rare I can't remember the last time it happened.
Old 12-18-2015, 04:30 PM   #13

Trailer: 2012 Escape "Classic" 5.0 SA
I use the "Ultimate Campground Project" app for my i-phone and pad and it's excellent. You find campsites on a map of the area click on the campsite and it gives you all the info on it including a direct link to the campsites website or reservation site if they have one. It's updated monthly when you download the updates via the app store and this includes campsite prices. It's just for public campgrounds but that's usually all I stay at. There is a US version and a Canadian version, under $10 for both.

You can access the site for free on your computer but it doesn't include all the features of the app.

The Ultimate Public Campgrounds Project - Home

Barry

2012 Escape "Classic" 5.0 SA / 2017 F150, 2.7 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercab
Former trailers: 2005 Escape 17B / 1972 Boler 13'
barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 04:35 PM   #14

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
RV Parky | RV Parks & Campgrounds Directory, Reviews, Photos, RV Park Reviews - Trusted Reviews of Campgrounds & RV Parks , Allstays Camp and RV | RV Parks Campgrounds App, and when possible Campsite Photos, Camping Pictures, and Campground Reviews - campsitephotos.com
Old 12-18-2015, 04:52 PM   #15

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I was given the Woodalls when I got the trailer. I think it was the first thing I tossed to reduce weight.
"The Woodall's reviews sometimes seem related to the size of the ad the campground bought."
Agreed. And contained little information beyond address and phone no.
Old 12-18-2015, 04:55 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonW View Post
Allstays usually lists the open dates for a campground (eg. "open all year" "open April -Oct" etc. But I don't think you can use that criteria to filter the search. We just look for campgrounds near where we want to be, and then make sure it is open today.

Which, by the way, I think the OP asked about reservations. The only time we make reservations is on holiday Weekends, or other times that we know will be busy. But we often call ahead and ask if they have a site open tonight. it is very rare that we have not been able to stay where we wish. So rare I can't remember the last time it happened.
Go to the "Advanced Filters", scroll down to "Open All Year".
Old 12-18-2015, 05:24 PM   #17

Thanks, Jon
Old 12-18-2015, 07:23 PM   #18

Trailer: 2014 17b/ 2012 Chevy Colorado
That works Jon, thanks. Not completely accurate, however. Lists one RV site as open in the winter, which it was until two years ago.
yardsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 10:45 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardsale View Post
That works Jon, thanks. Not completely accurate, however. Lists one RV site as open in the winter, which it was until two years ago.
None of the web pages, apps, or GPSs are completely accurate. Things change too fast for them to keep up. My "favorite" was a 10 mile drive down a washboarded & potholed road to a fenced in RV Park. Probably a good idea to call any park that has a phone, particularly in winter...
Old 01-10-2019, 11:24 AM   #20

Trailer: R: Escape--2018 Escape 21
Bumping this thread to see if there are other, newer resources to aid in campground selection whilst travelling.
R:Escape is offline   Reply With Quote