Trip Report - CTX to Chilliwack and back - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-20-2016, 10:28 PM   #61
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by float5 View Post
Wonder if Donna and others specified a narrower table (which by that I expect you mean less depth.) They will have to comment on whether their tables fit and what they specified.
I didn't request anything special other than a filler board and upholstered cushion for the board. I don't know if the table fits or not. It's under my daughter's bed, I've never had it inside the trailer.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 10:55 PM   #62

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I didn't request anything special other than a filler board and upholstered cushion for the board. I don't know if the table fits or not. It's under my daughter's bed, I've never had it inside the trailer.
I take it that what he ordered was a filler board just like yours but his is too big. Yours fits, I guess. And he has cushions they made for his also.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 11:34 PM   #63
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Whenever you order something custom, there's a chance that what you want and what you get are slightly different, just because things get lost in translation. It might be best in such cases to draw out exactly what you're asking for, to eliminate any chance of it being misinterpreted.

Of course hindsight is 20/20.
Old 10-21-2016, 05:09 AM   #64

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
"What we have is a failure to communicate"
Narrower to me means the width has been modified, shorter to me means the length has been changed. So if one asks for a narrower table, it will not fit within the rails. A wider table will not fit. Why not leave things stock and then make them custom later, that has always been my modus operandi. But telephone or emails where one says one thing may mean something else 3000 miles away. To make the lounge area means you remove the table and install 2 boards and cushions, no pedestal, no table. It has been done numerous times without issue before now. I'd be thankful for the fireplace, that is a new one.
Old 10-21-2016, 08:05 AM   #65

Trailer: 2016 21/ '16 Tundra 4.6L Dbl. Cab
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
"What we have is a failure to communicate"
Narrower to me means the width has been modified, shorter to me means the length has been changed. So if one asks for a narrower table, it will not fit within the rails. A wider table will not fit. Why not leave things stock and then make them custom later, that has always been my modus operandi. But telephone or emails where one says one thing may mean something else 3000 miles away. To make the lounge area means you remove the table and install 2 boards and cushions, no pedestal, no table. It has been done numerous times without issue before now. I'd be thankful for the fireplace, that is a new one.
All True! Asking for the U-Shaped Dinette automatically means a smaller table, cut to fit the new dimensions of the rails. When in place, the cushions complete the double bed. When the table-top is removed from the rails, a 'filler board' and cushion complete the 'lounge' option. We have never used the table-top as a 'table'. Our filler board is in place full-time unless our grand-kids are with us, in which case I pack the table-top to complete the bed option. I think the OP changed the tried and true formula by asking for a narrower/custom table-top.

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 08:38 AM   #66

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Whenever you order something custom, there's a chance that what you want and what you get are slightly different, just because things get lost in translation.
Bingo. As a design engineer I know this all too well. This is a great moment for perspective. While most RV manufacturers are just looking to push trailers out to their dealers, the service that Escape provides to their customers with all their custom work really is amazing. Stuff like this is bound to happen once in a while. If people complain too much about little things then it would be easier for them to just stick to a standard list and say no to custom work. Just not worth the hassle. Especially as they are busy expanding and trying to ramp up production numbers.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 08:53 AM   #67

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Better communication between both parties would have been the best solution. If a special order was given for the table, Escape should really have asked whether they want the table to still be able to make into a bed. If a customer makes a special order on a table, they really should state as clearly as possible what their specific requirements are (don't assume that Escape knows). At the end of the day, Escape has much more experience building trailers than their customers, and should try to identify to their customers any perceived problems or issues that may arise due to any customization that is requested. Alternatively, they could change their policies and not allow any customization (which would not go over very well with most of us). It is unfortunate that this happened, and I agree with cpaharley2008 that it was a result of failure to communicate.

https://youtu.be/yBBWUZfgRiw

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 09:22 AM   #68

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
I think I know what went wrong with this. The table, if taken off the pedestal very well might fit somewhere along the rails as they vary in width being a trapezoid- growing wider towards the front of the trailer. The pedestal was fixed at a point probably about in the middle of the floor and the table being centered on top of it is missing its fit into that area. If you use a Dicor slide that may allow the travel needed forward to be able to fit in that specific spot.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 09:33 AM   #69

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
David, just thinking on the table thing, and maybe my thoughts are right out to lunch, or you have already considered them.

If the table is trapezoidal, I assume that the front is a bit wider, correct? Would it be possible to move the table just a bit forward on the pedestal mount to get it to drop into place, and if you did so, would it affect the use of the table when set up?

How much too wide do you estimate the table is?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
I think I know what went wrong with this. The table, if taken off the pedestal very well might fit somewhere along the rails as they vary in width being a trapezoid- growing wider towards the front of the trailer. The pedestal was fixed at a point probably about in the middle of the floor and the table being centered on top of it is missing its fit into that area. If you use a Dicor slide that may allow the travel needed forward to be able to fit in that specific spot.
This was basically what I was trying to say in my post, Ross. I still wonder about it too.

I would be tempted to remove the table from the slide, lower the pedestal, then try placing the table top loose in place to see if it fits at all. If by chance it does, I would leave it there while I reinstalled the mounting screws.

A Dicor slide would definitely facilitate the placement of the table top should it in fact fit. A good thing either way in my thinking.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 09:47 AM   #70

Trailer: 2016 5.0 TA on the way
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I'd wait for the information, and then I'd get miffed, if necessary.
Reasonable request, and having worked so hard over the last 14 months to get our trailer exactly right, I've been doing the forensic research to figure out where this turned south.

In exchanging mail with Escape last Fall to finalize my build sheet, here is the specific text of our discussion:

<ETI>The standard table for a U-Shaped Dinette is 27” deep x 35” wide. If you were to get the 12” filler board this would make your table top 15” deep x 35” wide.

<David>This sounds good for table dimensions, but I would like to eliminate the filler board from my build sheet. I can fabricate this myself for when we might use the bed in the future.

I just measured my trailer and the distance between the rails is 34 3/4" and the table top is 35 1/4".

Regards,

David
Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 11:35 AM   #71

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Our standard table is measuring less than what David has and certainly less than the 35" that Escape is giving. That is for the end that is on the back end of the table, back end of the trailer. We have a 21'. (Front end measures less.) Wonder what others are measuring. Of course, we do not know at this time if ours fits but will take it over and check it.

We already had the information that the table piece on David's was cut a little too wide for the space. We also know that cushions were made to put on top, so obviously it was supposed to fit and it does not. Escape replaced Paul's table when it did not fit.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 01:00 PM   #72
Tin

Trailer: 2017 5.0TA
David I am really sorry this happened to you, I can only imagine your dismay. I also ordered a u shaped dinette with a spring field pedestal with the expectation that it will fit between the rails (unless you specifically requested a table made to your dimensions which does not appear to be the case) . Now I understand that mistakes happen now and then and that is completely normal no big deal, But what I find disturbing about your situation is the way Escape has has responded to your problem? Having been in the construction business for over 30 years I am very familiar with these types of problems wither it be a fabrication mistake or a installation mishap. The bottom line is when the customers exceptions have not been met I do my best to resolve the problem as quickly as possible, especially with something as trivial as this . I wish you the best and again I am sorry you have to deal with this, thank goodness it was not something major ?
Tin is offline   Reply With Quote