Vacationing in eastern Canada - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login

Old 08-13-2017, 09:07 PM   #1

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (May 2015)
Send a message via Skype™ to HappyCampers
Vacationing in eastern Canada

Greetings fellow Escapees, we are considering a trip next year to eastern Canada. Jodi and I live in Minnesota just outside the Twin Cities. I have spent some time on websites looking at both Newfoundland and Nova Scotia. I would appreciate any feedback or opinion about visiting these locations. How similar are, the differences between the two -if you have seen one no need for the other, or maybe they are both super cool each in their own way. From Minnesota either one would be a long drive, 2000+ miles one way, but I do not feel at this time that I would want just one trip to cover both provinces. With cultural events there the month of July looks like a top bet, but it also a great time to be in Minnesota. We do intend to do this in our Roam Home. How are September or October timeframes for a visit there? We would like to take in the natural beauty of the area, hit some cultural events, and do a little day hiking. Any thoughts or opinions would be appreciated. Thanks, George
Old 08-13-2017, 11:04 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
We spent three weeks last September visiting Nova Scotia, PEI and New Brunswick. The cost and time for the ferry to Newfoundland discouraged that province. In our travels we tend to avoid cities, not that there are the population centers like you find in the states. The provincial parks - Graves Island, Mira Island and National Park - Cape Brenton Highlands, Ingonish were all great places to stay. Add Fundy National Park and Prince Edward Island NP and you have covered the three provinces.

Excellent driving except for Cape Brenton Island and the Cabot Trail where there are two seasons; winter and road construction. Distances are misleading, travel is a bit slower and you need time to explore. We never had any one night stays, always an opportunity to visit. Wonderful people but you need to stop and spend time to meet and greet.

We did the trip with out reservations, the only time we could not stay where we wanted was Acadia NP, when the final night of our three day plan forced a move to a private campground, otherwise we only stayed at government facilities.

At that time of year we used local markets for much of our fresh food and seafood. They were a great place to load up on local products and rub elbows with the locals. Since we had AT&T for cell service we were able to sign up for their free Canadian roaming. I think hiking the Skyline Trail was the highlight both for its beauty and the sense of accomplishment. If you visit Acadia NP only use the free busses to navigate the park, driving is easy but parking is not.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 11:20 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape #2 On The Way
Grew up in Newfoundland and would implore you not to skip that province if feasible. There is always so much going on. Festivals, Gros morne park, Regatta, Signal Hill to name a few. A lot of history there and lots to see and do.
I will agree that PEI is a must. The beaches alone are worth it. Just returned from there on a summer vacation.
Have fun
Bakes99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 01:58 AM   #4

Trailer: 2008 17B Escape
My husbands cousin and wife are doing a cross Canada trip-(they have an R-Pod)--they had done the Maritimes already--so they are renting a motel for one night (and leaving their truck and trailer there for a couple weeks) and flying from Montreal to Newfoundland--renting a car and doing B & B, for that trip... Our folding bikes have been on this trip (again we haven't yet!!!--damned bikes went first!!)

That was their solution to the long ferry trip and expense...I guess they got a pretty good flight and storage rate for the time...
Old 08-14-2017, 07:42 AM   #5

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
There is a thread over on FGRV where yearly trips to Newfoundland is discussed, with pictures and observations, very helpful in making a decision. http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...6-a-70578.html
Also there is an Escape Rally in September in Niagara Falls, On that is held every year, great chance to meet other owners if you can not make it to other Escape rallies held.
Old 08-21-2017, 08:26 AM   #6

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (May 2015)
Send a message via Skype™ to HappyCampers
Seems like the only option I see about getting to NF is to take the ferry from Nova Scotia, rather than take a drive through Quebec, to Blanc-Sablon, with a shorter ferry ride to the island. No one seems to talk about the latter route. What is a guy to do if motion sickness can be an issue? Can you comment? Our tow vehicle is diesel powered - any issues with availability? How are bugs during July? Saw a lot of cultural events - a lot of music, during July. There was a post somewhere that mentioned a May visit when the bugs were not so bad. Traveling in the fall would also be attractive with the potential for colors, but I do not know the weather. Thanks for any tips. George and Jodi
Old 08-21-2017, 08:50 AM   #7

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyCampers View Post
Seems like the only option I see about getting to NF is to take the ferry from Nova Scotia, rather than take a drive through Quebec, to Blanc-Sablon, with a shorter ferry ride to the island. No one seems to talk about the latter route. What is a guy to do if motion sickness can be an issue? Can you comment? Our tow vehicle is diesel powered - any issues with availability? How are bugs during July? Saw a lot of cultural events - a lot of music, during July. There was a post somewhere that mentioned a May visit when the bugs were not so bad. Traveling in the fall would also be attractive with the potential for colors, but I do not know the weather. Thanks for any tips. George and Jodi
I lived in Newfoundland for 3 yrs in the 1990's. It is quite inaccessible to most people. You can either fly (without your trailer), take the ferry (with or without trailer) or you can swim. Ferries leave from Sydney, NS and go to either Port O Basque NF (short ferry - approx. 5-6 hrs) or Argentia NF (long ferry +12hrs).

It is difficult to get there, but once there, people do not usually regret going.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 09:54 AM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA!
Quote:
My mother and step father did the road to Labrador(then ferry to Newfoundland then I thing to NS) and it is gravel. They have a truck camper w/heavy duty tires and still blew a tire(gravel is sharp shale type) they said folks w/trailers were having lots of flats...bring more than one spare!! She also said it was a loooong trip. I like the idea of flying from Nova Scotia myself and beat the ferry costs. They brought and used a bug tent for their trip in July or August.
Ian and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 01:21 PM   #9

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Our tow vehicle is diesel powered - any issues with availability?
Commercial trucks use diesel everywhere in North America (and most of the world), so diesel fuel is everywhere, too. It is now all ultra low sulfur across the continent, so there is no compatibility issue.

The GasBuddy mobile app shows station locations and prices for the desired fuel; they have a website as well, but the web maps only show regular gasoline prices. The price for diesel today appears to be about CA$1.17/litre, at least in St. John's; that's US$3.52/USgallon if I did the math right.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 09:29 PM   #10

Trailer: 2011 Escape 19
Hi Happy Campers: We have travelled to both areas and and hope to do both again! There are lots of similarities, but each have their own unique qualities. I agree with you that each is a trip on its own.
If you go to Newfoundland,two ways to go- fly and rent a car, or take the ferry and your trailer. The cost will be similar, because what you save on ferry costs, you spend on car rental and accomodations. If you do decide to rent a car, make sure you rent a car before you get there, otherwise there may be none to rent. They have a short tourist season, and there don't seem to be many rental cars avaialble. And rental costs there, are higher than most places we have traveled.
The best months for Newfoundland are, in my view, july and August . Thats when festivals and events such as the East Coast Music Festival are held, dinner theaters, special seafood events in small towns and ice bergs floating off the coast. The roads were good when we travelled there, the scenery is unique, the food is good,the people are freindly with their own island culture, and they love to share it with visitors. Most of the people live on coastal areas, and I don't recall bugs- just a fair bit of wind- which probaly keeps bugs away.
As for Nova Scotia, Cape Breton and Prince Edward Island, they are more accessible, so there are more people there, more traffic and I think a longer season. Again lots of good seafood, amazing scenery, and freindly people. A trip through the area in September or October would be great, especially if taking in some fall colours. Our experience was that both areas provided excellent detailed tourist information booklets they would mail you if requested. It would outline acommodations, maps, cultural events etc and give you the contact information you might need.
Enjoy!

Leisure Lee
Leisure Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 05:43 AM   #11

Trailer: 2014 17b/ 2012 Chevy Colorado
I wouldn't bother with the trailer if I was returning to Nova Scotia due to the ferry expense and the tough roads as has been mentioned. However the hike we took in the Gros Morne is in our top 5 EVER. Our first two times there was for skiing. Who takes a ferry to go skiing??
yardsale is offline   Reply With Quote