WA Cascade Mountain Campgrounds - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login

Old 05-01-2016, 01:14 PM   #11

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanj04011 View Post
So we just rehashed our trip home from Chilliwack and are contemplating changing the beginning of our route.

Initially, we were going to head up through BC and over to Banff, and then drop down to Glacier National Park. However, with the uncertainty of booking nice places to stay in advance, as well as trying to maximize times at the 3 areas we want to visit (Glacier, Yellowstone/Grand Tetons and Rushmore/Badlands) we though it might be more advantageous to do a more direct-ish route to Glacier, our first area.

Thing is, we still want to see as much of the mountains as possible since we don't have them in Maine. So we were thinking of spending the first night after pickup at Newhalem Campground or Colonial Creek Campground in the Washington Cascade Mountains.

Obviously, we have not been in the area before and don't know if thats a good idea or not, or if there are better campgrounds around. I don't mind driving up over the mountain passes and such, (as long as the distance between gas stations isn't too far, I have a feeling our truck is going to be a gas hog!) but if the route is not advisable, I'd like to avoid it.

We will just be spending one night there so as long as the trailer would fit in a site and we are safe, I would be happy. A pretty site would be icing on the preverbal cake.

Any feedback on the area or the campgrounds would be greatly appreciated!
I would only say that it is likely Going to the Sun Road in Glacier will not be open until mid-July. That is the big attraction at Glacier. I don't know what kind of time you have, but If it were me, I would still go to Banff and then drop down to Glacier. You could make reservations in advance. While the Black Hills can get crowded, I would expect you would be able to find a campsite somewhere. The real problem is that once school gets out, campgrounds start to fill up.

"What a long, strange trip it's been....."
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 08:08 PM   #12

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0 TA
Yes Carl, Going to the Sun Road was one of the main reasons fort going to Glacier, along with my wife wanting to see the last bit of glacier there is before it disappears mysteriously in 2020.

I have heard the road opens up between late June and early July, but if it's not open, it will be a bummer...

We are staying at this campground in Custer, SD:

http://www.rvparkreviews.com/regions...ine-campground

nathanj04011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 08:27 PM   #13

Trailer: 2016 Tacoma Off Road, 2017 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanj04011 View Post
Yes Carl, Going to the Sun Road was one of the main reasons fort going to Glacier, along with my wife wanting to see the last bit of glacier there is before it disappears mysteriously in 2020.

I have heard the road opens up between late June and early July, but if it's not open, it will be a bummer...
While there is no way to know when they will open the road, the latest opening date due to plowing was in 2011. I drove the road on opening day - July 13th. In 1933 the initial opening of the road was July 15th. You can check recent previous opening dates (scroll down) as well as the current status here. Some photos of the road on the 13th.
Old 05-01-2016, 10:25 PM   #14

Trailer: 2014 21 2013 Yukon
Sun road opened 6/19 last year so who knows.

Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote