Wellesley Island State Park -- Thousand Islands - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login

Old 08-17-2016, 09:25 PM   #11

Trailer: '87 Bigfoot 20DLX 5er (now) - 2017 Escape 5.0 TA (Sep '17)
You can tell Terry for me that if God meant for us to drink coffee black, he wouldn't have invented cream! I know most "serious" coffee snobs believe coffee must be black. I'm not one of those. But I'm serious about home roasting and how much that improves coffee.

I got desperate once when i ran out of beans to roast. I found some "artisan" beans in a grocery store outside the Great Smokey Mountain NP. It was dated and specified the temp it was roasted to. I tried it the next morning and it was great! It was as good as mine. I found the little coffee shop that roasted it, walked in and told the roaster that she had made my day. She was so pleased. Nobody had ever complimented her on her coffee. Artistic Beans in Townsend TN. Townsend is a tiny little place. Highly recommended!

My Porlex is a hand grinder too. It has a pentagonal shaft the handle attaches to. I found a place on the internet that sells adapters that were printed on a 3D printer. This allows me to use my cordless drill. I always have that on my trailer. It's essential when you own a vintage trailer.

Rich

1987 Bigfoot 5er (starter wheels)
2017 Escape 5.0 TA (dream wheels: Sept 2017)

ReagentGrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 06:13 AM   #12

Trailer: Escape 19 February 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReagentGrade View Post
You can tell Terry for me that if God meant for us to drink coffee black, he wouldn't have invented cream! I know most "serious" coffee snobs believe coffee must be black. I'm not one of those. But I'm serious about home roasting and how much that improves coffee.

I got desperate once when i ran out of beans to roast. I found some "artisan" beans in a grocery store outside the Great Smokey Mountain NP. It was dated and specified the temp it was roasted to. I tried it the next morning and it was great! It was as good as mine. I found the little coffee shop that roasted it, walked in and told the roaster that she had made my day. She was so pleased. Nobody had ever complimented her on her coffee. Artistic Beans in Townsend TN. Townsend is a tiny little place. Highly recommended!

My Porlex is a hand grinder too. It has a pentagonal shaft the handle attaches to. I found a place on the internet that sells adapters that were printed on a 3D printer. This allows me to use my cordless drill. I always have that on my trailer. It's essential when you own a vintage trailer.

Rich

Rich, I'll definitely share your thoughts about cream with Terry.
And I'm emailing him the link so he can read all your details about coffee brewing.

Ruthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 07:52 AM   #13

Trailer: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReagentGrade View Post

What's your rig?

Rich
I use a West Bend also. I also use a Camano Island hand grinder, which is not as fast as my Zassenhaus, but is smaller. I don't mind grinding for one person, but it gets old when everyone wants a cup of "Folgers".

I have an Aeropress, but find that it makes too small a cup for me and uses more beans. So I use a 23 oz. Frieling french press. For the last two years I used a Bodum, but after finding the press on the floor of the trailer once, after a particularly rough stretch of road, I decided not to risk the glass (even though it didn't break), and switched to the stainless Frieling. It's great! A nice stiff screen that does a terrific job of filtering.

Beans are either from Sweet Maria's (Rwandan beans have been exceptional for the past several years) or Kona (from my personal supplier, Wayne Whiteside of Captain Cook on the Big Island). I like my coffee very lightly roasted, and seldom go past first crack.
matilsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 09:20 PM   #14

Trailer: '87 Bigfoot 20DLX 5er (now) - 2017 Escape 5.0 TA (Sep '17)
Terry, sounds like a great setup! I can't speak to the number of beans consumed by the Aeropress, I only use one scoop of beans per cup.
I normally make mine as a concentrate and add water. Once I've pressed the coffee through the filter there's about half a mug of coffee. I add water to suit. This method allows me to make two cups at a time by doubling the beans and water. I press half into one mug, half into the other and add water to both.

I generally only buy central or south American beans. But not Costa Rican, which is not robust enough for me. Although I roast mine into second crack, my wife likes hers about like yours.

One of the beauties of home roasting is that you can have any coffee roasted anyway you want. With such small batches, it's simple to make batches for each of us. My wife is delighted, especially since she expects, and gets, coffee in bed every morning. (I have to do something to make myself indispensable!)

Here's a photo of my Porlex Mini hand grinder. Very small. I can grind beans for only one or two (max) cups at a time.

Rich

ReagentGrade is offline   Reply With Quote