We're in Chillowack - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-11-2014, 12:16 AM   #1

Trailer: Escape 19 February 2014
We're in Chillowack

Tomorrow we're picking up our trailer, getting oriented and heading to Cultus Lake. I've been blogging about our trip out west at Ruthmatilskyworld.wordpress.com We probably won't have internet for awhile but when we do I'll post pictures on the blog. Today I posted some pictures of Chillowack as well as a couple of restaurant recommendations for those coming after us. And I highly recommend the Riverview Bed and Breakfast.
Ruthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 12:28 AM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 Classic
Oh boy, oh boy, you must be excited! Enjoy your new Escape and please post many more pictures on your blog while travelling with your Escape!
Seef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 08:27 AM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19' and 2016 GMC Yukon SLT SUV.
Send a message via AIM to Tonny LR
I second the recommendation of staying at Riverview B & B. We stayed there on May 12. What a treat.
Tonny LR
Tonny LR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 12:11 PM   #4

Trailer: No more Escape 21
And I third the recommendation of staying at the Riverview B & B!
Old 06-11-2014, 03:23 PM   #5

Trailer: 2008 Bigfoot 25B17.5G
We loved the Yellow Deli!! We ate outside on the patio with the dogs on leash
Old 06-13-2014, 01:59 PM   #6

Trailer: Hoping to adopt
Hello,

I'm new to the forum and have been enjoying reading about everyone's experiences with their Escape's. The anticipation of the pick up and delivery that is most evident in the threads I've been following is what I enjoy most. As I'm not an owner yet, I live vicariously through those of you that are. What's the update? Have you finally taken delivery?

Wayne_m
wayne_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 02:50 PM   #7

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
Ruthe

The town is called Chilliwack.
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 02:59 PM   #8

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I donno. Chillowack was growing on me. Anyway, if you look at the blog, it's spelled Chilliwack there.
Old 06-13-2014, 03:32 PM   #9

I live near Langley, 45 minutes west, we've always refered to it as the 'Wack. Great town, even greater band...
Old 06-14-2014, 09:17 AM   #10

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b

a great band!
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 10:01 AM   #11

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Down here it's now hot in the land of enchantment but hot or cold, you are constantly being asked, "Red or green?"

Chilli, that is.
Old 06-14-2014, 05:03 PM   #12

Trailer: Escape 19 February 2014
I apologize for the misspelling! We were camped at Cultus Lake (sp?) and a guy stopped by because he saw the Escape (he has a 21), recognized me from the forum and gently let me know about the misspelling.

Anyway, we got the trailer on Wednesday. I'm typing from a library in Logan Lake and won't be able to post any pictures for a few days, but I took a bunch at the factory. We are exhausted -- after the early orientation we had to meet Dennis (Tammy's father) at Bob's Burger and Brew in Sumas. He handed the trailer over to us and we turned around and went back through customs where the woman treated us like a terrorist. We couldn't explain to her satisfaction why we'd paid for the trailer and then gone to the U.S. and turned around and come back. We finally had to go inside, and after going through our papers thoroughly they didn't incarcerate us, but it took time.

Then we needed to find a store to buy a half inch rachet drive for the Anderson hitch. (This would have been useful to know ahead of time.) We could have managed without it but Terry felt more secure with it. We finally ended the day at Cultis Lake where we collapsed by the lake with a bottle of wine.

The next day we realized that the kitchen window was not closing properly, so in between shopping stops in Chilliwack we stopped in at Escape, and Reace said to bring it in the next day. On Friday we hitched up, stopped by Escape and Jose the "window guy" fixed it. I have pictures of that which I'll post on my blog. It's pretty hilarious actually.

Now we're in Lac Le Jeune and tomorrow we'll go to Canyon Hot Springs for some hookups before going to Banff. The bed in the trailer is great! I love waking up and seeing the view on three sides.

Probably it would have made more sense to stay at a place with hookups so we weren't doing the "roughing it" part right away, but we kind of wanted to be surrounded by beautiful scenery close to Chilliwack. Figuring out the storage places has been a little challenging, but it's starting to make sense what belongs where.

I will post more along with pictures on my blog, but it won't be for a few days.

One more thing -- I don't think we went over the trailer carefully enough before we finished the orientation. We really should have opened and closed all the windows, tried all the latches and locks, etc. This morning we had a momentary scare because there seemed to be a leak in the kitchen sink, but I think it was just me being sloppy -- Terry says if it is a leak, it's from around the faucet and a bit of silicone will fix it, so it's not a concern.

Regards,
Ruth

RuthMatilskyWorld.wordpress.com
Ruthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 05:41 PM   #13

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthe View Post
Probably it would have made more sense to stay at a place with hookups so we weren't doing the "roughing it" part right away, but we kind of wanted to be surrounded by beautiful scenery close to Chilliwack.
On the other hand, camping without services let you check out the water tank and pump, operation of everything from battery power, and operation of appliances (such as refrigerator and water heater) on propane with no AC power... while still close to the factory.

Quote:
This morning we had a momentary scare because there seemed to be a leak in the kitchen sink, but I think it was just me being sloppy -- Terry says if it is a leak, it's from around the faucet and a bit of silicone will fix it, so it's not a concern
If it's leak of the faucet itself (not the seal of the faucet to the counter or sink), I don't think there is any real fix that involves silicone. Where is the water appearing?
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 05:59 PM   #14

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Great Post. Not to worry --you're bound at first to be hyper-alert to every cweek and waddle. We felt the same way.

Had to chuckle-- Give a young Canadian border policewoman a Glock and they can be real touchy. Had similar experience at a Niagara Falls crossing a bunch of years ago. Of course in that case I just forgot my passport and showed my NJ drivers license instead.
Old 06-14-2014, 06:17 PM   #15

Our border guards are a bit edgy these days. There was a time when the closest thing they had to a weapon was their Maglite flashlight. We are fortunate to have the longest undefended border of any 2 nations on earth. 2 great societies living alongside each other. For those that do a lot of cross border traveling, look into getting a Nexus card. It is a program administered by both Canadian and US border agencies. You go through a lengthy application and security process and when accepted you are considered a "trusted traveler". As well, a Nexus card is as good as a passport, either is accepted at the border. When we travel in the US, I tell my wife twice that I love her, once on the way down and once on the way back- it was her idea to get the Nexus cards. I think the longest I've waited in a border line up in 5 years is all of 10 minutes.
Old 06-14-2014, 06:55 PM   #16

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
and went back through customs where the woman treated us like a terrorist. We couldn't explain to her satisfaction why we'd paid for the trailer and then gone to the U.S. and turned around and come back. We finally had to go inside, and after going through our papers thoroughly they didn't incarcerate us, but it took time.

Now we're in Lac Le Jeune and tomorrow we'll go to Canyon Hot Springs for some hookups before going to Banff. The bed in the trailer is great! I love waking up and seeing the view on three sides.

RuthMatilskyWorld.wordpress.com
Yes, being treated like a terrorist is pretty common for those of us who cross the border frequently. It's hit or miss despite the Nexus card. Sometimes it's really great, by passing the airport hordes lined up for screening because our boarding cards say "precheck" but then there's times like the Escape Rally. We thought we'd duck across the border to see a little town called Oroville. The plan was down and back in probably less than an hour. Well, when you get the border guard from **** and spend almost that much time in her line from which there was no escape, all the Nexus cards in the world aren't going to help.

We also love the queen bed and the windows on 3 sides. Nothing like backing up to a cliff overlooking the ocean and watching the breakers roll in while still in bed. It seems like folks are pretty evenly split on having the area for a dinette or the bed.

Good to see that you're on the road and enjoying the trailer.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 07:57 PM   #17
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Oh POO. Both sides of the NW area we speak English and everyone get's their undies in a KNOT. But still, we are FOREIGN countries and must pay attention to the rules of each country. Be kind, be polite and be patient. That's the best way and the NEW NORMAL of international travel.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 08:04 PM   #18

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Many, many years ago a reporter and I crossed the border heading for the Libby Dam to do a story.
I have to admit we were suspicious, since I had a gallon of D-76 developer and a gallon of fixer in the trunk. I explained to the US border guard that we were gone for a while and I wanted to develop my film as we went.
He accepted that, and then drawled, "don't you go writing nothing 'bout Oroville. It's a dirty little town".
I guess, now it has a Walmart.
Old 06-15-2014, 08:01 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
Great Post. Not to worry --you're bound at first to be hyper-alert to every cweek and waddle. We felt the same way.

Had to chuckle-- Give a young Canadian border policewoman a Glock and they can be real touchy. Had similar experience at a Niagara Falls crossing a bunch of years ago. Of course in that case I just forgot my passport and showed my NJ drivers license instead.
That was the red flag they probably figured you had Jimmy Hoffa in the back !! lol Sorry had to it was there and well easy....

Cypher
Cypherian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 10:49 AM   #20

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2020 Toyota Sienna
In 2009, when I crossed back into the US, I was surprised at the difference in the ease of entry, between the two countries. Canada had a setup like an agricultural inspection station here in California, while we had here a lengthy gauntlet of rigid surveillance, (over, around and under). While I felt Canada was welcoming, I felt somewhat intimidated by the hostility upon return. Many, many years before, coming back in at the Mexican border, it was quite different. it was relatively perfunctory and no ID or passport needed. It's unfortunate that we have to deal with the reality of terrorists.