What are your favorite camp spots, West Coast edition - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login

Old 09-13-2015, 08:52 PM   #1

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
What are your favorite camp spots, West Coast edition

What are your top 2 favorite campgrounds / camping spots in any of the west coast or bordering west coast states/provinces and why?

Rules:
1. You have to pick only two. If someone has already picked your favorite(s) you can endorse them and pick others.
2. You have to explain why they are your favorites.

If there is interest in this thread, feel free to start a southern states edition or east coast edition, or whatever it is you're interested in!

I'd love to start this off but since we don't have our trailer yet, we don't have any favorites! I'm sitting here dreaming of future travels and hope this thread will help!

Jill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 09:15 PM   #2

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA has gone to a good home in Manitoba. Now Class B+ owners sadly not an Escape
Kokanee Creek Provincial Park - beautiful lake and we love to go there July 1-4th.
Deception Pass - just because it was the first place we camped after we picked up our 21'. I learned my husband knew how to level a trailer like a pro!
Jan
Old 09-13-2015, 09:50 PM   #3

Trailer: No RV for now.
1. Fort Worden State Park, Port Townsend, Washington. We like the lower campground on the beach. Lots to watch in the Straight of Juan de Fuca as ships and ferries go back and forth from Seattle. Reservations needed during the summer and sometimes spring and fall.
2. Patrick's Point State Park, 20 miles north of Arcata, California on the coast. Beautiful park on the coast with lots to explore. Reservations needed during the summer.
Old 09-13-2015, 10:19 PM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21--FOR SALE
Nehalem Bay State Park in Oregon, because of its nice ambience and hosts, spectacular white sand beach adjacent, and the attractive town of Manzanita nearby, with one of the finest independent bookstores anywhere.

Icicle River RV Resort in Leavenworth, WA, because of its friendly hosts, peaceful setting, location on the river, and superiority to the two other campgrounds we scoped out in Leavenworth.
Old 09-13-2015, 11:40 PM   #5

Trailer: 2013, 17B 'Mini Pearl' and a 2010 Highlander
I second Nehalem Bay, although I haven't been there in over ten years, we probably over-nighted there more than 60 times.
The town, Manzanita, a good walk down the beach, is I think what makes it so enjoyable.
For some reason I haven't found any other state parks to be within a pleasant walk away from a town. They always seem to be miles down a dusty dirty noisy highway.
Old 09-14-2015, 09:28 AM   #6

Trailer: 2018 Airstream Flying Cloud (Escape 19 & 5.0 previously)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catchlight View Post
Icicle River RV Resort in Leavenworth, WA, because of its friendly hosts, peaceful setting, location on the river, and superiority to the two other campgrounds we scoped out in Leavenworth.
One of our top two as well for the same reasons (plus it's a great place to take your bicycles).
Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 10:45 AM   #7

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda View Post
2. Patrick's Point State Park, 20 miles north of Arcata, California on the coast. Beautiful park on the coast with lots to explore. Reservations needed during the summer.
We second Linda's choice of Patrick's Point. It is the hidden gem among the N. coast redwoods parks.

Our #2: Morro Bay State Park. It is across the road from Morro Bay itself. There is rowing and canoeing in the bay, fishing, cycling and hiking, good base to explore coastal San Luis Obispo county. Plenty of fun stuff for the kids.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 01:38 PM   #8

Trailer: 2016 19 / Toyota 4Runner 2019
2 favourite spots

1. Kicking Horse campground (Parks Canada) in Yoho National Park. Great campsites, private, good facilities. Field, BC just a few km away great restaurant and pottery shop to visit. Nice drive from campground up to the impressive Takakkaw Falls (but no RV's allowed on the road).

2. Writing On Stone Provincial campground near Milk River, Alberta. Nice private campsites, good facilities, well stocked camp store, hoodoos, petroglyphs, interpretative centre, great kayaking or canoeing on the Milk River.
Old 09-14-2015, 09:54 PM   #9

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
Thanks everyone - it's great that we got a sampling across several states/provinces! I've reviewed your favorites here and I'm learning that it isn't too soon to start planning. Some of them already have limited availability for spring camping! We'll be going to the Spring NOG and want to extend that into a 4 or 5 week trip throughout the western states. Canada is on the radar too, but that will be a later trip.

I'm also learning that the planning and anticipation is a lot of fun too!
Jill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 06:40 PM   #10

Trailer: 2016 17A
Kirk Creek National Forest Campground. On Hwy 1 on the bluffs above the Big Sur coast in CA.
liveoakal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 06:47 PM   #11

Trailer: Escape 21 'Toto'
Cape Disappointment State Park, WA. At the mouth of the Columbia. Lighthouses... lovely beaches... great full-service campsites in the newer section.