What do you carry in your 5th wheel? - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login

Old 03-09-2017, 04:48 PM   #41

Trailer: None now
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
I think one of the biggest concerns is the moisture on exhales. I recall reading something about the trailerneeding unoccupied time to "dry out ." If you're single and outside much of the time, I would imagine that moisture issues would be less of a concern.
Since we live in one of the humid parts of the country we are having Escape install vents in our cabinets. It's something we found we had to do to previous trailers and a midsize peltier dehumidifier
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 04:52 PM   #42

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
I would suggest just moving forward and putting in an order for a 5.0TA. You can always streamline your stuff and lighten your load after you move in.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 04:56 PM   #43

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFDavis50 View Post
That's relative to where you live. In costal Florida, the PNW and BC the trailer may never dry out. In Arizona you could use the bathroom as a steam sauna and the whole thing will be dried out 15 minutes after shutting it down.
That is true, but a much greater part of the US and Canada has humidity levels far higher than the desert SW. I guess it would be fine if someone were to full time where the humidity levels are typically extremely low.
Old 03-09-2017, 07:50 PM   #44

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0TA
Re why I'm planning on getting a 5th wheel -- the ease of driving, backing, and parking it compared to a bumper hitch trailer. I will be driving in windy and mountainous areas and camping at little Forest Service campgrounds on twisty roads some of the time, but also driving through cities and and parking in urban and suburban areas some of the time. This will be a really crucial investment and I need to carefully minimize the potential of driving accidents to the RV.
Lagom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 08:18 PM   #45

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagom View Post
Re why I'm planning on getting a 5th wheel -- the ease of driving, backing, and parking it compared to a bumper hitch trailer. I will be driving in windy and mountainous areas and camping at little Forest Service campgrounds on twisty roads some of the time, but also driving through cities and and parking in urban and suburban areas some of the time. This will be a really crucial investment and I need to carefully minimize the potential of driving accidents to the RV.
Other than maybe a bit of advantage with how the load of the 5.0TA is carried, none of your other reasons are valid. People tow with all models in those situations, and they do fantastic.

Heck, even the loading can be addressed with a weight distribution hitch.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 09:59 PM   #46

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by wetzk View Post
Since we live in one of the humid parts of the country we are having Escape install vents in our cabinets. It's something we found we had to do to previous trailers and a midsize peltier dehumidifier
I live two hours north of you and when I am at home, I have a standard (compressor type) dehumidifier set to 50% RH running inside my trailer 24/7. It drains through a hose into the sink, through the gray water tank, through another hose onto landscape plants. That way, I do not have to worry about dumping the tub every couple of days.
I also have an Ecoseb capable of removing 15 pints/day for when we are traveling. I have yet to see the need for cabinet vents, but I do not put moist items (shoes, etc.) in storage cabinets or the wardrobe until they are dry. In my opinion and based upon my experience, vents are not necessary with a dehumidifier. Because of bumpers on the cabinet doors, all the cabinets are open a crack even when closed. In almost two years, I have not seen a speck of mold or mildew anywhere on the inside of the trailer.
Old 03-09-2017, 11:56 PM   #47

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
Will you bring the Star Trek uniform to the next rally!
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, fifth wheel, possessions, space, storage