What to do in Quartzite? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login

Old 01-03-2020, 04:44 PM   #1

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
What to do in Quartzite?

So I was wondering about Arizona. I’m not ready yet, my kids are still in their late teens, so Arizona is still a few years off. I will have almost 10 weeks vacation soon so an extended vacation is an option.

Aside from local sight seeing in Quartzite. What do you do while boondocking in the desert. Is there reliable cell service with data?

What else are you doing to fill a couple weeks?
Old 01-03-2020, 06:54 PM   #2

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Good questions. Besides free camping I have wondered what the appeal is.
Old 01-03-2020, 07:06 PM   #3

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Rock collecting?
Attached Thumbnails
Qz141.jpg  
Old 01-03-2020, 07:46 PM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Good questions. Besides free camping I have wondered what the appeal is.
Not much- spent one night there after visiting vendors and eating crappy fair food and was outta there the next day. There are deserts and there are deserts. This one is sub par IMO; scrub stuff with I-10 view/sounds.
Old 01-03-2020, 08:52 PM   #5

Trailer: ?
Like with most areas, whether you enjoy “Q” or not, depends on your personal interests.

The KOFA National Wildlife Refuge is just south of “Q” off of US-95. Free disbursed camping. Hiking to Palm Canyon. Worth exploring if you enjoy the desert environment. Palm trees native to AZ!!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kofa_N...ildlife_Refuge

Visitors can get a free library card then download books using the free library wi-fI. Or just use the library wi-fI instead of yours.

Mostly “Q” during the annual shows, is a huge collection of vendors selling everything from pure junk to collectibles to antiques, unique rocks, gems, etc. Rockhounds come from all over to buy and sell. We always enjoyed just poking around here and there.

On the downside, from mid-January until mid-February the place is a madhouse of people and vehicles. The few halfway decent restaurants are packed. Lines of people everywhere.
Do your laundry at 3am otherwise the machines are all taken.

And don’t overlook the Quartzsite bakery at 415 Main Street. 5 Stars.

It’s an experience . How often a person wants the “Q” experience certainly varies.

Mostly “Q” is about meeting up with your friends and favorite camping group. Everything else is secondary.

If we didn’t have a conflict, we would certainly join in the upcoming egg event.

Next year perhaps.

Enjoy

Ed
EdColorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 10:38 PM   #6

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C
For those of you who have brought your ebikes to the "Q", how useful do you find them in doing different activities like going on trails or just exploring the general area? Do you ride them to the shows or stores in Quartzsite about 6 miles away? Do you lock your bike while you go exploring stores or shows etc.? Any other useful ways you find using your ebikes there? TIA.
viator36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 11:50 PM   #7

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
Rock collecting?
Myron don’t forget the beautiful sunsets ! Something we will never forget ! Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 12:46 AM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug2000 View Post
Aside from local sight seeing in Quartzite. What do you do while boondocking in the desert. Is there reliable cell service with data?

What else are you doing to fill a couple weeks?
Quote:
Originally Posted by viator36 View Post
For those of you who have brought your ebikes to the "Q", how useful do you find them in doing different activities like going on trails or just exploring the general area? Do you ride them to the shows or stores in Quartzsite about 6 miles away? Do you lock your bike while you go exploring stores or shows etc.? Any other useful ways you find using your ebikes there? TIA.
Good grief! What would I do in New York to fill my time? Everyone's different. How can folks answer for others whose interests they don't even know.

As far as ebikes go I'd say if you have them and use them in other places then you'd use them in Q'site.

The only answer that I can give for sure is that there's no place in the world where I wouldn't lock up my bike.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 06:12 AM   #9

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Good grief! What would I do in New York to fill my time? Everyone's different. How can folks answer for others whose interests they don't even know.
You're correct about different reasons. However, until someone gives us a reason for us to go to Quartzite we'll stay away. I was hoping someone would provide that in this thread, but so far haven't heard one. Why would you want to stifle the answers? Until you ask the question you don't know the answer.

I know many like to attend fiberglass rallys, but aside from the Mississippi River Rendezvous, other rallys haven't interested us. Here's what we've heard about Quartzite: poor hiking for our style of hiking, poor roads, can be a mess when it rains, generators to kill the wanted silence, loud music, party atmosphere, drunks and stoners, you find a great spot and some a$$hole with a generator and stereo sets up next to you, etc. That's not for us. However I know many who enjoy Quartzite for other reasons that works for them. Posters here want to find that reason to attend.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 01-04-2020, 06:30 AM   #10

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Yesterday we purchased two locks @ $110 each for our ebikes. If not in our truck, covered and hidden to help prevent opportunity theft, we will lock them everywhere we go. Too much opportunity theft at campgrounds these days, and public areas are worse. We never locked our recumbents, didn't even carry locks, but ebikes are a hot commodity. Don't waste your time with a cheap lock. A friend of mine took his simple chain cutter about a foot long and cut through my $30 cable lock in one second. They're going to have to own a good portable grinder with an expensive wheel to get through this lock. We'll also be purchasing a vibration alarm. OTOH how quickly can they defeat the lock on our batteries. Our Bosch 500 Power Pack is $800 to replace, so the battery is our biggest concern.

I long for the days of going to the campground leaving our $25 rusty bike laying on its side. It was butt ugly, had no wanted parts, and was easy to identify.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 01-04-2020, 11:49 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryb67 View Post
You're correct about different reasons. However, until someone gives us a reason for us to go to Quartzite we'll stay away. I was hoping someone would provide that in this thread, but so far haven't heard one. Why would you want to stifle the answers? Until you ask the question you don't know the answer.

Good grief again. This year I'll be going to Q'site and Baja. The first time that I went to those places I didn't have a clue about how the experience would go. Then I'll be going to places in the Carribean that I haven't been before. Then I'll be going into places in Northern BC that I haven't been before. Then I'll be going to places in the UK and Ireland that I haven't been to before. I don't feel the need to ask other folks their reasons for going to these places. It's called travelling. You know you'll have a variety of experiences but I don't need to ask others what my experiences are going to be ahead of time.

I know many like to attend fiberglass rallys, but aside from the Mississippi River Rendezvous, other rallys haven't interested us. Here's what we've heard about Quartzite: poor hiking for our style of hiking, poor roads, can be a mess when it rains, generators to kill the wanted silence, loud music, party atmosphere, drunks and stoners, you find a great spot and some a$$hole with a generator and stereo sets up next to you, etc. That's not for us. However I know many who enjoy Quartzite for other reasons that works for them. Posters here want to find that reason to attend.

Enjoy,

Perry
I have a hard time responding politely to these comments. I hope "a load of crap" isn't too impolite. Sheer nonsense. The vast majority of the attendees left their party days long behind. It's quiet at night with a sky filled with stars.

I've traveled all my life and I know the validity of one persons experience with a travel event. Sometimes you talk to a couple of folks about a place and wonder if they're talking about the same place. Everyone sees things differently and experiences can vary from one time frame to another.

Do your basic research beforehand and go. However it works out is what you make it.

Ron
Old 01-04-2020, 11:52 AM   #12

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
I spend the entire winter in the Long Term Visitor Area in either Quartzsite (most of the time) or Imperial Dam near Yuma.

While I agree that it is not the best place for hiking, I go to escape upstate NY winter. Some year I'll try Florida, but I do love the desert.

Quartzsite is filled with vendors selling just about anything. It is worth spending a day or two just wandering around checking out the stuff. Used junk to Chinese imports and everything in between. There are around 10 restaurants in town, 2 small grocery stores, two dollar stores, a good hardware store (Hanks) a couple of RV repair shops (I prefer RV Lifestyles), 2 solar installers (I prefer Discount Solar).

If you desire large store shopping, there is a Walmart & Safeway in Parker, AZ about 32 miles north of Quartzsite, and an Albertson's in Blythe, CA about 22 miles west.

Some specifics - Both AT&T & Verizon (and I suspect others) have coverage at all the Quartzsite LTVAs & Dome Rock. This year both services are much slower, particularly downloading, than the last couple of years, but usable unless you like to stream audio late afternoons to dinner time.

There are some interesting places to visit within a short drive - as mentioned, the Kofa Wildlife Refuge. Not a bad hike to Palm Canyon, although I prefer the one at
Anza-Borrego. Closer to Quartzsite is Crystal Hill, a hill on BLM land that you can gather quartz (and camp), although it is a 9 mile dirt road to get there.

63 miles from Quartzsite is Castle Dome City Ghost Town & Museum which is worth a visit.

Since you don't have assigned spots, it is easy to pack up and take a couple of days to see some of the nearby parks. I have hit Anza-Borrego State Park, Joshua Tree National Park, Death Valley National Park, Valley of Fire State Park in NV, Red Rock Canyon State Park, CA, Agua Caliente County Park, CA, all within a day's drive from Quartzsite.

While I agree that a long term stay in Quartzsite is not for everyone, those of us that want to escape winter & enjoy just plain relaxing, it a good winter home. If you want a day by day journal of someone that "wastes away in Quartzsite", check my Trips page for links to the last couple of southwest trips
Old 01-04-2020, 12:25 PM   #13

Jon, very informative, thanks a lot for your time!
Old 01-04-2020, 02:36 PM   #14

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
RE: "...generators to kill the wanted silence, loud music, party atmosphere, drunks and stoners, you find a great spot and some a$$hole with a generator and stereo sets up next to you, etc. ..."

Who hasn't had camping experience with that ? Done Quartzsite 3-4 times, everyone always happy to see you, courteous, funny, friendly....generous - maybe because we're all past the cranky stages of life. Yeah, the lush gardens of shangrala it ain't. You don't like rocks? That's all we got - we deal with it. After every year I tell myself "you are done with this place". But, birds of a feather, etc etc.
Attached Thumbnails
QtzR2019089.jpg  
Old 01-04-2020, 03:16 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
RE: "...generators to kill the wanted silence, loud music, party atmosphere, drunks and stoners, you find a great spot and some a$$hole with a generator and stereo sets up next to you, etc. ..."

Who hasn't had camping experience with that ? Done Quartzsite 3-4 times, everyone always happy to see you, courteous, funny, friendly....generous - maybe because we're all past the cranky stages of life. Yeah, the lush gardens of shangrala it ain't. You don't like rocks? That's all we got - we deal with it. After every year I tell myself "you are done with this place". But, birds of a feather, etc etc.
Well said Myron and the beauty is in the eye of the beholder ! Gosh we were there Friday to Monday and sure was quiet at night ! Did we miss out on something we didn’t know about ? Pat
Old 01-04-2020, 03:58 PM   #16

Maybe me humming "Orphan Train"

I enjoy the live music in the afternoon. I forget what Myron called it, wasn't "live music".

Ron
Old 01-04-2020, 05:19 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Maybe me humming "Orphan Train"

I enjoy the live music in the afternoon. I forget what Myron called it, wasn't "live music".

Ron
That must of been it ! I guess then we didn’t miss anything ! Pat
Old 01-04-2020, 06:38 PM   #18

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
If you camp near the Gravel Pit Pavilion at Imperial Dam, Sunday afternoon you will be entertained by a crowd of musicians (around 25 of them). Of course you also have to put up with the 8:00AM morning exercises all weekdays. The Yoga people are not too bad, but the aerobic folks make an awful lot of noise!
Old 01-04-2020, 06:54 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryb67 View Post
Yesterday we purchased two locks @ $110 each for our ebikes. If not in our truck, covered and hidden to help prevent opportunity theft, we will lock them everywhere we go. Too much opportunity theft at campgrounds these days, and public areas are worse. We never locked our recumbents, didn't even carry locks, but ebikes are a hot commodity. Don't waste your time with a cheap lock. A friend of mine took his simple chain cutter about a foot long and cut through my $30 cable lock in one second. They're going to have to own a good portable grinder with an expensive wheel to get through this lock. We'll also be purchasing a vibration alarm. ......

Perry
I do have a section of Pewag chain and a couple of pretty beefy Abus locks and a motion sensor alarm lock. I feel they would be an overkill to carry on my ebike trips plus the chain is very heavy so I will look for a slightly lighter but still strong bike lock chain that hopefully can't be cut with an average chain cutter. This is my first time thinking about going to Quartzsite and haven't heard much mention about bike/ebike theft at the "Q" from this forum or other sources so don't know how much/little risk is there. But I guess it's wise to err on the safe side.
Old 01-04-2020, 07:14 PM   #20

Quote:
This is my first time thinking about going to Quartzsite and haven't heard much mention about bike/ebike theft at the "Q" from this forum or other sources so don't know how much/little risk is there. But I guess it's wise to err on the safe side.
There's probably a few thousand acres of land to choose a place to park but most f.g. folks tend to park in the one same area. So what you have is a lot of friends and other folks with similar trailer tastes grouped in one area. Sort of makes for a pretty good situation from a security point of view.

I go through the motions. I use a cable that could easily be cut but no ones going to "borrow" my bike just by walking off with it. Haven't heard of any bike thefts but at least doing a basic lockup seems like the thing to do Q'site or anywhere. There are areas where I wouldn't just cable lock them, I'd put them in the truck but Q'site isn't one of those places.

Ron