Where to camp after picking up our Escape in May - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-09-2017, 11:12 AM   #1

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21
Where to camp after picking up our Escape in May

We are doing some long range planning for our 3-4 week adventure home after we pick up our Escape 21 on May 25. We are bummed that it looks like we will miss the 2018 Escape Trailer Rally by 2 days. This will all be new to us but I'm guessing by the time we do our orientation and have our trailer transported over the boarder into the US it will be too late in the day to make it to the rally even by the 25th. Since we will be missing the rally we would like to camp somewhere near Chilliwack for the first night or two just to make sure everything is good, then start our long journey home to Southern California. We we love Canada but we have never camped there. Our rough, very flexible plan is to spend about a week in Canada and then come home through Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, and Utah. Any suggestions would be appreciated, especially when it comes to Canada. We am hoping to avoid really narrow, winding, difficult roads if possible. Also wondering about weather conditions in Canada late May through June. Thank you,
Matt & Mary
matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 11:34 AM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
It's not that much of a drive from Sumas to Osoyoos and it's likely that you could arrive about dinner time and certainly before dark. There's lot's of events on the Saturday.

There's lot's of choices for the route home. One thing that always surprises me is that most pickup the trailer and blast off somewhere. Very few take the opportunity to visit Vancouver area which has a lot to offer. I find that surprising since a lot of folks are from far away places and not likely to be back in this area again.

Weather in that time of year? Probably sunny and very warm but these days, who knows?

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 11:40 AM   #3

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
We did a similar trip after pickup. After taking delivery in Sumas, transferring our possessions from the tow to the trailer and stopping at the Safeway in Lynden we crossed back into Canada and spent three nights at Porteau Cove Provincial Park. From there we took a day trip up to Whistler.

Visiting Vancouver and a big city did not appeal to us. We wanted to check out and enjoy our new trailer. We never had a need to return to Escape.

Purchasing food took some research, only because some items were not allowable across the border, not that anyone cared. We did stop in Abbotsford to pick up some of those items we believed would not pass muster. We had more issues coming back into the US and the USDA inspector confiscated our lemons, knew the only watermelons in season came from California and missed the apples. Not sure if it would have helped but perhaps keeping the receipt from Safeway might be useful. We thought of it as a fun process and were not bothered by the inspection.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 11:56 AM   #4

Trailer: Escape 17B - Sept 2017
When I picked up my trailer last Sept I spent a couple nights at the KOA in Lynden for a get acquainted/check out of my trailer before heading home to northern California.... just in case I needed anything before getting too far from the factory.

I went to the rally last year way before my completion date and learned so much from all the folks there. Was really helpful in completing my build sheet - although your build sheet will be completed by then. I stayed at a hotel in Osoyoos during the rally and then headed to Chilliwack to put the finishing touches on my built sheet.
parfsten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 12:40 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
The nice thing about going direct from Chilliwack to Osoyoos on Friday is that Reace will be at the rally Friday to Sunday and if there are any issues, he can probably take care of it right there. He spends some of the time there going around fixing little items before relaxing and enjoying the rally. The rally starts Friday and end Sunday so you will not miss it and get to see some beautiful country. In fact, after taking possession in Sumas, I'd drive back across and head east on Canada #1 to Hope, BC and after that right on Canada #3, Crowsnest Highway to Osoyoos.
you will see some beautiful country.
Old 11-09-2017, 12:55 PM   #6

Trailer: 5.0TA 2016 Spirit Bear
This brochure has been really helpful to us when we enter the US. I always call them as well just to get the latest changes.
Attached Thumbnails
8DC63E2B-92B4-41D0-8690-6AE336ACA6D6.jpg  
Old 11-09-2017, 01:11 PM   #7

Trailer: Escape 21 - Nov 2017 "Harvey"
Be sure to book an appointment for your Orientation. Your "Completion Date" is not the same. And appointments slots do fill up early, well before ETI sends you email reminders.
jking1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 01:42 PM   #8

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
We stayed at Silver Lake Park, Maple Falls, Whatcom County, Washington. From Sumas, it took us about a half hour to get to the campground. I wish that we had spent more time there. It was an August weekend so any other month or even weekdays would be less crowded. We then went back into Canada for many weeks, going to several provinces, seeing spectacular sights everywhere!
Attached Thumbnails
P1080008.jpg  
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 04:16 PM   #9

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
We spent the first night in Lynden at Hidden Village RV Park on highway 539 (Guide Meridian Road) just a couple of roundabouts south of the Lynden Safeway (a nice Safeway by the way). It is cheaper than the KOA and a lot quieter (most of the time).
AKCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 04:48 PM   #10

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Here's a good thread for information on what some did:

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f3...k-up-6289.html
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote