Where to get water when boondocking - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login

Old 12-16-2016, 09:57 PM   #1

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
Where to get water when boondocking

I'm planning a trip to the desert in February. We'll be out 2 or 3 weeks and I'm finding that many of the campgrounds do not have water. So where can we go to fill our fresh water tank? I know gas stations often have water available, but is it ok for us to fill our tank from that?

We can last about 3 or 4 days on a tank of water, but clearly we'll need to refill a few times on this trip. What do you think?

Jill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 10:27 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape
If you are unsure of the quality of the water going into the tank you probably should carry gallon jugs of water for drinking. And carry 5 gallon jug that you can use to refill the water tank on a daily basis or whenever you can. That saves having to move the trailer. Remember a funnel or length of siphon hose.

Viajante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 11:14 PM   #3

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
Being in one spot for a month with no water, I have a 50 gal tank strapped in the front of the pickup box. I run into town and get about a fill and a half from that but for cooking and drinking, I use bottled water. There's just to much of a chance of contamination with all of the handling, including using the battery powered pump to transfer the water. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 11:48 PM   #4

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
I'm curious where the black and grey water is going. Normally, you can get fresh water at a dump station.

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 01:42 AM   #5

Where to get water when boondocking

When boondocking in our 21 we get 5-6 days from our tank. Learning to conserve water is the key. You can replenish at gas stations, as they usually have potable water available. We also bring a couple of 5 gallon water store containers filled with extra water to extend our water to last a day or two longer and when empty pick up extra water as we pass gas stations or country stores in the area.

I made a funnel from a milk jug with a piece of tubing wedged into its neck instead of a funnel. The jug, with a cutout on the top side, has more buffering volume than a funnel for dealing with the fluctuations you get when pouring from the large 5 gal container. I tried a pump but it was too slow and more complicated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bobbito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 06:12 AM   #6

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbito View Post
I tried a pump but it was too slow and more complicated.
Very difficult holding 5-7 gallon containers to fill the onboard tank. Researched and found this small, high capacity, self-priming transfer pump that works great. Also available in 12V (model PC1).

PC2 | WAYNE Pumps
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 06:29 AM   #7

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
It took a while, but finally accepted that only filling the 6 gallon jug 1/2 to 2/3rds full is a lot easier to handle. I use this when filling when there is water relatively nearby like at National Parks, Forests or other places without water hookups. Also use a smaller spare tank for dumping grey. This eliminates the need to move the trailer for dumping and refilling.
Old 12-17-2016, 08:48 AM   #8

Right now, with my wife holding the funnel/jug, I prefer to hold and pour the 5 gal jug. In a few years I will be going for a transfer pump, but the one in the link is 120V. I would need a 12V pump when boondocking.
Bob K

Bobbito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 10:13 AM   #9

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2016 GMC Canyon Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbito View Post
Right now, with my wife holding the funnel/jug, I prefer to hold and pour the 5 gal jug. In a few years I will be going for a transfer pump, but the one in the link is 120V. I would need a 12V pump when boondocking.
Bob K

They also make a 12v pump:

https://www.amazon.com/PC1-Portable-...e+12v+transfer
stephen99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 10:54 AM   #10

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen99 View Post
That is the pump that I use. I rewired it so the pump sits on the tailgate with plenty of cord to reach the truck battery. It really puts out pretty good pressure and doesn't take that long to fill the trailer tank. About 3 times as expensive as one from Harbor Freight but I have heard stories of those only lasting a couple of hours. Plus included with this unit is a pump rebuild kit. Loren

Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote