Where to get water when boondocking - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login

Old 12-16-2016, 09:57 PM   #1

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
Where to get water when boondocking

I'm planning a trip to the desert in February. We'll be out 2 or 3 weeks and I'm finding that many of the campgrounds do not have water. So where can we go to fill our fresh water tank? I know gas stations often have water available, but is it ok for us to fill our tank from that?

We can last about 3 or 4 days on a tank of water, but clearly we'll need to refill a few times on this trip. What do you think?
Jill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 10:27 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape
If you are unsure of the quality of the water going into the tank you probably should carry gallon jugs of water for drinking. And carry 5 gallon jug that you can use to refill the water tank on a daily basis or whenever you can. That saves having to move the trailer. Remember a funnel or length of siphon hose.
Viajante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 11:14 PM   #3

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
Being in one spot for a month with no water, I have a 50 gal tank strapped in the front of the pickup box. I run into town and get about a fill and a half from that but for cooking and drinking, I use bottled water. There's just to much of a chance of contamination with all of the handling, including using the battery powered pump to transfer the water. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 11:48 PM   #4

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I'm curious where the black and grey water is going. Normally, you can get fresh water at a dump station.
Old 12-17-2016, 01:42 AM   #5

Where to get water when boondocking

When boondocking in our 21 we get 5-6 days from our tank. Learning to conserve water is the key. You can replenish at gas stations, as they usually have potable water available. We also bring a couple of 5 gallon water store containers filled with extra water to extend our water to last a day or two longer and when empty pick up extra water as we pass gas stations or country stores in the area.

I made a funnel from a milk jug with a piece of tubing wedged into its neck instead of a funnel. The jug, with a cutout on the top side, has more buffering volume than a funnel for dealing with the fluctuations you get when pouring from the large 5 gal container. I tried a pump but it was too slow and more complicated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bobbito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 06:12 AM   #6

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbito View Post
I tried a pump but it was too slow and more complicated.
Very difficult holding 5-7 gallon containers to fill the onboard tank. Researched and found this small, high capacity, self-priming transfer pump that works great. Also available in 12V (model PC1).

PC2 | WAYNE Pumps
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 06:29 AM   #7

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
It took a while, but finally accepted that only filling the 6 gallon jug 1/2 to 2/3rds full is a lot easier to handle. I use this when filling when there is water relatively nearby like at National Parks, Forests or other places without water hookups. Also use a smaller spare tank for dumping grey. This eliminates the need to move the trailer for dumping and refilling.
Old 12-17-2016, 08:48 AM   #8

Right now, with my wife holding the funnel/jug, I prefer to hold and pour the 5 gal jug. In a few years I will be going for a transfer pump, but the one in the link is 120V. I would need a 12V pump when boondocking.
Bob K

Bobbito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 10:13 AM   #9

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2016 GMC Canyon Duramax
Quote:
Right now, with my wife holding the funnel/jug, I prefer to hold and pour the 5 gal jug. In a few years I will be going for a transfer pump, but the one in the link is 120V. I would need a 12V pump when boondocking.
Bob K

They also make a 12v pump:

https://www.amazon.com/PC1-Portable-...e+12v+transfer
stephen99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 10:54 AM   #10

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen99 View Post
That is the pump that I use. I rewired it so the pump sits on the tailgate with plenty of cord to reach the truck battery. It really puts out pretty good pressure and doesn't take that long to fill the trailer tank. About 3 times as expensive as one from Harbor Freight but I have heard stories of those only lasting a couple of hours. Plus included with this unit is a pump rebuild kit. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 10:55 AM   #11

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
Right now, with my wife holding the funnel/jug, I prefer to hold and pour the 5 gal jug. ...
My first attempt at holding the jug and pouring into the funnel turned out to be a 3 ring circus and hernia maker. Plus the mosquitos had a field day since our hands were occupied. Nuts to that...

Purchased a Harbor Freight 12v transfer pump, added a long cord and foot switch. Now I leave the jugs on the tailgate, attach the fresh water hose to the pump and plug into the trailer. Push the switch and 5 gallons is transferred in 90 seconds.

--
Alan
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 11:33 AM   #12

Thanks everyone. A few comments below... Looks like we need to do a better job conserving too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren & Cathy View Post
Being in one spot for a month with no water, I have a 50 gal tank strapped in the front of the pickup box. I run into town and get about a fill and a half from that but for cooking and drinking, I use bottled water. There's just to much of a chance of contamination with all of the handling, including using the battery powered pump to transfer the water. Loren
When you say you go into town - where is it in town you get it from? Is it a gas station? When getting that much water do you pay for it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Very difficult holding 5-7 gallon containers to fill the onboard tank. Researched and found this small, high capacity, self-priming transfer pump that works great. Also available in 12V (model PC1).

PC2 | WAYNE Pumps
Hadn't thought about that! I will look into getting a pump or some way to hold up the container while filling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viajante View Post
If you are unsure of the quality of the water going into the tank you probably should carry gallon jugs of water for drinking. And carry 5 gallon jug that you can use to refill the water tank on a daily basis or whenever you can. That saves having to move the trailer. Remember a funnel or length of siphon hose.
We always use bottled water for drinking/coffee/cooking, so no worries there. But I do want to be sure we use only potable water in our fresh water tank as it is used for dish washing, brushing teeth etc.
Jill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 12:19 PM   #13

Quote:
In a few years I will be going for a transfer pump, but the one in the link is 120V. I would need a 12V pump when boondocking.
Bob, we went with 120V because my father boondocks for a month + off Lake Erie to steelhead fish. He has the generator handy. I think ideal would be the 12V pump if it was rewired with a cigarette outlet type plug and the trailer was wired with an outdoor 12V receptacle near the water fill location.

I know someone provided the Amazon link but here is the mfr page which sometimes has better info: PC1 | WAYNE Pumps

The original poster was wondering about where to get water. I assume this varies by the area. When my father is in Erie the Qwik Fill gas station/truck stop lets him fill containers inside which is from a treated municipal system.
Old 12-17-2016, 12:34 PM   #14

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
In Quartzsite where the big gathering is held in Feb, there are several RV service businesses that sell water and dump services. In AZ most grocery stores, etc have water vending machines outside where you can fill bottles, probably because we're a desert environment.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 04:33 PM   #15

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
I don't know about desert areas, but in this area many municipalities run RV dump stations where they also provide free or cheap water. Due to poor well water quality around here, there are also publicly accessible water fill stations which are normally used to fill truck that supply rural homes, but an RV could fill at them as well. My nearest gas station doesn't have other RV services (e.g. no dump station), but does sell water (bring your own jugs), which they have trucked in. Some businesses looking for RV customers provide similar services - truck stops can be good for this.

You certainly have more supply options if you can fill jugs to transfer water into the trailer, even if you never carry full jugs.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 05:10 PM   #16

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B/2021 F150 w/ 3.5 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill View Post
I'm planning a trip to the desert in February. We'll be out 2 or 3 weeks and I'm finding that many of the campgrounds do not have water. So where can we go to fill our fresh water tank? I know gas stations often have water available, but is it ok for us to fill our tank from that?

We can last about 3 or 4 days on a tank of water, but clearly we'll need to refill a few times on this trip. What do you think?

I bought two of these food grade 5 gal jugs. They are tough, easy to handle with large openings for easy filling and they stack well. Also bought one spigot for easy filling of water tank or a cook pot.

Water Barrel, 5 Gallon Sampson Stacker Emergency Water Storage Jug
Old 12-20-2016, 05:59 PM   #17

Trailer: 2024 Bigfoot 21RB
When boondocking we use water from our internal tank until it runs out then if at a provincial campsite or rv park can usually find a drinking water quality tap and will fill up a 5 gal jug several times and will pour it in the tank. We try to plan ahead and when we know we will be boondocking and will fill the tanks prior. Very seldom do we buy and use jugs of water in the trailer.
gharper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 06:03 PM   #18

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Canada Tire has these that have served us well for many years: Reliance Aqua Pak

The pipe thread hole in the cap is great as you can adapt it to a short piece of hose for much easier transfer to the Escape's fresh tank.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 06:27 PM   #19

Trailer: 2014 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by gharper View Post
When boondocking we use water from our internal tank until it runs out then if at a provincial campsite or rv park can usually find a drinking water quality tap and will fill up a 5 gal jug several times and will pour it in the tank. We try to plan ahead and when we know we will be boondocking and will fill the tanks prior. Very seldom do we buy and use jugs of water in the trailer.
Gordon, that is what we do. We carry two Coghlan 5 gallon collapsible water containers and a folding table that we got at REI in the trailers storage hatch. When refilling the trailers tank we set the containers on the folding table and use a shaker siphon to transfer the water. Scott

Scott, Lori and Fritz the Schnauzer
Fat bikes are FUN!
AK snowbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 07:46 PM   #20

A bit more $$ than your average water jug, but these work well for someone looking for something made a little more rugged.

Scepter Water Cans - Scepter Military Water Cans - Scepter Watre Cans for sale, Scepter Military Fuel Cans, Military Water Cans, MWC, (MWC), Scepter 2.5 gallon water cans, Scepter 5 gallon water cans, Scepter 10 liter water cans, Scepter 20 liter wat