Where to Noodle Around near Chilliwack - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login

Old 04-08-2016, 01:07 PM   #1

Trailer: Casita
Where to Noodle Around near Chilliwack

Can we pick up our trailer in Chilliwack, or do we need to have ETI bring it across the border for us? We want to hang around for a few days for a shake-down cruise before we start back to TN. Where are some good places to camp near Chilliwack for our maiden voyage? There are some cool events scheduled for Harrison Hot Springs in late summer. Is that a possibility? What did you all do on your first few days?
Trav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 01:19 PM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I think one way or the other, the day you take possession it's on the US side of the border. Whether you decide to go back into Canada, that's up to you. But, the trailer has already been imported into the US.

I spent two nights in Lynden, WA... about 15 miles southwest of Sumas at the Cedars RV Resort. It was nice, but I wouldn't recommend it. I remember others mentioning a nearby KOA they liked for those first night(s).
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 01:31 PM   #3

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I think one way or the other, the day you take possession it's on the US side of the border. Whether you decide to go back into Canada, that's up to you. But, the trailer has already been imported into the US.).
Not really. Your trailer is in Canada if you choose to pick it up your self from ETI. It's only ready for pickup in the US if you arrange to have it there for pick up.
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 01:33 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
You have to pick up the trailer in Sumas WA due to export requirements. That is 14 miles from Chilliwack. Once in Washington, we headed for the Safeway Store in Leyden, after unloading our vehicle contents into the trailer, for groceries. We made sure the refrigerator was started during the orientation so it would be cooled down in time for filling. Once stocked up on food items we knew we could cross the border with, we headed back into BC. One more stop at a Canadian grocery for the "banned" items and then Porteau Cove north of Vancouver. This is just off the Sea to Sky Highway and about 1 1/2 hours from Chilliwack.

You do have to cross back (no big deal) and there are myriads of postings here on places to go spend one or a few nights on a shake down. From my experience I did not find Chilliwack to be a culinary hot spot or having a lot going one. I wanted to be camping in an area I had never seen, not spending time in an urban environment. But we all have different measures. We also had a fair amount of work to do as we brought along modifications mostly for our own design of a solar charging system. Even though we were prior owners of an Escape there were enough new and changed items that it took time to research and test.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 01:35 PM   #5

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
I believe that Donna's point is that for sale to a U.S. customer, delivery is in the U.S. so that Escape Trailer Industries can do the exportation to the U.S.; a Canadian customer takes delivery in Canada. In the past U.S. customers would pick up in Chillwack and take it over the border themselves, but administratively that's a substantially different arrangement with implications for both parties, and I think I have heard that Escape will no longer do this.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 02:05 PM   #6

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
ETI handles all of the paperwork for US customers and the customs people at Sumas know them so well that they just show the forms and get flagged through. I think our trailer was the third one the day we got ours. ETI charged a $200 brokerage fee but it was so easy that it was well worth it. I pay a lot more to have my taxes done. My only question would be going back into Canada without the license plate. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 02:12 PM   #7

Oh, okay, I thought that Trav was implying that he would like to p/u his trailer in Chilliwack and spend some time there for a shaking-down.
Can US customers no longer do that?
Old 04-08-2016, 02:32 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Mac View Post
Oh, okay, I thought that Trav was implying that he would like to p/u his trailer in Chilliwack and spend some time there for a shaking-down.
Can US customers no longer do that?
Yep, sorta Pickup the trailer in Sumas and cross back over the border.

Different rules depending on what side of the border the owner lives. I see Trav lives in Tennessee, that's why my initial response.
Old 04-08-2016, 05:10 PM   #9

Okay, now I'm confused.
If we were going to answer the OP's question, would we say yes, you can pick up your trailer in Chilliwack (if you have proper documentation) or no, you have to go to Sumas?
Old 04-08-2016, 05:17 PM   #10

Trailer: 2014 17B;2012 Nissan Frontier SV 4
On the Harrison question.

Harrison is a small pretty town, quite touristy. It can get VERY busy on nice summer days and wknds. There are some camp grounds in town and small provincial parks nearby. I think u would want to prebook any CG u want to stay in well in advance. Pretty much anything from Hope to Vancouver will be busy during the summer and require prebooking. Lots of urbanites needing to get out of town competing for limited resources.

Larry
LarryandLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 05:34 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Mac View Post
Okay, now I'm confused.
If we were going to answer the OP's question, would we say yes, you can pick up your trailer in Chilliwack (if you have proper documentation) or no, you have to go to Sumas?
No, US citizens have to go to Sumas. Fourteen miles from Chilliwack and a foreign country away.
Old 04-08-2016, 06:15 PM   #12

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21 2002 Tundra 4x4 V-8 tow package.
Last November when we went to pickup our trailer at Escape . I discovered I had a problem with my 7 pin plug at orientation. I asked if I could take delivery there at the factory to get my wiring sorted. That was NOT possible, ETI had to export to Sumas, I was told no US trailers could take delivery at the factory, and if not exported that day, new export documents would need to be drawn up at a cost $200.
craiginpetaluma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 10:24 PM   #13

Trailer: 2015 17A - Ready for more Maiden Voyages ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by craiginpetaluma View Post
Last November when we went to pickup our trailer at Escape . I discovered I had a problem with my 7 pin plug at orientation. I asked if I could take delivery there at the factory to get my wiring sorted. That was NOT possible, ETI had to export to Sumas, I was told no US trailers could take delivery at the factory, and if not exported that day, new export documents would need to be drawn up at a cost $200.
The same happened to me at pick up in February. My 7 pin was wired poorly .... only 3 wires out of seven were correct. Reace sent me to a RV place about a mile East of ETI on a road that parallels Hwy 1. They did a great job on my wiring and everthing worked perfectly AND I was still able to cross the border in time without having to wait another day and pay for an additional export document.

Thank you Rease, thank you "Cap It" ( I think that was the name of the RV installation business).

As a side note: I had my wiring done at a RV shop in Olympia, Washington called Olympic Trailer Supply and Repair. They way over charged me for my 7 pin installation and incorrectly wired my tow vehicle. Stay away from that business!

Tom
Old 04-08-2016, 11:00 PM   #14

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarvingHyena View Post
Thank you Rease, thank you "Cap It" ( I think that was the name of the RV installation business).
Sounds right - Cap-it is a chain of truck accessories stores (which started selling "caps" or "canopies").
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote