Winter camping - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-11-2014, 03:35 PM   #21

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Not certain to whom the question is addressed, but I'll take a stab at it.

The "plan" is to not keep the grey/black tanks warm at all, but to add a quart or two of RV antifreeze every evening before bed. As long as the plumbing going in the in-direction doesn't freeze, we can wait for a warm day for the contents to thaw and then dump.

For us, 34F would be most of a night. In the high desert the temp can go from a balmy 50F to frigid 20F in just a couple of hours after the sun goes down. Even a 40 degree drop wouldn't cause much campground chatter in Canyonlands. Never have to worry about sleeping hot in November!
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 06:44 AM   #22

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Without any tank insulation, I have had many nights that dropped below freezing without any problems. One night in November, when the temps dropped to -8°C (17.6°F) did I find some hard slush in the low-point drain line when I went to drain the system in the morning. I just left it a few hours until it got back a bit above freezing, warmed the pipe a bit with my hands, and all was fine.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 08:07 AM   #23

Trailer: 2014 17b/ 2012 Chevy Colorado
Thinking about the condition of maintaining above freezing temps during transport. Does anyone ever tow a trailer with the furnace running?
yardsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 11:52 AM   #24

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
I do that all the time in the cool/cold shoulder seasons.. I just keep the furnace switched to the on position and set at the lowest temperature. To be honest towing a relatively lightly insulated box in a 60mph cold wind is not going to give you great heating results but I like to keep the frost out of the trailer while driving and things warm up inside much quicker once you stop if the interior has stayed above freezing.
Old 06-12-2014, 02:30 PM   #25
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Above freezing is good - would be better is we could travel with doors open on those cabinets where there is plumbing, but probably would wind up with unfrozen water lines and a BUNCH of stuff on the floor............

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 05:35 PM   #26

Trailer: TBD
I thought that I had read on here or maybe FGRV that at one time Escape offered internal tanks as an option on the 17. As I remember it you lost quite a bit of storage space and the tanks may have been smaller as well.
However no one else seems to be mentioning this so perhaps I am just confused. It wouldn't even be the first time today.
badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 06:33 PM   #27

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Depending on the model, you can ask for the fresh tank be installed under the bed, in the 19' Escape. Otherwise the foam insulation will handle temperatures down to -0- as long as you keep the heat on inside the unit. This is based upon my use of the unit in the winter.
Old 06-13-2014, 10:57 AM   #28

Trailer: TBD
Just to be clear that's -0- Fahrenheit with no tank warmers plugged in?

That's very impressive perhaps I'm overthinking the cold weather thing. In your experience do the thermal windows on the Escape prevent the worst of any condensation issues?
badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 03:29 PM   #29

Trailer: 2014 17b/ 2012 Chevy Colorado
Speaking of insulation. Does the insulation package, with or without the tank heaters cover the axles? My question relates to a locking device which uses the axle--just wanted to access lots of folks interested in cold weather options.
yardsale is offline   Reply With Quote