Winter Driving On 70 Through Colorado - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-26-2020, 07:36 AM   #21

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlsacco View Post
The highway patrol had closed 70 both sides of us and we were in the dead space. I got through but my takeaway is it is passable even in some snow with 4x4 BUT it was knuckles white driving. The weather on the plains is no indication of the passes. You need a good clear stretch of good weather and use the camera site to see what it is like all along the route before you start your run .
Horrifying! Living in Colorado since 1982, I have seen many really bad crashes. Conditions can change dramatically and quickly.

Our heavy snow months are (in order)
3. February
1. March
2. April

You can get into trouble in any month and when upslope storms hit in the late Spring, the Front Range (below the mountains) can get horrible for a few days at a time.

Make sure you take that advice and check conditions BEFORE you get into the mountains. White knuckle driving sucks!
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 08:38 AM   #22

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleTim View Post
You can get into trouble in any month and when upslope storms hit in the late Spring, the Front Range (below the mountains) can get horrible for a few days at a time.
Worth repeating...
A foot of snow on I-70 in the mountains - in May - would hardly make the news, or even in June. And a mid-summer thunderstorm with hail can have the same effect. Try to do your mountain driving in the mornings to avoid the worst storms.
--
Alan
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 01:16 PM   #23

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
Today is a good example of a week you want to avoid Colorado and Wyoming when doing any traveling other than skiing or other mountain sports, where the sport is crazier than the driving to get there.

I -80 and I-25 are both closed in Wyoming Today. The Front Range, close to the foothills have some black ice. You can slide a long way on black ice. I-70 thru central Colorado is currently open. It would be out of the question for anyone pulling a trailer (IMHO). Totally white knuckle.

This will take about 4 days to clear up then the roads should be clear for awhile. But the storms are starting to stack up now in usual fashion. For the next 60-70 days it can be iffy!

That's the report from Boulder Today, Monday Feb 3rd.

I hope there is nothing but love in your world!
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 01:50 PM   #24

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
and Sumas border crossing is still closed......flooding!!