Winter West Coast Camping: Hiding Out - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login

Old 12-05-2017, 09:43 AM   #1

Trailer: 2016/ 5TA Spirit Bear
Winter West Coast Camping: Hiding Out

Hiding in Tofino BC along the ocean shores in our 5 TA. Second trip for us and our Golden Retriever. Storm watching season but days are beautiful, sunny which is rare on the coast in winter and highs in the mid 50 ‘s Fahrenheit. Everything working well. Great time to travel. Not crowded. Enjoyed the super moon the other night.
Mark James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 11:58 AM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
That is not winter nor is that fair....
Old 12-05-2017, 12:47 PM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
While not the coast (at least, until the "Big One" hits), Quartzsite, AZ isn't too bad a way to spend the winter. Last weekend was in the 80's, although I have to admit last night was down to 31°F; first freezing night since I arrived in mid November.
Old 12-05-2017, 01:10 PM   #4

Trailer: 2013 19ft Escape "Eggy Sue"
Just wondering...where in Tofino are you staying?
2002 Toyota Tundra 4X4
peter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 01:30 PM   #5

Crystal Cove Resort. Cabins and RV sites. Full service
Old 12-05-2017, 01:46 PM   #6

Yes your right not a fair comparison.
Old 12-05-2017, 01:59 PM   #7

Did not realize you got that kind of temperature swing in Quartzsite. Going beginning of February. What can I expect?
Old 12-05-2017, 02:39 PM   #8

Trailer: Escape #2 On The Way
I’ve looked at that park a couple times on the net. Looks nice there, love this time of year there. How would you rate the park? Should post a few pics if you get time.
Bakes99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 02:48 PM   #9

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark James View Post
Did not realize you got that kind of temperature swing in Quartzsite. Going beginning of February. What can I expect?
Just about anything. The rally has had everything from shorts & "T" shirts to snow, although daytime in the 70's & nights in the high 40's it more likely.
Old 12-05-2017, 08:34 PM   #10

Trailer: 2011 19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark James View Post
Hiding in Tofino BC along the ocean shores in our 5 TA. Second trip for us and our Golden Retriever. Storm watching season but days are beautiful, sunny which is rare on the coast in winter and highs in the mid 50 ‘s Fahrenheit. Everything working well. Great time to travel. Not crowded. Enjoyed the super moon the other night.
If the ferries weren't so expensive I'd join you. Love it out there.

My Blog; https://lenanddian.blogspot.com
Old Fulica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 03:34 PM   #11

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
Right on about the ferries. With a reservation it cost us $450 return to Vancouver Island. We make a point of going for at least a week to make it worthwhile. And Tofino/Ucluelet...wow! They are especially great in the summer. We always end up having a couple of great dinners at The Schooner. Mmmm! And the Pacific Rim Trail, trail to Schooner Cove, etc are great walks. Then there is watching the surfers and waves.
Maybe next summer.

Bob K

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bobbito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 04:03 PM   #12

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA picked up in July 2017.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbito View Post
Right on about the ferries. With a reservation it cost us $450 return to Vancouver Island. We make a point of going for at least a week to make it worthwhile. And Tofino/Ucluelet...wow! They are especially great in the summer. We always end up having a couple of great dinners at The Schooner. Mmmm! And the Pacific Rim Trail, trail to Schooner Cove, etc are great walks. Then there is watching the surfers and waves.
Maybe next summer.

Bob K

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
$450.00 Yikes! I would have to stay there a month to justify that cost. Is the Port Townsend Ferry any cheaper? My wife and I took the ferry and spent a week in a hotel in Nanaimo last February and fell in love with the island. We had great weather just before the February snow storms bottled up BC. As we left for SeaTac Airport it started raining but not enough to affect driving or our flight back to Colorado. My trailer was on order then so we looked at some of the campgrounds but really enjoyed hiking and for me, hiking at sea level is a lot easier. I planned to camp a lot in BC when I picked up my trailer on July 10 but the place was on fire and I couldn't keep up with the evacuations so I spent three nights at Birch Bay State Park and then went to Detroit Lake area in Oregon. I left there in early August, killed thousands of butterflies as I slowly drove East out of the mountains and then a couple weeks later that area was on fire.
SFDavis50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 06:30 PM   #13

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFDavis50 View Post
$450.00 Yikes! I would have to stay there a month to justify that cost. Is the Port Townsend Ferry any cheaper?
BC Ferries Schedule and fares.
Do you mean Port Angeles WA, which has a ferry to Victoria? That's a much shorter trip, but the fares are even higher; if you're coming from or returning to Washington anyway that may still make sense.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 08:54 PM   #14

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Living in Port Angeles we love Victoria and Vancouver Island. Unfortunately the Coho ferry from Port Angeles to Victoria is $401US for a round trip with our truck and 19. With this we either stay in motels or tent camp. Maybe when we have time to stay for a few weeks we will justify taking our 19.
Doug & Betty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 11:46 PM   #15

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA picked up in July 2017.
Thanks for the info. When I posted my message I didn't have time to look up the ferry schedules and price. I'll have to plan a month long trip for our next Vancouver Island vacation which means it can't happen until after my wife retires, gets laid off, fired or dumps me. That may be a few years from now.
SFDavis50 is offline   Reply With Quote