Yellowknife,NW - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-03-2012, 08:16 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Yellowknife,NW

Has any of our members traveled to Yellowknife? I think that is where "Ice Road Truckers" is filmed and looks like an interesting place to have been to. The northern lights must be spectacular from there? Just wondering if any Escapes have made it that far north?
Old 11-03-2012, 10:06 PM   #2

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Not Yellowknife, I know, but similar...

We weren't pulling a trailer, but my wife and I were in Whitehorse earlier this summer. We toured around a little, including visiting Kluane National Park. Lovely country, and I'd love to go back and explore.

As for the northern lights, keep in mind that in the summer you'll see very little night, and even at the darkest the sky isn't very dark. We were there a little before the summer solstice, and we didn't get north of the arctic circle, but we saw "nights" about 5 hours long. I quote "nights" because the sun was never very far below the horizon, so it never got really dark -- just sort of twilight-ish. All that to say: if you go any time near the solstice, you aren't likely to see northern lights...

2013 Escape 19 ("The Dog House") , 2018 Ford F150
dbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 11:47 AM   #3

Trailer: 2012 Escape 15 A
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Has any of our members traveled to Yellowknife? I think that is where "Ice Road Truckers" is filmed and looks like an interesting place to have been to. The northern lights must be spectacular from there? Just wondering if any Escapes have made it that far north?
Hi ..... the "northern lights are " magical - just beautiful . We've spent some time up in northern Ontario ( north of L. Superior ) where they are often seen , had some wonderful evening walks just looking up . Also northern Manitoba - Thompson ( a good drive and an amazing view of the lights ) from where one can take a train or flight to Churchill - there the lights are absolutely spectacular . Wolf had some work rotations in Resolute bay and of coarse they are there but generally way to cold to spend time outside viewing them . Northern Lights are worth a trip , but take a good parka and boots .
Old 11-04-2012, 03:34 PM   #4

In July, 2005 we set out from Terrace, BC in our brand new 13 foot Trillium along with our friends in their 72 13 foot Boler, headed for Yellowknife. We found travelling through northern Alberta very pleasant with lots of small towns and places to stop for coffee and golf. After Hay River we found very few rest stops or places to stop for a meal or coffee. Good government campgrounds but some of them closed up rather early - no showers after 8 pm for instance. The roads were very good except for the last bit into Yellowknife which they were working on and should be now paved. Yellowknife is a fascinating city with good museums, historical areas (Ragged Ass Road in Old Town), wonderful legislative building, diamond centre, and a golf course with NO grass. Only complaint was the bugs and at times they were ferocious. After this trip we realized we needed a bigger trailer and one with a bathroom for those in the middle of nowhere, flat country, no bushes pit stops. Bought our 17 foot Escape the following spring. A great trip with lots of good memories.
ellen smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 04:08 PM   #5

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Now there's a coincidence... On our trip to the Yukon we did an excursion down to Skagway, Alaska. And there we ran into a "Ragged Ass Lane". I wonder if that term is some piece of Northern slang I'm not familiar with.

2013 Escape 19 ("The Dog House") , 2018 Ford F150
dbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 07:57 PM   #6

Trailer: 2012- 17'B.... 2016 Tacoma SR5 TRD
I've been to Inuvik with a boler about 10 years ago.This year we're going to Inuvik again but will spot the Escape in Dawson City. The Dempster is to rough for the Escape, the road would take 10 year of it. Not to mention tires It's mostly shale and pot holes and there are two ferries up and two down to contend with.Haven't been to Yellowknife as yet but would also consider spotting the trailer some wheres safe. Ft. Providence perhaps.
Old 05-08-2013, 06:33 PM   #7

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA
We are heading up to Chilliwack for a bit of touch-up in late June, early July, From there we are heading up to Dawson City. After that I have not decided. Been to Alaska twice and wouldn't mind visiting again. Or--we have not been to Yellowknife so that is an attractive possibility. But I have two questions: gas and road conditions. The previous posts indicate the roads are in good shape, although google maps estimates it will save me about 500 miles and take a couple of hours longer to head north from Fort Nelson (Laird Hwy) vs going all the way down to Dawson Creek and then north on the Mackenzie. Any recommendation? Also, I expect to get about 16 MPG, so with a 21 gallon tank I feel comfortable getting gas every 150 - 200 miles. We ran into a couple of problems in Alaska with stations being closed or out of gas and I hate it when that light comes on. Can I reasonably expect to find gas stations within my range? I don't mind stopping sooner than 150, but I get nervous after 200 miles.

Dick
Old 05-08-2013, 06:59 PM   #8

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
If it were me, I would also carry some extra 5 gal containers, if possible in the back of the Frontier. For those "low gas" situations in the middle of nowhere. Please take some pictures and post them, thanks.
Old 05-08-2013, 07:02 PM   #9

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Hi: captmath... I know how you feel!!! We were headed home up I40 in N.C. and figured on gassing up before Raleigh. All the gas stn's. in Benson along I95 were out of gas. After the forth one I started to worry!!! Got back on I40 and off at the next exit...warning light a glow. There was a Marathon stand alone stn. with gas. WHEW!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 09:26 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Hi Jim,
My wife and I were there last summer for two weeks and return this August. Yellowknife is a fascinating place: not quite the land of the midnight sun, but pretty close. Fred Henne campsite offers some elec only sites, no full hook-ups. The old town beside the lake is a wonderful mixture of buildings and homes, some very old by today's standards. There's a busy timetable of float planes taking off and landing, the fishings good and there are a some excellent restaurants- those we've visited all had very much a frontier flavour. Gas is expensive, so is wine and beer but the scenery is definitely worth a visit!
Martin.
MartinSawdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 10:54 PM   #11

Yes, a jug 20L of gas in the back is a must.I made a rule of topping up at every gas station if the tank was less than 1/2 full.Never had to use the spare fuel,but you never know. We took the Laird on the way back but it's a lonely road with lots of wilderness but it's a day shorter on the return.
I'm picking up a extra spare for the trailer as well. When you get to Dawson be sure to take a day trip to Chicken AK I hear they have civilized it with a motel and amusement park and the like. We depart June the 8th and return on the 29th. I got to remember to bring a sign for a post at Watson Lake.
Have a safe trip.
Old 05-09-2013, 12:11 AM   #12

I hope there's room for one more.
Attached Thumbnails
IMGP4358.jpg   IMGP4359.jpg  
Old 05-09-2013, 12:40 AM   #13

We drove Victoria BC to Dawson via Fort Nelson and return in 2010, and quickly found it wise never to pass a gas station -- try to go "x" number of miles as you would further south before stopping, and they're out of gas, or the generator has broken down, or the place burned down last season but your guidebook doesn't know that. Always drive on the top 1/4 of your tank. We saw some close calls involving other people driving on fumes just making it into a station where there was no gas within 100 miles in either direction, or running out of gas on the Alaska Highway after dark and having to hike 75 miles to get some. Tow truck costs are huge, and there is no cell coverage. Don't take the chance; always fill up when you can!
And I must follow . . .
'09 17A with accessibility modifications
majaross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:37 PM   #14

Your right,but it was my experience that if some one pulled over because of a flat tire or low on gas. There where 5 or 6 vehicles that would stop and see what the trouble was. even I started pulling over to see if I could help. People up North are like that you know. They look after each other even if you plate is out of Province or State.
Old 07-02-2013, 09:49 PM   #15

Where back from our Big White North trip Steveston to Dawson City with a slight detour to Inuvik and a flight into Tuktoyaktuk total of 8,400 kms.
And a stop in at Watson Lake proved there is always room for one more.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0431.jpg   IMG_1207.jpg   IMG_1209.jpg  
Old 07-02-2013, 10:07 PM   #16

Trailer: 2012 Escape 15 A
That's an amazing drive !
Old 07-07-2013, 01:11 AM   #17

Yes it was a great adventure. The scenery was fantastic. I recommend the trip to everyone.We did it in 20 days but would liked to have had a few more.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0771.jpg   IMG_0879.jpg   IMG_1014.jpg   IMG_0789.jpg  
Old 07-07-2013, 06:16 AM   #18

Hi: Devil Dog... Thanks for posting the pics. It's a trip I want to take. It's on my "Bucket list". I sent you a personal message too. Alf
Old 07-08-2013, 09:54 PM   #19

We spotted the trailer in Dawson City while we took the truck up to Inuvik.
The reason is the 1400 kms would take 5 years of the trailers life. The gravel and shale road surface is not trailer or RV friendly and real hard on tires. My new BFG All Terrains on the truck are half gone The only Rv's we seen where rentals. While in Inuvik and Tuk we never seen the sun set for 4 days Same in Dawson, I wasn't till we got to Carmack the Sun went down for about an hour or so.I got so use to the daylight I didn't notice for a while. It is a travel Experience you will never forget. The highest gas per/L was $1.86 in Inuvik. Otherwise $1.44 was the norm. Still waiting for the gas bill to come in... Ps/ We also did the top of the world Highway 210 kms to the US border and back to Dawson. It use to be paved but now it's gravel as well and dusty.But worth every km. The picks are from top of the world Highway Yukon / Alaska border
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0615.jpg   IMG_0625.jpg   IMG_0629.jpg   IMG_0639.jpg  
Old 07-08-2013, 11:35 PM   #20

Hi: Devil Dog... Furthest north I've been was Peace River Alberta. That was mid summer 30 yrs. ago and it only got dusk for a few hrs. never really dark. We hope to take a trip out to B.C. in 2014. Might make the Escape Rally in June.
Thanks for posting more pic's. Alf