You can't get there from here - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login

Old 04-09-2019, 12:31 PM   #1

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
You can't get there from here

A message on my CoPilot GPS navigation app today:

"CoPilot failed to find a valid route to your destination."
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 12:35 PM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 1964 Globetrotter
You might check your travel preferences (if there are any) for things like "avoid tolls, ferries, etc"

This is a common problem in my part of the world... no routes are drawn where there are ferries or toll roads.

Escape Forum Custom Google Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 02:22 PM   #3

In this case there are no toll roads between my location and destination. I'm at the Seven Points COE Campground east of Nashville, and was trying to get directions for the Frist Art Museum downtown. CoPilot simply doesn't like my location; yesterday it gave me the same message when I tried to get directions to a nearby Walmart. I found it anyway. The app is just playing dumb.
Old 04-09-2019, 03:07 PM   #4

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Had a recent notice from TomTom about changes occurring on April 6. Was to do with the clock and estimated time to destination. They had a fix for it that required you to download. When downloading I got an alert that my XL was too old and offering me a coupon to buy a new one ( this is the second one I've had to replace because it can't handle the data ). Of course the coupon required you to select your country from a pull down list. And, of course, Canada wasn't on the list. And, of course, their help app is no help.

Around April 6, I was out in Chilliwack looking for directions to Cookies' Grill and TomTom lost the objective. Icon that shows you in relation to streets just disappeared.

I am not happy.
I'd complain, but they don't make it easy to contact them. You can't get there from here.
Old 04-09-2019, 03:42 PM   #5

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Had a recent notice from TomTom about changes occurring on April 6. Was to do with the clock and estimated time to destination. They had a fix for it that required you to download. When downloading I got an alert that my XL was too old and offering me a coupon to buy a new one ( this is the second one I've had to replace because it can't handle the data ). Of course the coupon required you to select your country from a pull down list. And, of course, Canada wasn't on the list. And, of course, their help app is no help.

Around April 6, I was out in Chilliwack looking for directions to Cookies' Grill and TomTom lost the objective. Icon that shows you in relation to streets just disappeared.

I am not happy.
I'd complain, but they don't make it easy to contact them. You can't get there from here.
Google maps work for me. I download the area I'm interested in while I have wifi and it then it is able to work when I'm out of network.
Old 04-09-2019, 04:33 PM   #6

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Maps.me works for us, thanks to one member who posted on another thread about traveling to Mexico. For Canadians traveling to the US this app is very handy as you download the maps onto your device and then can use offline.
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 05:22 PM   #7

Trailer: A lovely 2017 Escape 21C
GPS Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
A message on my CoPilot GPS navigation app today:

"CoPilot failed to find a valid route to your destination."

How old is your GPS? There was some kind of satellite time update this weekend and older GPS devices needed to be updated to work with new timing, or some such nonsense. TomTom sent me an email on one of my old devices (with lifetime maps) and said make the critical update or be unable to use the GPS. So I updated and placed a new USA map in. The joke in this is I don't really use the GPS anymore, what with Google Maps on the phone.
Old 04-09-2019, 05:29 PM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
A couple years ago I was going to Fort Pickens NP in Pensacola and all the mapping programs were unable to route me. Turned out that the only road there was being rebuilt after damage by hurricanes! Sometimes you have to trust the programs when they say you can’t get there!
Old 04-09-2019, 06:12 PM   #9

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Had a recent notice from TomTom about changes occurring on April 6.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven M View Post
The joke in this is I don't really use the GPS anymore, what with Google Maps on the phone.
I still have that email unopened in my Inbox. The last time that I got one of those notices it looked like I'd have to pay to upgrade, even with "lifetime" maps. But in the end I didn't have to pay for the update.

I can't really get cranked up to see what the latest deal is. The GPS in the new truck is great and I don't really need the TomTom anymore but it might be nice to have a back-up. Oh wait, we have two phones with GPS, a dedicated nav laptop and a handheld Garmin. Hmm, maybe the TomTom might end up in the drawer with old cell phones.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 06:15 PM   #10

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
Oh, I haven't tried mine since that April 6 thing but I'm sure it is too old. But I've never been able to get it to avoid ferries when I tell it to- if I'm going off island to the north it always wants me to take the ferry no matter what so I have to route it through Oak Harbor.

Reminds me of this friend who called one night to Fresno and said he was in Bishop, CA, so about 60 miles from Fresno, and he'd be there in an hour. Pre-GPS so luckily he didn't start on the direct route.
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 06:27 PM   #11

Trailer: ?
Or you could write away to AAA and they would do route planning for you and mail back all the appropriate state maps highlighted with your route.

Then one of the biggest challenges of traveling was getting the dammed maps refolded without too much cursing.
EdColorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 07:34 PM   #12

Yeah, I forgot about the GPS rollover. I have CoPilot installed on a Samsung Tab S tablet or something like that. It is a few years old. When I travel it is mounted in the truck with a floor mount. If CoPilot gives me sass I go to Google Maps, which I can also use because I keep a wifi hotspot in the truck when traveling (and use it at home when I'm not).

Later today I was able to get directions to a Home Depot from the campground. So maybe it is behaving again.
Old 04-10-2019, 05:22 AM   #13

Trailer: 2014 21' Escape
Hi Mike,
How do you like Seven Springs? I will be there in about 2 weeks, my youngest son lives in Nashville so decided camping and seeing him sounded like fun idea in April . I here the traffic around Nashville can be difficult, he works at a coffee shop called BOX, only 16.3 miles from campground but when I looked once said 40 minute time to go 16 miles!
Also just got my new Aqua Marina Drift paddle board so might be going on its maiden voyage while there.

Enjoy the journey.

Steve
stratos175 is offline   Reply With Quote