10 random questions about some build sheet details - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 04-21-2016, 11:16 PM   #1

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape (sold) Casita 17' (sold)
Question 10 random questions about some build sheet details

Hi all

getting very excited about our 2017 21’ that we have on order.

I have a few random questions about couple build sheet details

(I have a pretty good handle on the options, and am getting way more than the ones listed below, FWIIW)

note - we are NOT getting the u-shaped dinette. (see below)

and the dinette will nightly change into the bed for our 3rd camper.

one: we are going to get the outdoor shower. will use it for a variety of things. shower tent when boon docking. doing dishes. sandy feet.

we want it passenger side, for sure.

is just outside the bathroom a good place?

dont want to be down by the (dirty) wheels

two: going to get solar + Dual 6v.
NOT getting the u-shaped dinette

ETI said that the big battery box that holds the dual 6v would allow the batteries to be side by side, or end to end.
I didn’t quite understand this.

what are the advantages and disadvantages of side by side or end to end? I can’t even guess.

three: the ETI installed $170 CAD LED awning light strip (dimmable) does not change color.

some other 3rd party ones do change colors …. doing RED would be nice for preserving night vision when star gazing. Orange doesn’t attract bugs the same way as white….

should I maybe ask ETI to pre-wire, and just install 3rd party myself? I’m not so confident about drilling holes in the hull.

four: any suggestions on 3rd party light changing LED exterior light strips that would work under the awning?

five: ETI offers for $150 “Exterior Access Hatch - REAR drivers side” …. so that goes into the space under the bench seat there, correct?
Why on earth would I want that there? as opposed to just walking into the trailer and lifting there seat up. (?)

six: we are going to get a Counter extension just to the left of the sink…. (partially blocks door when up) - i am told it is great for when washing dishes.

Is the other logical place for another one just to the right of the stove (kitchen area) jutting into the curb side bench dinette area? When that area is a bed, might that make a nice small night table?

Note - no u-shaped dinette.

seven: going to go with NO graphics, and white belly band. Any downsides?

eight: going to go with E2 sway & WDH. Installed by ETI
ETI says it is best with the bigger trailers, and yes, I DO want a WDH & sway.
Any downsides to that particular model?

nine: ETI sells a Water Pressure Regulator for $35 CAD, yet a basic one on Amazon is $9. Isn’t that basic brass Camco one enough?

ten: going to add two additional 12v/dual USB interior outlets. I am thinking locations of 1) adjacent to stock 120v outlet, rear passenger side bench. 2) adjacent to stock 120v drivers side, above fixed bed, in overhead cabinet.

any better or worse places? I’d use them for charging USB headlamps / phones / etc.

thanks!!!

Los Angeles
Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 12:51 AM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
10 random questions about some build sheet details

There are too many different LED strips out there for me to recommend a specific one. They come in many varieties, like RGB, RGBW, and RGBWW. They also come in different grades for outdoor use, either completely encased and waterproof, or water resistant and suitable for outdoor use. They come with different controllers too, some with basic color changing and some with flash, strobe and rotating color effects. The controllers also come either with RF or IR remotes. We prefer the RF remote which doesn't have an IR sensor that you have to point at to make it work. The IR ones require you to aim toward the sensor, similar to what you do with a TV remote. The RF (radio frequency) remotes use a radio signal to control the strip, and work within a certain range regardless of where they're pointed.

There's only one tiny hole to drill, and the strip is really easy to wire if you have Escape put a 12v drop in the cabinet adjacent to where the wires come in to the overhead cabinet. I wouldn't worry about one more hole for the LED strip - Escape has to drill one too. It took a bit of comparing and researching before I settled on the strip (RGBW waterproof) and remote (RF) I wanted. Just searched on Amazon. Strip and controller with remote for under $40.

The driver side rear hatch means you can access the under bench storage from both inside and outside. Handy if you store something there that you need to retrieve without having to go in the trailer, lift the cushion and open the bench.

If you're getting dual 6v batteries, don't worry about their orientation in the battery box. Escape places them correctly. They're just saying the battery box is large enough that the batteries can be oriented either way.

We don't have the outside shower, but if we did we'd prefer it on the driver side and not the passenger - and I'm not sure that the passenger side is even an option on an Escape. Putting it on the driver side means there's no water on the ground just outside the entrance or under the awning. The entrance and under the awning is an extension of our living area, and we certainly don't want puddles there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-22-2016, 01:02 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
There are too many different LED strips out there for me to recommend a specific one. They come in many varieties, like RGB, RGBW, and RGBWW. They also come in different grades for outdoor use, either completely encased and waterproof, or water resistant and suitable for outdoor use. They come with different controllers too, some with basic color changing and some with flash, strobe and rotating color effects. The controllers also come either with RF or IR remotes. We prefer the RF remote which doesn't have to be pointed in the direction of the controller sensor - in fact, the sensor is a radio receiver in the controller. The IR ones require you to aim toward the sensor, similar to what you do with a TV remote.

There's only one tiny hole to drill, and the strip is really easy to wire if you have Escape put a 12v drop in the cabinet adjacent to where the wires come in to the overhead cabinet. I wouldn't worry about one more hole for the LED strip - Escape has to drill one too. It took a bit of comparing and researching before I settled on the strip (RGBW waterproof) and remote (RF) I wanted. Just searched on Amazon. Strip and controller with remote for under $40.

The driver side rear hatch means you can access the under bench storage from both inside and outside. Handy if you store something there that you need to retrieve without having to go in the trailer, lift the cushion and open the bench.

If you're getting dual 6v batteries, don't worry about their orientation in the battery box. Escape places them correctly. They're just saying the battery box is large enough that the batteries can be oriented either way.

We don't have the outside shower, but if we did we'd prefer it on the driver side and not the passenger - and I'm not sure that the passenger side is even an option on an Escape. Putting it on the driver side means there's no water on the ground just outside the entrance or under the awning. The entrance and under the awning is an extension of our living area, and we certainly don't want puddles there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for the good info.

and.... yes the passenger side is an option for the outdoor shower. They said that it can be installed pretty much anywhere along the sides - either side.

and.... i often find that the passenger side is more private
and also the drivers side is often much closer to a hedge / trees / the sewer connection.
Old 04-22-2016, 01:09 AM   #4
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losangeles View Post
Thanks for the good info.

and.... yes the passenger side is an option for the outdoor shower. They said that it can be installed pretty much anywhere along the sides - either side.

and.... i often find that the passenger side is more private

and also the drivers side is often much closer to a hedge / trees / the sewer connection.

I see. So, they'll put it on either side. That side is definitely more private but my concern would be with the water. Perhaps you could have it placed as far from the door as possible - toward the rear instead of the front?
Old 04-22-2016, 05:45 AM   #5

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0 TA
We are getting the shower on the passenger side for a couple of reasons:

1. That's where we spend our time. We can do a quick hand wash after s'mores or before a meal. On the drivers side with our Casita, it was hardly ever used due to the remote location.

2. With the 15' hose, it will extend to the back of the trailer off the awning mat and out of the way. So that should work fine for rinsing dogs etc.

3. If need be we can rinse the mat of spilled katsup or syrup. It happens.

But that's just us.
nathanj04011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 06:58 AM   #6

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I think that the shower on the curb side will have to be where the kitchen is located because there is an interior protrusion plus there is a water source there. The mentioned bathroom wall may not allow the install.
As fas as the lift up table I had 3 installed, 2 in dinette area and one on the nightstand side, did not do the door side as there is plenty of counter space for drying dishes.
Old 04-22-2016, 09:16 AM   #7

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Quote:
Hi all
one: we are going to get the outdoor shower. will use it for a variety of things. shower tent when boon docking. doing dishes. sandy feet.

we want it passenger side, for sure.

is just outside the bathroom a good place?

dont want to be down by the (dirty) wheels

---

five: ETI offers for $150 “Exterior Access Hatch - REAR drivers side” …. so that goes into the space under the bench seat there, correct?
Why on earth would I want that there? as opposed to just walking into the trailer and lifting there seat up. (?)

---

six: we are going to get a Counter extension just to the left of the sink…. (partially blocks door when up) - i am told it is great for when washing dishes.
We have a 19' with the external shower on the drivers side. We don't use it a lot but when we do the ground tends to get quite wet and muddy, depending on the campsite. I wouldn't want it on the passenger side.

The exterior hatch is one of the options I couldn't live without. My hatch is on the passenger side at the back which accesses to under the bed. I wish that I also had one at the front to get access under the dinette bench. Opening up the bench is more hassle then it sounds. If I had a hatch that space would get a lot more use. Without the hatch access I just store all my rarely used items under the dinette bench.

I agree, definitely go with the flip up extension by the sink. We usually use it when both of us are cooking together. it gives some more room so someone can work on the stove and the other person still has some work space to prep.
chemando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 09:25 AM   #8

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Quote:
Hi all
eight: going to go with E2 sway & WDH. Installed by ETI
ETI says it is best with the bigger trailers, and yes, I DO want a WDH & sway.
Any downsides to that particular model?

nine: ETI sells a Water Pressure Regulator for $35 CAD, yet a basic one on Amazon is $9. Isn’t that basic brass Camco one enough?

Los Angeles
Mind if I ask what your tug is? Just curious. (Never mind, found it in your profile).

Do you know what model of pressure regulator ETI sells? I just have a brass Camco and it does the job just fine!
chemando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 11:18 AM   #9

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
On a 19 the rear access hatch makes a lot of sense, on a 21 you are getting access to an area that does not have a lot of room. The amount of room depends on options you have selected, the dual 6 volt take up a lot of space, an inverter would go here, I have solar controls in this area. The front storage box is a much more viable area to carry light weight items and I believe precludes the need for a rear hatch on the 21.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 11:39 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by fudge_brownie View Post
On a 19 the rear access hatch makes a lot of sense, on a 21 you are getting access to an area that does not have a lot of room. The amount of room depends on options you have selected, the dual 6 volt take up a lot of space, an inverter would go here, I have solar controls in this area. The front storage box is a much more viable area to carry light weight items and I believe precludes the need for a rear hatch on the 21.
thanks - this is a good thought...

however i realized that I may well have an outdoor pole and high up light when camping at certain locations.... and that hatch would be an easy (not drilling a hole) way to get a wire from inside out.....

but yes - we will have dual 6v, inverter, solar, and be pre-wired for a battery monitor system.... so on a NON u-dinette, what all would be in the drivers side dinette bench?

this optional hatch is drivers side, my sleepy brain is telling me that in a 21' (non U) that the dual 6v are in the passenger side bench?

not sure.

thanks.
Old 04-22-2016, 12:04 PM   #11

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
Not sure which side they are offering the rear hatch. Perhaps both, but the driver side has the power access and resulting coiled cord, the furnace is now gone but the electrical panel still remains. I do not have surge and power protection but that could be located here? Maybe more room now that the furnace has been relocated but still of questionable value.

Something very subtle, but because of the design of the support walls and location of the refrigerator the curb side storage box is easier to get to from the inside. Now, that may be just my imagination but I gravitate to using the curb side bench storage.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 12:08 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by fudge_brownie View Post
Not sure which side they are offering the rear hatch. Perhaps both, but the driver side has the power access and resulting coiled cord, the furnace is now gone but the electrical panel still remains. I do not have surge and power protection but that could be located here? Maybe more room now that the furnace has been relocated but still of questionable value.

Something very subtle, but because of the design of the support walls and location of the refrigerator the curb side storage box is easier to get to from the inside. Now, that may be just my imagination but I gravitate to using the curb side bench storage.
The 21' 2017 build sheet clearly says "Rear Driver Side" for the optional $150 hatch. That is why I said Driver side.
Old 04-22-2016, 12:15 PM   #13

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
The 21' 2017 build sheet clearly says "Rear Driver Side" for the optional $150 hatch. That is why I said Driver side.
I wonder if that is an error, as the photo attached to that option is clearly on the curb side, where it would be a lot more usable.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 01:26 PM   #14

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Looks like you're not getting a U Dinette.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 01:28 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
Looks like you're not getting a U Dinette.
I missed that tidbit.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 04-22-2016, 04:04 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I wonder if that is an error, as the photo attached to that option is clearly on the curb side, where it would be a lot more usable.
I just had a nice chat with my sales rep at ETI.... and they looked at the website, and admitted that yes, that photo is misleading and incorrect, and they'd pass that along...

and yes the optional rear hatch on a 21' is on the drivers side.

the batteries are on the curb side dinette bench on the 21'

Old 04-22-2016, 04:07 PM   #17

Quote:
I just had a nice chat with my sales rep at ETI.... and they looked at the website, and admitted that yes, that photo is misleading and incorrect, and they'd pass that along...

and yes the optional rear hatch on a 21' is on the drivers side.

the batteries are on the curb side dinette bench on the 21'

Good job on clarifying. I keep forgetting that the 21 has the water heater under the bed, whereas the 19 and 5.0 have it in that spot, so could not have a hatch there. I am unsure of where the water heater is in the 17.
Old 04-22-2016, 04:09 PM   #18

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I think that the shower on the curb side will have to be where the kitchen is located because there is an interior protrusion plus there is a water source there. The mentioned bathroom wall may not allow the install.
As fas as the lift up table I had 3 installed, 2 in dinette area and one on the nightstand side, did not do the door side as there is plenty of counter space for drying dishes.
Just had a nice chat with my sales rep at ETI

and they said that on the 21' .... if i want to go passenger (curb) side with my outdoor shower (I do, without question) then it would NORMALLY go just over the rear wheel.... so it protrudes back into where the stove is.

It cant go further back, as that is where the batteries are, and there isn't the same access to water back there.

She said that MAYBE it could go outside the bathroom, if there is maybe space between the bathroom space and the bathroom framing.....

but now that I think about that.... any repairs / service would make me very nervous if the outdoor shower was into a spot that was far less accessible

...than behind the sink.

yes? make sense?
Old 04-22-2016, 05:40 PM   #19

Trailer: Escape 21', "Cardinals' Nest"
Quote from fudge_brownie: "The front storage box is a much more viable area to carry light weight items and I believe precludes the need for a rear hatch on the 21."

We each do things a little differently. We love the front hatch on our 21 for larger roll-up items like the under-awning carpet, folding chairs (but the hatch is too short for any but the fold-to-cylinder type), wheel chocks, Andersen levelers, ...

We also love the rear, driver's side, hatch. The limited space under the dinette bench has plenty of room for our 30 A power cord with a few adaptors, and our drinking water hose, filter, and regulator. This is closest hatch to where we will connect these items, and since we keep only these few things there, there is not much to sort through to find what we want. Mostly we boondock, which makes this storage location rarely used, but even more convenient when we do use it to find items that otherwise would be hopelessly buried behind and under other stuff.

The bulkier items: dual 6 V batteries and ETI-installed solar controller are under the passenger side dinette bench. The driver's side bench has the water pump and fuse box towards the front (if my aging memory is right? ). The rear driver's side bench, by the hatch, has most of its space available, and it is very convenient for the items listed above.
Art M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 06:13 PM   #20

(Art wrote)
We each do things a little differently. We love the front hatch on our 21 for larger roll-up items like the under-awning carpet, folding chairs (but the hatch is too short for any but the fold-to-cylinder type), wheel chocks, Andersen levelers, ...

We also love the rear, driver's side, hatch. The limited space under the dinette bench has plenty of room for our 30 A power cord with a few adaptors, and our drinking water hose, filter, and regulator. This is closest hatch to where we will connect these items, and since we keep only these few things there, there is not much to sort through to find what we want. Mostly we boondock, which makes this storage location rarely used, but even more convenient when we do use it to find items that otherwise would be hopelessly buried behind and under other stuff.

The bulkier items: dual 6 V batteries and ETI-installed solar controller are under the passenger side dinette bench. The driver's side bench has the water pump and fuse box towards the front (if my aging memory is right? ). The rear driver's side bench, by the hatch, has most of its space available, and it is very convenient for the items listed above.

this is very very useful to me Art.... I was on the fence, but your excellent info has made me decide to get the rear hatch. Great idea. Yeah.... I'll have enough (light) junk in the optional front cargo bin to make me wish i had the rear drivers side hatch into the dinette.

arriving at 11 pm, very tired, in 100 F. heat at a campsite not long ago reminds me.... whatever I can do to make setup easier is pure gold.