12 V Television for trailer - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 01-18-2016, 12:08 PM   #31

Trailer: 2016 Tacoma Off Road, 2017 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
You could use a laptop to play the movie, displaying it on the TV through an HDMI cable. If you put the movies on microSD cards, and use a tablet or phone that has a microSD slot (that is, presumably not anything from Apple), you could play the movies on the tablet/phone and display it on the TV through an HDMI cable. An alternative to an HDMI cable is a Chromecast or similar device that accepts the video from the computer/phone/tablet over WiFi and puts it into an HDMI port on the TV.

All of this assume that the TV has an HDMI port - it's hard to imagine a TV built today that wouldn't have at least one.
The Apple TV device (even the older generations that are fairly inexpensive) has an HDMI output. Most apple devices (iPads, iPods, iPhones, laptops, etc) can connect to the Apple TV using WiFi. I use one to display photographs from my laptop to the TV.

Old 01-18-2016, 01:16 PM   #32

Trailer: 2012 Escape 5.0
We bought a cheap 12 volt TV but found it frustrating. The tuner was intermittently successful finding channels. Every time we plugged it in it had to re-scan to find available channels. And we rarely camp where there a decent signals anyway, so we mostly watched DVD movies.

Now we just use our laptops, which we always bring anyway. They have built in DVD players. When we do watch live TV, which is admittedly rare, we use a USB WinTV-HVR-950Q tuner plugged into the laptop. It's less weight to carry and works well enough for us.

shrncnddck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 01:37 PM   #33

Trailer: Escape 21 'Toto'
We decided to try using a "regular" TV whose AC/DC transformer is a "brick" in the cord; that is, the TV is a DC TV (nominally 14 volts) but comes with an AC power cord that incorporates one of those bricklike transformers. I bought a 12-volt cigarette-lighter plug and cord, and added a plug I found at Radio Shack that fits the power receptacle on the TV (I can't believe how many different sizes and shapes there are of those power plugs).

The TV, found for cheap at Costco, is a 24" Samsung. So far it does just fine on the trailer's DC voltage. We don't know how long this will keep working -- I think if we're dry-camping and the battery gets a little tired the voltage might drop enough to make the TV picture go away. We'll see.
Old 01-18-2016, 03:16 PM   #34

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrncnddck View Post

Now we just use our laptops, which we always bring anyway. They have built in DVD players. When we do watch live TV, which is admittedly rare, we use a USB WinTV-HVR-950Q tuner plugged into the laptop. It's less weight to carry and works well enough for us.
Yup, I went that route also. I've stopped taking a dedicated TV and use the TV stick. Works well.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 03:52 PM   #35

Trailer: 5.0 TA #6, 2012 F150 EB
I did the stick till I made the mistake of going to windows 10. Of course it's now unsupported so I need to buy another.