12 V Television for trailer - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 01-18-2016, 12:02 AM   #21
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
We took a Samsung 22" LED and a mount with us before we picked up, and just installed them our first week out. Runs on either 12v (power brick provides around 12v from an AC source anyway) or 110v. It's about as big as you can go considering the size of the area. A 19" would have been fine. Picture quality compared to some of the "12v/RV ready" type TVs? No comparison. Much better. Extra HDMI ports too, which allows us to connect a Chromecast or a Roku stick and play whatever we like.
Old 01-18-2016, 12:31 AM   #22
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Great color and viewing angles

22" RCA 12v LED TV DVD Combo, DECK22DR RoadTrucker

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 05:16 AM   #23

Trailer: Escape 21 November 2014; 2022 GMC 1500 3.0L
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiman View Post
Be cautious with TV's not made for plug in to 12 volt. My Samsung required 14 volts and runs on the Escape 12 volt power OK with a cord I got at Radio Shack. I got all kinds of hum and had to add a bunch of filters on input, output, etc. Finally got it to work but a pain. The Insignia may be fine, but try it out soon in case it does not work out. I had a Naxa designed for 12 volt in the Casita and it worked fine. I only had it one year and it was OK for that short time. Don't know about long term durability. I steered clear of the built in DVD, figuring a separate unit to be less likely to cause problems.
I am considering running out Samsung 22inch (needs 14volt) on a small portable inverter plugged in the nearby 12v outlet for times I don't want to "run" our 1500watt inverter. Thoughts?
Bill and Earline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 06:14 AM   #24

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill and Earline View Post
I am considering running out Samsung 22inch (needs 14volt) on a small portable inverter plugged in the nearby 12v outlet for times I don't want to "run" our 1500watt inverter. Thoughts?
Hi: Bill and Earline... We picked up a 75 max./60 continuous watt plug in inverter for $9.95CD
It's enough to run the 19" Toshiba TV/DVD. We didn't get a chance to use it heading south as we were chased down by the sinking cold front and just got to Florida in time for the storm fronts to pass through. Got so much rain in Ft. Myers Beach to flood the sidewalks and parking lots.
I suggested after Church that we fill some jugs with the excess water in hopes of changing it to wine. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 06:49 AM   #25

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill and Earline View Post
Our Samsung had hum issues trying to run on 12 volt that I got rid of with filters. Running on my small inverter there was no hum. I was hard headed about running it on 12 volt and finally got the hum down with a bunch of filters. Anyway, on the inverter it should be fine.

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 07:06 AM   #26

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Although the AC adapter says 14V DC our Samsung works fine on 12+V.

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f2...sion-4047.html
jamman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 08:07 AM   #27

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19
I'm using a 22" Skyworth with a built in dvd player; built for trucks and 12v.

Nothing special; but it does the job camping. We rarely camp in places where cable or reception is an option. We use it for evenings where sitting around a campfire would be too cold or wet.
sturski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 08:49 AM   #28

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
Sure, I'll cheerfully take the opportunity to rant. ...

As always, I feel better after a good rant.
Always happy to give you the opportunity to rant. It is good for the soul. Thanks for the info. our tv uses a wall mount so that might be part of the reason we haven't had issues. Or maybe we have just been lucky. Then too, we only have about 100 nights in the trailer.
Old 01-18-2016, 08:58 AM   #29

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
We didn't get a chance to use it heading south as we were chased down by the sinking cold front and just got to Florida in time for the storm fronts to pass through. Got so much rain in Ft. Myers Beach to flood the sidewalks and parking lots.
I suggested after Church that we fill some jugs with the excess water in hopes of changing it to wine. Alf
Alf, were you in time for the tornadoes?
Old 01-18-2016, 10:44 AM   #30

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Alf, were you in time for the tornadoes?
Hi: padlin... Yepper, but we only made the "Blow dry cycle" Alf
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 11:08 AM   #31

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
You could use a laptop to play the movie, displaying it on the TV through an HDMI cable. If you put the movies on microSD cards, and use a tablet or phone that has a microSD slot (that is, presumably not anything from Apple), you could play the movies on the tablet/phone and display it on the TV through an HDMI cable. An alternative to an HDMI cable is a Chromecast or similar device that accepts the video from the computer/phone/tablet over WiFi and puts it into an HDMI port on the TV.

All of this assume that the TV has an HDMI port - it's hard to imagine a TV built today that wouldn't have at least one.
The Apple TV device (even the older generations that are fairly inexpensive) has an HDMI output. Most apple devices (iPads, iPods, iPhones, laptops, etc) can connect to the Apple TV using WiFi. I use one to display photographs from my laptop to the TV.
Old 01-18-2016, 12:16 PM   #32

Trailer: 2012 Escape 5.0
We bought a cheap 12 volt TV but found it frustrating. The tuner was intermittently successful finding channels. Every time we plugged it in it had to re-scan to find available channels. And we rarely camp where there a decent signals anyway, so we mostly watched DVD movies.

Now we just use our laptops, which we always bring anyway. They have built in DVD players. When we do watch live TV, which is admittedly rare, we use a USB WinTV-HVR-950Q tuner plugged into the laptop. It's less weight to carry and works well enough for us.
shrncnddck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 12:37 PM   #33

Trailer: Escape 21 'Toto'
We decided to try using a "regular" TV whose AC/DC transformer is a "brick" in the cord; that is, the TV is a DC TV (nominally 14 volts) but comes with an AC power cord that incorporates one of those bricklike transformers. I bought a 12-volt cigarette-lighter plug and cord, and added a plug I found at Radio Shack that fits the power receptacle on the TV (I can't believe how many different sizes and shapes there are of those power plugs).

The TV, found for cheap at Costco, is a 24" Samsung. So far it does just fine on the trailer's DC voltage. We don't know how long this will keep working -- I think if we're dry-camping and the battery gets a little tired the voltage might drop enough to make the TV picture go away. We'll see.
Old 01-18-2016, 02:16 PM   #34

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrncnddck View Post

Now we just use our laptops, which we always bring anyway. They have built in DVD players. When we do watch live TV, which is admittedly rare, we use a USB WinTV-HVR-950Q tuner plugged into the laptop. It's less weight to carry and works well enough for us.
Yup, I went that route also. I've stopped taking a dedicated TV and use the TV stick. Works well.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 02:52 PM   #35

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I did the stick till I made the mistake of going to windows 10. Of course it's now unsupported so I need to buy another.