1500 w inverter - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-28-2015, 08:43 PM   #1

Trailer: 2016 21 ft escape
1500 w inverter

we are stating our build sheet and was wondering the pros and cons of the 1500 watt inverter if we really need it. we do not watch TV, or use automatic coffee pots, allways use a stove top purculator, nice and simple. the inverter is a good chunk of change and thought I might want to put that money towards the solar panel so as to keep the batt. charged when boondocking. any advice would be helpful. thanks
Jake930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 08:56 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I have a couple cheap inverters that I use for charging my Mac, iPhone, ipad etc. with 120V chargers. One is 100 watts and the other is 75 watts ( $12.99 on sale ). They work.
If you're not running an electric waffle maker, coffee maker or hair dryer, that should be sufficient.
You might want to add a couple 12V outlets where you will use them.
Old 08-28-2015, 08:56 PM   #3

Trailer: 2013, 17B 'Mini Pearl' and a 2010 Highlander
We have been camping for over 20 years and have never needed anything more than the 75 watt inverter that I have that plugs into a cigarette lighter.
To charge my electric shaver every three days or so.
We don't bother with TV's or microwaves or stuff either.
We have however had many solar panels, each one more powerful than the last.
'off the grid' in the summer we had no problems with a 50 watt panel. In the off season we have run into problems because the heater draws so much power.
Our 17B has the 150 watt roof mount and the two 6 volt batteries but I can't tell you the off season performance yet.
We just got it a month or so ago.
But I already know, from what I've seen, the solar panel is a winner.
I used to sit and sweat but now I can run the maxi fan all day and there is no effect on the batteries.
Old 08-28-2015, 08:56 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape 21 November 2014; 2022 GMC 1500 3.0L
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake930 View Post
we are stating our build sheet and was wondering the pros and cons of the 1500 watt inverter if we really need it. we do not watch TV, or use automatic coffee pots, allways use a stove top purculator, nice and simple. the inverter is a good chunk of change and thought I might want to put that money towards the solar panel so as to keep the batt. charged when boondocking. any advice would be helpful. thanks
The inverter is definitely a luxury and not a necessity. We use it ocassionally for TV or microwave, which you said you wouldn't, and usually if you're boondocking, there's not much TV to see. Our 22 inch Samsung could probably run on 12v anyway. If its a choice between the inverter and the solar, get the solar for sure. If you don't get the inverter, you'll probably want an extra 12v outlet or two. We've been fine with just our one, but others will urge more.
Bill and Earline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 09:01 PM   #5

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
If the choice is between the solar or inverter, definitely would be the solar. The two six volts would be next on my list. We didn't get the inverter as we've boondocked for years and use all 12v. Like you I got a glass top percolator years ago and like the coffee much better, even use it now when on utilities. Lots of inverter fans here, but for us it would be wasted $$.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 09:06 PM   #6
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
I'm a 'fan' of an inverter if you have a purpose for it. Not a fan if it's money better spent elsewhere.
Old 08-28-2015, 09:28 PM   #7

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
I was an early adopter of both inverters and solar panels in the 80's. You wouldn't believe the cost for so little output They've sure come a long way.

First of all, to compare apples and apples, if the choice is paying ETI's price for each then it would be a no brainer for me. Solar would be used so much more.

However it doesn't have to be that choice. I have a 1500 watt inverter that I installed myself. It was about a $150 and we use it for very occasional microwave use and other odds and ends like a vacuum. It's one of those things that you might not use much but when you want it it's nice to have and at that price not a biggie.

So you do have other options.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 09:31 PM   #8

Trailer: 2016 19 / Toyota 4Runner 2019
Inverter + hair dryer + partner = more camping

No brainer for me but everyone has their own circumstances
Old 08-28-2015, 09:57 PM   #9

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Bonus to living in AZ Hugh, no need for hair dryers.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 10:07 PM   #10

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
Like a lot of things we ordered on the trailer, it was a case of better to have and not need than need and not have. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 05:16 AM   #11

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Similar situation to the last few comments. My wife asked for very little in the trailer. when she asked if she could have a microwave & also be able to use her hair dryer on low heat, she got it! Also can't wait to turn on the blender in the generator free section of the campground.
Old 08-29-2015, 05:47 AM   #12

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Jake
You sound pretty similar to us. We don't need to have 120vac when traveling so we passed on the inverter. We have and use the microwave when we have hookups, the stove top works fine the rest of the time. Don't have a TV so no need there.

We do have occasion to recharge the laptop, cordless vac and drill, a small portable inverter works for them when needed.

I may add one to give my wife the hair dryer, but then I'd want even more solar so it's a slippery slope. Adding one later is no big deal unless you want the whole house xfer switch. We'll see how it goes this fall when we travel for a couple months.

Might have more need for 120vac when we start to snowbird this winter. From the looks of it all the state parks I'll be at in FL have hookups so no problem yet.

So from what you've said, I'd suggest you hold off on an inverter. If you are somewhat handy you can add it later, if needed.
Old 08-29-2015, 08:39 AM   #13

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
If you have any thoughts about wanting a large inverter, it is probably easier & cheaper to have it installed during the build that adding it afterwards. I added a 1000 watt inverter to my 17B, and since the original wiring was #10, had to redo the wiring from the batteries & the cross over wire between the batteries, going to the inverter manufacturer's recommended #0 wire. Not all that difficult, but you either need to have the cables made for you or have the tools necessary to crimp connectors, drill new holes in the trailer floor, find a place to mount the inverter, and deal with adding either a transfer switch or additional receptacles, etc.

By the way, the only reason I added it was to make a pot of drip coffee each morning. Silly, but I like to putter around the trailer with modifications & additions.
Old 08-29-2015, 09:42 AM   #14

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
As a side note.

When using one of the small portable inverters that plug into a lighter socket, you are limited by the 15A fuse to 180 watts, I think... You can buy them up to at least 1000W, but it's a waste. The fans are also fairly noisy for how little they are.
Old 08-29-2015, 12:11 PM   #15

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
If you have any thoughts about wanting a large inverter, it is probably easier & cheaper to have it installed during the build that adding it afterwards.
I think that it's somewhat model dependent. On the 19, with the battery on the tongue and space for the inverter just inside it's really easy to add the inverter. Not a very long cable run and in my case I just used stock battery cables from Canadian Tire.

At the simplest level, hook up two cables and you're done. Use the receptacles on the inverter as your 110 source.

A step up is hooking up the microwave circuit also. Not a biggie but you do have to add a switch to isolate the two 110 sources. In my case a simple two pole switch does the job.

Or you can pay the big bucks for the ETI set-up.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
09-11-2014 4-25-51 PM1_resize.jpg  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 09:34 PM   #16

Trailer: 2016 - Escape 19 (2nd Gen), 2021 F150 Powerboost
We did the small 600w inverter as a compromise and wished we did the bigger one because it has a remote on/off switch. Right now our inverter is powering a few items in our house. A big windstorm took out our power today so I ran an extension cord out to the trailer to steal some. Plugged in our router and a few tablets. At least we got netflix
davescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 09:52 PM   #17

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Some of us don't need a hair dryer regardless of where we are camped. Only thing I've used a hair dryer for in the last 20 years has been
to dry touch up paint!
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 07:50 PM   #18

Trailer: 2016 21 ft escape
1500 w converter

Thank you all for all your comments and help. and it was a great help! This inverter thing was driving me nuts. Any ways it's out with the inverter and going with the solar panel and dual batteries with 3 extra 12 v plugs. We only need an inverter to charge a laptop and IPad so will buy a smaller plug in one for that purpose. Thanks everyone.
Jake930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 07:59 PM   #19

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake930 View Post
We only need an inverter to charge a laptop and IPad so will buy a smaller plug in one for that purpose.
I know there are several people who say one can't have too many 12V plugs but with only a laptop and an IPad to charge, why would you need a total of four plugs? I have two and that's one too many.
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 08:01 PM   #20

Trailer: 2014 17B;2012 Nissan Frontier SV 4
We live in the lower mainland and just experienced about a day without any power.

We were disparate for fresh ground coffee beans so used the little 90 watt inverter Liz had bought on a whim in our little Escape parked in the driveway. The coffee grinder worked fine.

We plan to use the inverter to charge our MacBook Pro when we are on the road. (Of course we have misgivings about traveling with an expensive laptop that could be stolen.).

It was great having the inverter!
LarryandLiz is offline   Reply With Quote