17A choices and why - Page 6 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 11-25-2014, 04:12 PM   #51

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A - "The Pullman"
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Mac View Post
On the ETI web site it appears that there is a single bed (or a 2 person dinette) at the front end of the trailer and a double bed (or a 4 person dinette?) in the rear of the trailer. How are you going to have sleeping space for 4 grown people? I must have missed something.
There are two drawings on the ETI/17/layouts tab.
The top one is plan A, and has a 52" x 76" bed on the right (front of trailer). On the left (rear) is a "four person dinette or double bed".
The bottom drawing is plan B, the layout you describe.
Hope this helps.

edit: I wonder if the screen views differently, and incompletely, if you are using a mobile device?

dfandrews is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 04:18 PM   #52

Trailer: 2015 17B Sold 5/2016
You could check with ETI to find out if they would install a grey water tank on your 17A. When I first started looking I asked about installing one on a 15A and they would at a price of $600.

2012 4Runner
OneOleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 04:23 PM   #53

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfandrews View Post
In my experience, any campground that has a black water dump station will accept grey water as well.
I agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave&Kathie View Post
Also, Brian, as you get older I don't think the wheels are that helpful. Water is heavy!!!
If you plan to lift the tote to dump it in a sink or something like that, wheels won't help with the weight of the water, but if you drag it to the same dump station that you would use with a built-in tank, there's never any need to lift it while it is filled. Maybe tilt it, but that depends on tote design. There's no way around bending down, as that would be required even with a built-in tank and sewer hose.

I'm not planning on a trailer without a grey waste tank, but I do think it is quite manageable (even for someone who can't lift much), as long as one is willing to carry and use an appropriate tote.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 05:48 PM   #54

battery frame mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
Lastly, if there is any chance that you will wish to change to a pair of 6V batteries, it requires a frame modification which is quite expensive to retrofit.
Jon,
By any chance, can you describe the frame mods. The standard battery on the 17A is on the rear. I was given to understand that dual 6V batteries would be located similarly, one on each side. Each battery should weigh about 60-65 lbs., and the frame is 1x3x.1875 wall steel tube, as are the cross members. That's a healthy cross-section (about 5 lb/ft. of steel). And the bike-ready receiver that spans the cross-members is given a rating of 150 lb. So, I'm missing something here

Don
Old 11-25-2014, 05:54 PM   #55

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
Not sure what's involved, but I too was given to understand that converting to twin six-volts was too involved and too expensive to make it desirable.
I'm sticking with my 12V even though I'm due for a new battery soon.

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 06:52 PM   #56

Quote:
The standard battery on the 17A is on the rear. I was given to understand that dual 6V batteries would be located similarly, one on each side. Each battery should weigh about 60-65 lbs., and the frame is 1x3x.1875 wall steel tube, as are the cross members. That's a healthy cross-section (about 5 lb/ft. of steel). And the bike-ready receiver that spans the cross-members is given a rating of 150 lb. So, I'm missing something here
Don, I think all you're missing is:
  1. the supports from bumper to crossmember will only be in place for one battery unless the dual-battery option is ordered (adding them later would mean welding adjacent to the fiberglass body and re-finishing the weld areas); and,
  2. the spare tire location will likely be off-centre with one battery (for access and balance), but needs to be centred with two batteries.
If I were expecting to have dual batteries later, but only wanted one for now (due to weight and/or cost), I would ask about having the frame and brackets prepared for two, but with only one battery, one battery box, and only single-battery wiring.

Maybe I've missed something?

Also, it probably doesn't change anything about conversion to dual batteries, but are the crossmembers really the same rectangular tubing as the frame and bumper? The crossmembers I've seen are generally angle or z-section, but maybe this one ahead of the bumper for battery support and bike rack prep is the exception.
Old 11-25-2014, 07:05 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Not sure what's involved, but I too was given to understand that converting to twin six-volts was too involved and too expensive to make it desirable.
I'm sticking with my 12V even though I'm due for a new battery soon.
Just go for a lithium (LiFePO4) battery for more capacity in the same bracket with no conversion required. Oops... that thousand-dollar battery would be too expensive, too.
Old 11-25-2014, 08:48 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Don, I think all you're missing is...

Yup, looks like I need to discuss this w/ETI.

Thanks much, Jon, and Brian and Glenn.

Don
Old 11-25-2014, 09:46 PM   #59

Trailer: 2016 Tacoma Off Road, 2017 21
Quote:
Jon,
By any chance, can you describe the frame mods. The standard battery on the 17A is on the rear. I was given to understand that dual 6V batteries would be located similarly, one on each side. Each battery should weigh about 60-65 lbs., and the frame is 1x3x.1875 wall steel tube, as are the cross members. That's a healthy cross-section (about 5 lb/ft. of steel). And the bike-ready receiver that spans the cross-members is given a rating of 150 lb. So, I'm missing something here

Don
Like Glenn, I don't know exactly what the difference is between the one 12V & two 6v batteries is, but when I purchased my 2011 17B, I was told that I had to decide which battery set I wanted & that it couldn't (without a great deal of expense) be changed after the build
Old 11-25-2014, 10:23 PM   #60
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Just my opinion, but from a manufacturing engineering point of view it seems kinda goofy to deal with 2 different frame set ups just because of a difference in batteries.......configuration control can get expensive real quick!

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote