17A Paperwork done; waiting started - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 07-10-2019, 04:26 PM   #1

Trailer: 2011 Escape 15A
17A Paperwork done; waiting started

We just sent the Build Sheet for a 17A to Escape, and are very enthused about it.
As current owners of a 19B, we discovered several things:

- We greatly prefer the Escape over the Casitas that we owned prior to it
- We have never used the water heater
- We used the bathroom primarily for storage, and will get by with a portable toilet just fine
- We look forward to no 'stinky slinky' although, of course, the portable toilet procedures are necessary
- We camped in low temperatures, and look forward to thermal windows, added insulation and no black tank antifreeze needed in the cold weather
- Our driveway better accommodates at 17 footer

Escape had a promotional $2,000 CDN discount, and we lept on it. Our build date is October 7.

Our options:

4 cu ft fridge
Dual 6V batteries
Removable power cord
Additional brake lights
Air conditioner and heat strip
Extra insulation and frame-less windows
Power tongue jack
Driver's side access hatch
Propane quick connect
Spray foam insulation underneath
Storage box on front of trailer

2 Additional USB outlets
4 captain's reading lamps
Reinforced wall on each side of the refrigerator
Custom fabric, full wrap cushions - picture is attached
White belly band
Light Ash Gray #825 graphics, the number "17" removed from all graphics
Two filled propane tanks
Step cover

$ 26,150 Base price
$ 32,584 Base + options
$ (2,000) discount for an October build date
$ 200 Import fee
$ 250 Tariff surcharge
$ 12 Tire Levee
$ 31,046 Total CDN (Approximately $23,594.96 US at $0.76 per US dollar)

We opted for the maple cabinetry, and are very enthused about the counter and floor colors. Our upholstery is from JT's Outdoor Fabrics in Canada; at a good price and shipped directly to ETI.

We have always enjoyed learning about how these trailers are built through the posted build pictures - and we will send build pictures as they come along - it is now 12.5 weeks to completion. It won't be done in time for this year's Niagara rally, but next year we will bring it. We will feel at home with the Escapes, Bolers, Trilliums and others there.

Our 2010 Escape 19 will go on sale in mid-September.

Best regards to all,

David & Jon
Pittsburgh PA
Attached Thumbnails
Erica - Earthen fabric.JPG  
DavidGlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 04:30 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Very interesting, I assume you always have hookups? If not, what about solar?
Old 07-10-2019, 04:35 PM   #3

Thanks for the question - We are planning on solar. We currently have a suitcase setup and prefer to move the solar into the sun, if the trailer is in the shade. Therefore, we decided not to have ETI install the rooftop panel and we will install solar after market.
Old 07-10-2019, 04:45 PM   #4

Build Sheet

For those interested...

David
Attached Thumbnails
Slide1.JPG   Slide2.JPG  
Old 07-10-2019, 06:17 PM   #5

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
Welcome to the 17A club!
Old 07-10-2019, 06:42 PM   #6

Thank you for your reply. It does seem like quite a subgroup within the Escape community. I look forward to more encounters with the 'minimalists' of the 17A (and 15A and 13) Escape community.
Old 07-10-2019, 07:21 PM   #7

Questions about our choices

I received questions in a PM about our choices, here is our thinking:

Re: Questions on Build Sheet
Hi and welcome. To answer your questions:

1. What do you see as the advantages in the removable power cord?
Our 19 has a tuck-in cord. We created a separate chamber under the bed for the cord. The removable cord does not get tangled under the bed, does not allow ants or mice into the trailer, is not an issue in cold weather for hard-to-insert into the trailer, and we have ordered the front storage bin behind the propane tanks in which to store it. Either cord must be wiped off before storage, but perhaps less so with the detachable.

2. The power tongue jack?
We have been using our power jack with our 19. It is invaluable for dealing with the weight distribution hitch, my husband loves it. That said, we have a backup manual jack, because if the power fails, the power jack is a pain to use because of the gear ratios and the small crank that comes with it. A bottle jack could help in such situations, too.

3. Where did you place the two USB outlets? We put one additional on the opposite side of the table and one near the front, shallow shelf.

4. The 4 Captain's reading lamps? Two at the head of the bed, two at the far corners of the table. We like the ability to direct them, and not the glare of the general lights across from each other when eating.

5. How did the Maple cabinetry differ from the Oak?
The countertop and floor with the maple are slate, and the doors have frosted glass/plexiglass inserts. We like the look. The oak is brown, the slate tends to grays.
Attached Thumbnails
Anderson 17A Features 07 10 2019.JPG  
Old 07-10-2019, 11:27 PM   #8

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
Your fabric is beautiful...muted, and won't show the inevitable splotches.

After owning a previous trailer with a push in/out cord, and one with a detachable, I chose detachable like you did. I used to wipe them off....but I got some big vinyl shopping bags at, I think, Camping world....One for the detachable cord that then goes in the storage bin, one for the hose, and one for an extra hose. I may also have one for an extra extension cord. Unless they are muddy, they just tuck in to the bag, I tie the handles, and done.

I have an electrical outlet above the stove above the battery/water etc monitor. I have a couple of appliances that I use when I have hookup and I didn't want cords winding around the counters.

Love that power tongue jack, for the same reason as you do. And hatches, driver side front and passenger side rear.

I am so grateful that Escape allows customization in so many ways. I had to do my build in a hurry to get the pick up date I wanted, but there's nothing that I regret omitting, and nothing I regret getting. I look forward to pictures of your traveling home.
Old 07-11-2019, 03:59 AM   #9

"I am so grateful that Escape allows customization in so many ways."

I agree completely. And some advice: read each version of the Build Sheet completely. Mistakes can happen; and we discussed our choices with the sales representative; and we removed a few items. We received 3 versions before everything was in place and we signed version 3.