17A pictures or video? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 03-02-2013, 05:26 PM   #1

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
17A pictures or video?

The wife and I are still arguing the pros and cons of the 19 vs. the 17A.

Is anybody aware of pictures or video of the 17A interior (aside from those on the Escape web site, of course)?

Tammy gave me a local reference for a 17A owner, but the number doesn't seem to work any longer. The next closest one is 3 hours drive away.

I guess that's an alternate question: does anybody know of a 17A near Ottawa that would be available for viewing?

Thanks.

2013 Escape 19 ("The Dog House") , 2018 Ford F150
dbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 10:06 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
According to the map here
https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid...4&source=embed
there are at least 3 X 17's within a couple of hours of you
Old 03-02-2013, 10:40 PM   #3

All 17Bs unfortunately... There is apparently one in Ottawa (the number that no longer works) and one on the far side of Montreal (3 hours or so away, plus a language barrier).

Old 03-03-2013, 12:41 AM   #4

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
What's the problem? Just get a 19'.
Old 03-03-2013, 07:58 AM   #5

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
If you have seen one Escape, and are satisfied with the build quality, then seeing the other models, though nice, I feel is not that necessary. You will already know what all it has built in, the quality of the components, the layout, sizes of counters & beds, etc.

I had never seen the inside of an Escape when I put my deposit down on a 19. The 19 was not even in production at the time, so there were not even pictures to go by. I went by the opinions expressed by existing owners, and a conversation with Reace.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 09:34 AM   #6

We were set on the 19 up until we started questioning the tow vehicle. When we expanded our tow vehicle search, we considered whether or not we could get by with a 17. We decided we could, and that in many respects it was actually preferable. Even though we're now leaning towards a tow vehicle that can pull a 19, we've still left ourselves with the question: 17A or 19?

We've been in a 19, so have a feel for it. And I could be happy with one. But we don't need to decide this month, so I've got time to contemplate the alternatives. Have I said before that I like to do a thorough analysis when I can?

For anyone interested, here's my list of advantages for the different trailers (YMMV):

19 advantages
  • 19 has full-sized queen bed (both wider and longer than 17)
  • 19 has bathroom
  • 19 has potential for larger fridge
  • 19 has more counter space (confirm this!)
  • 19 has more head room (6'5" vs 6'2")
  • 19 has more overhead cabinets
  • 19 has dual propane tanks
17A advantages
  • 17 has slightly wider 2nd dinette (44" vs 49")
  • 17 dinette is more accessible (not blocked by bath/shower closet)
  • 17 is narrower and shorter, therefore lower tow drag and easier to park
  • 17 is $3590 less expensive (-$4000 base price, -$200 for insulation, +$600 for hot water tank & external shower, -$150 for external shower, +$160 for porta-potty)
  • 17 weighs less
  • 19 has bed in rear, 17 has bed in front

None of those advantages are enough to seal the deal. The queen-sized bed in the 19 is a big advantage, but the simplicity of going without grey and black tanks is a big counter balance (I like simple systems!).

I guess the short answer is: either would do fine, but this gives me something to worry over up until we actually place the order.

Old 03-03-2013, 09:34 AM   #7

Trailer: Escape 19 February 2014
I know it works for some people to not see the inside before buying, but for us in our particular situation it has made a real difference. We were coming from a 31 foot Airstream down to a 19 foot and that is quite a change -- When I walked into the 19 it was a shock -- size wise -- and I needed to process the downsizing. Then we went to see the 5.0 because I thought that the space inside would feel larger, and I was correct, except that when I tried out the bed I realized that it just wouldn't work for me to be so close to the ceiling. My husband could have gone either way, so he was deferring to me.

In order to see the 5.0 we had to travel 8 hours to Virginia, stay over night, etc. It was quite the schlep and logistically challenging to figure out times when we were available and the 5.0 owners were available, but it was really worth it.

So then we had to think, and we knew we wanted a smaller trailer -- everything is so much easier with a smaller trailer -- and I had to think it through. When I read on the forum that I could switch the stove and the sink, I immediately realized that had been the problem with the 19 -- I didn't want to be cooking directly adjacent to the bed. Everything else about the 19 -- the kitchen being on the passenger side -- the size of the bed -- the windows -- was what we wanted and I could get used to the size as long as I had space on either side of me when I cooked inside.

So we haven't ordered yet, but now we know we want the 19 and I think that for us seeing it was a major part of the process. Now we have to figure out the tow vehicle (and recent threads have been very helpful) and the timing.

Originally we were car campers who kind of laughed at people in trailers and motor homes who "think they are camping." After an epic three and a half months in a tent with a five and a two year old, I told my husband, "I want a trailer!!" We didn't actually want something so large, but it was a great deal and eventually we had five kids so the room was nice. Now I want to go back to cooking outside most of the time but having somewhere comfortable to sleep and be when it rains.

Long story to say -- do whatever you can to see the 17A.
Ruthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 11:03 AM   #8

Thanks Ruthe.

The wife and I are coming from a car camping background. We've pulled a tent trailer for the last few years, but we have no kitchen in it, and it basically only gets used for sleeping. The longest we've been on the road with it was a 3 week trip to Yellowstone.

For us, the question is how will the space feel when we are confined to it? We're looking ahead to retirement years, when I hope we'll be on the road for months at a time. Between now and then, I hope to do more 3+ week trips. And I'm trying to get it right the first time, which is always hard since by definition you lack experience.

Your comment on the 5th wheel is interesting. We looked at one, at the same time we saw the 19 (side-by-side, in fact). We felt the 19 was more open. When you're standing in the kitchen area of the 5.0, it felt closed in. I think because the bed area doesn't provide as much air space or window space.

At this point I'd consider the 5.0, but the wife says no -- it feels too small for her. It's also her that is concerned about the smaller size of the 17 feeling too closed in. Given that up until now we've always done all our living outside the trailer I expect that will, for the most part, continue; so I'm less concerned about the feel of the smaller space. I'm more concerned about storage...

Old 03-03-2013, 11:17 AM   #9

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
dbailey,
one day you will stop with the comparisons.
Lets have a show of hands, "Who thinks that will happen in dbailey's lifetime?" :
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 11:38 AM   #10

Ya gotta understand... I actually *enjoy* this process... (better than workin', anyways...)

Old 03-03-2013, 11:56 AM   #11

As to the original topic: I take it nobody knows of a 17A available for viewing, or of pictures?

Looking at available images and posts, I get the impression that the A-variant of the 17 is pretty rare. I guess most people who pass on a bathroom go for the 15A.

Old 03-03-2013, 12:09 PM   #12

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Mac View Post
dbailey,
one day you will stop with the comparisons.
Lets have a show of hands, "Who thinks that will happen in dbailey's lifetime?" :
I am beginning to wonder.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 12:26 PM   #13

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
And, then there will be the naming rights.
Old 03-03-2013, 01:49 PM   #14

Trailer: Escape 19 February 2014
It really is a process -- not only are we taking up trailer life again, but we're getting ready to sell the second home that we bought when number five child was born and we put our trailer on cinder blocks. As beautiful as it is, it started to feel like a ball and chain -- more responsibility, less traveling --more possessions!! I am a minimalist who told my mother I'd never be a slave to my material possessions and here I am with TWO houses and all that goes with them. But I've needed to take the time to make sure that the trailer and the options we select will be right for us.
Ruthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:46 AM   #15

Trailer: 21 ft November 17th
Doug , obviously just our opinions but, we never really considered a 17 ft, we were able to view a 19 ft in our area and once we saw it we were happy that it was the one. However when we were picking up our 19 ft at the factory we looked through all of the models there, I believe there were both the 17 ft models and although they do have some really nice points we were very happy with our choice, the same feeling for the 5.0, the lack of space above ones head while sleeping just doesn't work for me. I found the 17 ft tight and not open enough for me. Its interesting that I am less clausrophobic in our 19 than in our old 25 ft trailer.
dave macrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 03:18 PM   #16

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
If you have seen a 17', I wouldn't worry about seeing a 19' and ordering one sight unseen, assuming the TV is no problem. Many have done just that, in fact, some never even saw an Escape beforehand.

If you have seen a 19', however, I would not go the other way and order a 17' without seeing it. I would say that you would need to see if the 17' is big enough for you.

Seeing a 5.0, of course, is another deal altogether.

One of the main considerations on the 19' for many is the tandem axle which allows you to go down the road miles from where you might have a tire blow out to have it fixed in a safer place. Others don't want to pay for the upkeep of more wheels or tires.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 07:01 AM   #17

Trailer: 1976 Trillium
Hey Doug. Did you ever buy the 17a? I’m also looking for pictures. I tried to send you a PM. Not sure if it worked.
Treeax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 10:14 AM   #18

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treeax View Post
Hey Doug. Did you ever buy the 17a? I’m also looking for pictures. I tried to send you a PM. Not sure if it worked.
This is a classic 17A, but things should be very similar with the new molds:
Escape Trailer Owners Community - dfandrews's Albums
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 07:54 PM   #19

Trailer: 2018 17A
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbailey View Post
The wife and I are still arguing the pros and cons of the 19 vs. the 17A.

Is anybody aware of pictures or video of the 17A interior (aside from those on the Escape web site, of course)?

Tammy gave me a local reference for a 17A owner, but the number doesn't seem to work any longer. The next closest one is 3 hours drive away.

I guess that's an alternate question: does anybody know of a 17A near Ottawa that would be available for viewing?

Thanks.
Hi. We are taking delivery of a 17A on Feb 13th. I would be happy to send you a video after delivery. Do you have particular areas of interest? Incidentally, I have just posted a string of build photos of the 17A under the thread heading of "New build pictures".
The trailer will live in Seattle, WA. Hope this helps.
noblets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 08:41 PM   #20

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by noblets View Post
Incidentally, I have just posted a string of build photos of the 17A under the thread heading of "New build pictures".
For easy reference...
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f1...res-12111.html
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote