17B front dinette bed and gaucho bunk - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-03-2013, 07:35 PM   #1

Trailer: 19'
17B front dinette bed and gaucho bunk

Hi, for those of you with experience with the gaucho bunk in the 17B, what do you think? Comfortable? Usable? I assume it's dimensions are similar to the lower bed, around 30 X 77, is that true? Any drawbacks? Child only? Adults fit?

It seems like the lower bed's dimensions are good enough for an adult - true?

We need 3 separate sleeping spots, for up to 4 people. We don't like the side/side configuration of the 19' where one person climbs over the other. There's no cot option for the 21'. The 17B might work for us depending on how functional the front dinette and gaucho bunk are.

Thanks a lot! j
jamie beers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 07:59 PM   #2

Trailer: 2022 Coachmen Nova 20C
The gaucho bunks are great - it's easy to tell designer has kids. The top bunk sets up to the same size as the bottom and has steel supports and a 200# rating.

The trouble with it for us was when folded down it reduces the size of the front dinette table and seats. We wanted to keep the rear table set up as a bed and use the front. I just removed the top bunk and left it home.

If you're planning to seat more than two, you will be setting up the rear table anyway, so it should work fine.

I can post some pictures when I get back to my computer if you like.
paulw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 08:40 PM   #3

Trailer: 2006 17b Goucho
Yep, what they said. I like sleeping on the lower bunk, nice and cozy but a bit of a wiggle to get into. We always keep the bunk bed up.
Thane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 11:40 PM   #4

Trailer: 2009 17B - Escape Pod
I'm 5'11" and find the bottom bunk ok, but the top a bit of a squeeze and awkward to get into or out of, due to the cabinets above your head. Our kids use the bunks no problem, but we have had to switch on occasion due to bad dreams, etc. The bunks work, but are not ideal for tall adults. Of course for a true minimalist, they are fine!
ddevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 11:57 PM   #5

Trailer: 2008 Bigfoot 25B17.5G
I can't speak to the upper bunk because we don't have one, but the lower bunk is perfectly fine for both a taller adult and a rounder one
Old 10-04-2013, 12:27 AM   #6

Trailer: 19'
Thanks very, very much everyone for your responses. paulw, if you have the opportunity to post some pictures that would be great!

This discussion has brought a new question into my mind. If you have the gaucho bunk, can you use only the bottom bunk? What I'm wondering is: if the gaucho bunk is not "deployed", is some part of it folded down in such a way that it encroaches on the bottom bunk? paulw you mentioned that the size of the dinette table area is reduced if the gaucho bunk is folded down, so I assume the size of the lower bunk would be reduced as well, but I wanted to explicitly ask.

Thanks! j
jamie beers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 06:10 AM   #7

Trailer: 2014 5TA/ *012 17B (previous)
We have the gaucho bunks, and we had two adults with us in Florida for 10 days. The bunks worked, and as someone said the bottom one worked well, but because of the bathroom and the closet cupboard, it is a bit of a wiggle. You would need to raise the back of the coach in order for an adult to be comfortable on the bottom.Our adult friend on the top seemed to make out OK, also I know the cushions were a bit stiff, as they are with all of them. I believe they are more suited for kids/younger people. As for the dinette, I asked Tammy that question and this was her response "You loose about three inches from the table and as elbow room when you are sitting in the two person dinette". One other thing to remember, is that you can use it as a coach, we use it that way and sit end for end with our backs against the side of the trailer and our legs up on the cushions. It's also good for two people to sit on and the other two on either stools or the bed- that way you can face each other. I think it's also good for resale, it would be perfect for a couple with kids.
'Have No Regrets'
Chapitre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 08:25 AM   #8

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Anyone able to post pictures of the gaucho bunk up and down?

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 09:41 AM   #9

Trailer: 2022 Coachmen Nova 20C
Here are pictures I took of our 17B before we sold it.
It reduced the elbow room more than 3", but the gaucho bunk was retrofitted at Escape in 2010 for a previous owner. The current design may be different.
Note: The front cabinet -full height/half depth - was a custom design for the original owner.
Attached Thumbnails
bunkdown1.JPG   bunkup1.JPG   dinette1.JPG   dinette2.JPG  
paulw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 12:39 PM   #10

Trailer: 2014 17b/ 2012 Chevy Colorado
Can someone tell me the height of the lower bed? I can't find anything in the specs.
Thanks.
yardsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 06:21 PM   #11

Trailer: 2014 17B
I have slept many nights in the top bunk, it is a tight squeeze and I would recommend additional padding. Being about 5'11" getting up and down is a little challenging since you have to tuck up underneath the cabinets. I am in my mid 30s and consider it bearable, but can't imagine someone in there 50s or 60s having much fun up there.
smilycook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 07:34 PM   #12

Trailer: 2006 17b Goucho
The top of the lower bed matress is 17 inches high.
Thane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 07:47 PM   #13
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by smilycook View Post
..... I am in my mid 30s and consider it bearable, but can't imagine someone in there 50s or 60s having much fun up there.
I'm 'er.... in my 60s. I think I could do okay in the top bunk, but the bottom bunk (seeing that top bunk inches away from my nose), not so much.... YMMV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 10:39 PM   #14
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I'm 'er.... in my 60s. I think I could do okay in the top bunk, but the bottom bunk (seeing that top bunk inches away from my nose), not so much.... YMMV
Served on a US Navy ship with three high bunk beds, turning over my shoulder cleared the one above me by maybe 2 inches. Snug quarters (with bed belts for rough seas...like seat belts in cars.) You get used to it after 3-4 months.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote