19' Build Questions - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 03-12-2014, 09:10 AM   #41

Trailer: 2016 - Escape 19 (2nd Gen), 2021 F150 Powerboost
Ahhh---the maxi fan---forgot about that. That takes care of the controlled ventilation requirement. Crack the door, turn on the fan, everything disappears through the roof vent. Still the whole cabinet issue, but that could be dealt with by a custom fab stainless cover on the underside of the cabinets. We do plan on doing most of our cooking on a Weber but its not so good with making coffee
davescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 09:26 AM   #42

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ice-breaker View Post
.... and after all we are often in an area where the scenery is nice and it is a pleasure to be outdoors.
The absolute number one reason for cooking outdoors, in my mind. The weather has to be absolutely terrible to force me inside, like the coastal winter weather Donna wants to camp in. .
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 10:49 AM   #43

Trailer: Escape 19 February 2014
If someone were doing a lot of cooking inside the fan might be a good idea, but the reason mine is hard to clean is that it's not a flat surface and the angle I have to approach it is awkward to get to where I have to get. It's easier to wipe down a cabinet.
Ruthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 01:00 PM   #44

I know it has been mentioned before, but just as in homes, the main purpose of a hood fan is to remove moisture that can cause problems with structure.

At one time I was keen on the thought of just using my ceiling fan, but after more thought, would definitely always use a hood fan, as it is directly over the stove, and is easier to clean.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 03-12-2014, 01:15 PM   #45

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Hey Jim, why not mention what you do for a living?
Old 03-12-2014, 01:22 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Hey Jim, why not mention what you do for a living?
Methinks most everyone knows anyway, but I do custom renovations and home building.
Old 03-12-2014, 01:36 PM   #47

Trailer: 21 ft November 17th
I have pondered the question of a range hood fan or not myself. Often we just use the max fan when using the stove but the issue of moisture rising up into the Wood work above if there were no range hood in place is a good point . I guess if you were a very occasional user of the stove inside them it might be ok.
dave macrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 01:43 PM   #48

Hey Dave, it looks like I can no longer turn my nose up at folks from St Albert, as you guys have bumped Calgary from the #1 city in Canada to live. I now must bow to you.
Old 03-12-2014, 01:48 PM   #49

Trailer: 21 ft November 17th
I saw that this morning, A pretty good 1 -2 punch . Little old St.albert is turning into a Escape hub I think there is three here now .
dave macrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 03:21 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Methinks most everyone knows anyway, but I do custom renovations and home building.
I used to repair leaky condos on the wet coast so I'm particularily fond of fg trailers and good ventilation.
Old 03-14-2014, 12:23 AM   #51

Trailer: Working on my build list
I'm also a device watcher not a TV watcher. I'm planning on external antennas for a cell phone booster and WiFi booster. I am also going to future-proof a bit with some conduit between front and back cabinets to make pulling wire easier as the technology changes. (I much prefer gigabit Ethernet to WiFi when possible, its faster and less chance of interference from my neighbors microwave oven and gadgets). I'm going to skip the satellite and TV antenna connections.

I will get solar. I will have the wiring installed when the trailer is built since the wires need to be inside the walls. Living in the northwest I may need an extra solar panel to be able to charge in the winter when the skies are dark, the days are short and the sun never gets very high. I will wire so an extra panel can be added later if it turns out I need one. Going to a larger wire size will help with voltage drop issues as well as adding the ability to safely handle more current.

Not all technology is happy on a cheap inverter. I will get an inverter that produces a pure sine wave. That way I know I'll avoid expensive problems.
WestEnder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 08:54 AM   #52

I've thought about conduit as well but probably won't. Still thinking about it though. Up in this end of the woods, coax is disappearing and is being replaced with Cat6. Will yours be the first Escape with fiber optic cables You could also network all the trailer monitors and thermostat

Its too much for me. At this point I'd probably be more interested in kayak racks.

BTW, I've got a new build date. I did have the very last date available in 2014 but due to some fortuitous event got advanced to Oct.
Old 05-11-2014, 12:06 PM   #53

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19
Dometic/SMEV Combo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post

Still loving our Dometic/SMEV Combo flush mount stove/sink.
Jim, what model did you get? Can you post a link please? What are the advantages?
Dave Whiting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 02:59 PM   #54

Thanks to all of you for your input over the last months as Angela and I developed our build list. This forum has been an invaluable source of information and we've just signed off on our list.

We added the following items to make boondocking a little easier:
-extra 12 volt outlets (more efficient use of power than using an inverter)
-600 Watt Inverter (for incidental use)
-Dual 6 volt batteries
-LED lights in and out
-Screen Room (We've got some Finnish relatives who just sit outside in the swamp and acclimatize themselves to repeated bites until it no longer bothers them. We're not like that!)
-Solar Panel

General comfort and interior appearance:
-6.7 cf fridge (fingers crossed hoping Reace and Dometic find a fix)
-stainless stove, hood fan, cover and sink
-windows in the kitchen and washroom
-removeable power (tidier)
-cabinet door at end of bench
-air conditioner, digital stat and surge protector (some day we might visit Texas or Osoyoos)

Pure vanity necessitated the aluminum rims

We didn't get the following because we had to cut somewhere:
-2 way hot water (if we're at a “resort”, we'll probably use their facilities)
-oven (bbq instead)
-exterior shower (we're just cleaner than everyone else )
-1500 watt inverter and auto transfer switch (couldn't justify it once we dumped the microwave idea)
-Extra reading lights (the darker it is, the easier to see our tablets) We did place some 12V plugs in the upper cabinets at both ends, so it will be easy to tap into that power for future additions if necessary)
-quick connect propane (we prefer a high pressure connection)
-stereo and tv connections (use tablets and bluetooth stereo instead)
-extra insulation (I did a heat loss calculation Home Heat Loss Calculator and concluded that the gain would be minimal/$ spent. As far as noise goes, our dog snores louder than a campground party, and we can always turn on the jet engine above the stove for white noise)
-starter kit (I wanted a three piece coupler lock set that's keyed alike so we purchased elsewhere)