19' Build Questions - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 03-09-2014, 11:22 PM   #1

Trailer: 2016 - Escape 19 (2nd Gen), 2021 F150 Powerboost
19' Build Questions

I have a few build questions and I'm hoping that you can help out. When I first started lurking on this forum I thought the choices couldn't possibly be difficult Maybe you can help me out with my future 19'. I'm not sure if we will be boondocking or full hookups. We haven't camped in a trailer since the late 90's in a old Travelaire. I'd like all the options but have to draw the line somewhere. Current list has 2 way HW, stainless 2 burner and sink, 6.7 cf fridge, no micro, 2 extra windows, AC and voltage protection, door at end of bench, 2x6V, LED, shelves in wardrobe, and solar panel.

I'm not sure about radio and tv connections. This tech is changing every day and I'm not sure I want all the comforts of home. We'd probably be content with tablets and a portable radio. Insulation would be nice but most of our camping will be in a fairly moderate climate.

What is the function of the stove cover? Do you need it to protect the adjoining wall surfaces?

Do you like the rotated stove two burner stove? How many extra inches of counter do you get?

How fast do you typically empty a 20lb propane tank when boondocking with hot water and fridge?

How much insulation is extra insulation? 1.5x, 2x

Would bottom insulation exceed the value of extra insulation around the top?

Where are the dual 6V batteries typically located on the 2014 model? I think I've seen pictures of them on the rear bumper and some under the dinette.

Where is the optional inverter installed?

If I'm not blending margaritas and nuking popcorn, will the fixed solar panel on the roof keep me happy for a week in overcast weather?

Do I really need a hard wired 600 watt inverter? Camera, cell phone, tablet....is there something you think I'm missing.

How easy is it to tap into 12 volt power later on for stereo or additional lights.

Do the cabinets across the front of the trailer come standard with doors or is it just a shelf?

Is there a standard included exterior access door to the under dinette storage?

When interior walls are reinforced for future additions, is the whole wall reinforced or just small portions of it?

Well that's the first list. Sure glad you guys are around.
davescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 11:55 PM   #2

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
[QUOTE=davescape;46270]If I'm not blending margaritas and nuking popcorn, will the fixed solar panel on the roof keep me happy for a week in overcast weather?

I've camped for a week with just the one fixed solar panel and had no problem even with overcast skies. That being said, it was in September so the weather was mild (didn't have to run the furnace very much at night), I didn't have to use much lighting (still long days), and the sun was still relatively high enough in the sky to burn through the clouds.

I just returned from a ten-day trip (February) and finally moved to a powered site. I may have been able to squeak by (I did the first night), but it was iffy and the last thing I wanted was to wake up in the morning with no juice to run the furnace fan (it was in the low 30s).
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 01:06 AM   #3

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I have a 17, but can offer my opinion on some of your concerns.

Those with insulation note that it is a sound insulator as well as heat.

I'm with you as far as technology changing, so I don't have any installed electronics. ( thinking what I'm going to do with my wired 5.1 audio visual receiver if we move into a condo? - throw it out I guess since nobody wants wires ).

With the stove cover down, you have extra counter space for drying dishes. Option is to find a cutting board that fits over the burners and use that instead of the cover, but cover does protect the wall from splatters. (Goggle http://www.epicureancs.com/ ). We do most cooking outside on a one burner butane stove and BBQ.

I'd get 12V outlets installed wherever you think you might use them. I have a small 200 W inverter for charging my iPhone and Mac Air ( also use it in the car ). Most other electronics work on 12V ( Sirius satellite radio, iPod dock, TV, DVD player ).
Old 03-10-2014, 07:24 AM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Hi: davescape... If thumbs rule, I use this. Some options are better installed during the build, some can be added later. You have to sort them out to your own abilities. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Ft.Myers Beach Florida for now
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 08:13 AM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
You need to see one. Your questions and some responses:

What is the function of the stove cover? Do you need it to protect the adjoining wall surfaces?
It turns the stove area into workspace. No. We do not have it and don't miss it.

Do you like the rotated stove two burner stove? How many extra inches of counter do you get?
Yes - we have it. None - but the counter is more usable, there is more space between the sink and stove and less between the stove and back splash.

How fast do you typically empty a 20lb propane tank when boondocking with hot water and fridge?
Weeks - no way to quantify, it depends on YOUR usage.

How much insulation is extra insulation? 1.5x, 2x
Don't know - but we have it and the thermopane windows and like the reduced noise.

Would bottom insulation exceed the value of extra insulation around the top?
We have the tank foam - see previous answer.

Where are the dual 6V batteries typically located on the 2014 model? I think I've seen pictures of them on the rear bumper and some under the dinette.
It varies by model - on the 19 they are in the storage box or on the A-frame behind the gas tanks.

Where is the optional inverter installed?
Below the passenger dinette.

If I'm not blending margaritas and nuking popcorn, will the fixed solar panel on the roof keep me happy for a week in overcast weather?
Probably. No way to quantify, it depends on YOUR usage.

Do I really need a hard wired 600 watt inverter? Camera, cell phone, tablet....is there something you think I'm missing.
Only you can answer this.

How easy is it to tap into 12 volt power later on for stereo or additional lights.
Depends on where you want it. Very easy below the bed and dinette seats, harder in the overheads.

Do the cabinets across the front of the trailer come standard with doors or is it just a shelf?
Shelf.

Is there a standard included exterior access door to the under dinette storage?
2/3 of each dinette seat hinges up, after you remove the cushion
jamman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 08:30 AM   #6

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
I'll tackle a few of your questions...

r.e. power usage -- probably. Determining your usage is the only way to answer the question with certainty, but most likely you won't have a problem (particularly with dual 6V -- with those batteries, if you conserve power you can probably get by for a week without the solar at all).

r.e. inverter -- no, you don't need a built-in 600W inverter. You can buy an inexpensive 200W inverter that will plug into one of the 12V outlets that will do everything you listed.

This is what I do, but I ran into one problem -- the inverter is sensitive to voltage drop, so it only works when plugged into the outlet close to the front of the trailer. If I plug it into one of the rear outlets, as soon as I put any significant drain on it (including laptop charging) the voltage drops enough that the inverter gives up.

If I were starting over, I would consider asking to have the wiring to the 12V outlets upgraded. But I'd only do it if it was inexpensive, since I can get by using the front outlet.

r.e. access to front storage -- no, there's no standard exterior hatch to the front storage. As jamman indicated the standard access is the seat bench tops hinging up. A common option is an interior cupboard door right beside the exterior door. If you are considering an exterior hatch, stick with the passenger's side. There's too much infrastructure stuff on the driver's side to make it very useful storage.

2013 Escape 19 ("The Dog House") , 2018 Ford F150
dbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 08:33 AM   #7
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by davescape View Post

Well that's the first list. Sure glad you guys are around.
I feel your pain, I'm in the exact same boat only building a 5er. For me, it's not how I currently camp.. I know all about that... but the FUTURE... maybe for you too.

I'm with the others, some of this is about your ability to run wires, etc.

I decided, to get the items that run UNDER the insulation, because that's during the build even if I don't get the option. Like wired for solar and wired for A/C. Solar is getting better and better and cheaper and cheaper. My future MAY involve a suitcase solar panel. Look into that for yourself as well.

Extra insulation and dual pane windows are a way to extend your camping season. Those of us that own (or have owned) other all molded towables know all about lack of insulation and single-pane windows. For me, this is a must have.

Good luck with your decisions. Buy Tums
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 10:11 AM   #8

Trailer: 21 ft November 17th
I think he awning is in the way on the rhs for putting a exterior hatch there, I have one on the lhs and there is not much space there wth the black tank, surge protector and such , but it is useful space. The standard location for the batteries is in the front exterior storage box or on the tounge if you don't have a box. I wanted tore-locate mine inside and was talked out of it. I know "Ice-Breaker" has his in the rhs front diennete seat area. This is where I would prefer them as this space is not very easy to access even with the extra door and the batteries take up alot of space in the front storage box
dave macrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 12:23 PM   #9

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave macrae View Post
I think he awning is in the way on the rhs for putting a exterior hatch there, I have one on the lhs and there is not much space there wth the black tank, surge protector and such , but it is useful space. The standard location for the batteries is in the front exterior storage box or on the tounge if you don't have a box. I wanted tore-locate mine inside and was talked out of it. I know "Ice-Breaker" has his in the rhs front diennete seat area. This is where I would prefer them as this space is not very easy to access even with the extra door and the batteries take up alot of space in the front storage box
I do have the dual 6V batteries inside the front dinette. Standard location is in a plastic storage box mounted on the frame at the front of the trailer behind the propane tanks, or alternatively, in the front storage box if you have that option. Some are happy with the batteries outside in the box or on the frame. Others are not. I specifically asked to have ours moved inside. However, I have heard from others on this forum that Reace may no longer be offering to put the batteries inside the front dinette as an option. You would have to ask him if he would still do that.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 12:49 PM   #10

Trailer: none
he told me inside is not an option.
cargofool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 01:09 PM   #11

Trailer: 21 ft November 17th
I seem to remember the reason was the batteries are best on the tounge for weight.
dave macrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 07:46 PM   #12

Trailer: 2018 19 (& previously 2014 19)
Quote:
I have a few build questions and I'm hoping that you can help out.
I hope you don't mind if I pipe up, I am also creating a build list, but have a few thoughts based on what I read or what we are deciding to do. It is amazing how many hours we spent creating a build list and it is great how you can get so many ideas reading these forums.

Quote:
I'm not sure about radio and tv connections.
We, too, are omitting it. The technology is changing and we already are more device watchers than TV watchers.

Quote:
What is the function of the stove cover? Do you need it to protect the adjoining wall surfaces?... Do you like the rotated stove two burner stove? How many extra inches of counter do you get?
We are omitting the cover and rotating the burners. I think if the cover was up I would find the space more limiting and there would be less counter space available (totally couldn't use the space behind). If I had the cover and the cover was down, I wouldn't use it (other than to plop things on it). I think I would be more inclined to use the actual counter rather than on the stove top for food prep. Someone on here made a nice wood cutting-board cover that doubled as a tray and I am hoping we will make the same for ours. We are also rotating the stove. I will post a pic that someone else posted (I can't remember who and I hope it is okay for me to post their pic of the stove rotated). Hard to see the measuring tape, but it looks like it is 14-15" between sink and rotated stove. I believe the standard distance between sink and stove is about 11".

Quote:
It's a shelf.
Attached Thumbnails
stove 90degrees.JPG  
RooBarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 08:04 PM   #13
Site Team

IMHO if you're getting the 19' with a two burner stove... rotate it! You want as much counter space as you can get. Gotta put that Mr. Coffee someplace!
Old 03-10-2014, 08:10 PM   #14

Trailer: none
would LOVE extra counter space; however, rotating stove is not for me.

IMHO, rotating stove effectively makes stove a 1 burner unit. using back burner and front burner simultaneously creates an awkward, if not dangerous, situation of reaching rear burner over top of front burner. And I am prepared to be in the miniscule minority with this opinion. YMMV.
cargofool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 08:12 PM   #15

Trailer: Escape 19 February 2014
Cargofool, that's why I didn't rotate.
Ruthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 08:16 PM   #16
Site Team

And that's exactly why we have CHOICES! Isn't it grand
Old 03-10-2014, 09:23 PM   #17

Quote:
Gbaglo: I really want the the hardwired inverter, just because its cool. Want/need
For sure you need it. Otherwise you'll have stuff on the counter and wires all over the place.
Old 03-10-2014, 09:40 PM   #18

KarenH: thanks, that kind of solar info is helpful, especially since you share the same clouds, weather, and of course the Bellingham Costco

Gbaglo: I really want the the hardwired inverter, just because its cool. Want/need

escape artist: I think all of the options are better installed during the build, that's the problem.

Jamman: I thought that the vinyl liner would melt without the cover and flaps

dbailey: thanks, I wouldn't have thought you could get that kind of voltage drop from one end of the trailer to the other.

Donna D: hope your build goes well. Those 5ers sure look nice.

Dave macrae, Ice-Breaker: I'm not going to get the box so I'd just as soon have the batteries on the tongue. Is it for appearance that you wanted them inside?

Roobarb: the cutting board over the stove is a good idea for us. We need a place to wield sharp utensils for surgery after we incur 3rd degree burns reaching across the stove. Seriously, I like the cutting board idea.

Cargofool, Ruthe: I too was wondering if the stove rotation was an opportunity for self sacrifice

Gbaglo: wow, you grabbed a sliver of my post before I could delete and edit—but not that part, I really do want it, just looking for closure
Old 03-10-2014, 09:55 PM   #19

I'm confused.
You should get it.
Advantage is that you don't have an inverter sitting on the counter and wires running to stuff you need to charge.
You'll have enough stuff sitting on counters if you don't get the installed audio/video.
I'd have it if I'd thought about it and was willing to spend the money.
Now that I'm retired, I'm even less inclined to spend money, although I'd love to have the aluminum rims. I do need new tires.
Old 03-10-2014, 10:10 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I'm confused.
You should get it.
Advantage is that you don't have an inverter sitting on the counter and wires running to stuff you need to charge.
You'll have enough stuff sitting on counters if you don't get the installed audio/video.
I'd have it if I'd thought about it and was willing to spend the money.
Now that I'm retired, I'm even less inclined to spend money, although I'd love to have the aluminum rims. I do need new tires.

You're my best new friend and my wife's worst enemy