19 ft - reversing bed and dinette - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 04-11-2016, 10:06 PM   #21

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19 (TV: 2007 Chevy Tahoe)
We have a reversed 19, dinette in the back. The two of us sleep on different ends together.
For us:
Pros...
No crawl-over for those middle of the night trips to the water closet.
Larger table
Larger windows to view being "in" the campsite as opposed to looking at the back of the tow vehicle.
More seating room for grand kids, and/or other guests.
Quick collapsing table converts to a bed fairly quickly.
Trailer seems larger to us.
Lots of storage under the front bed (I put in drawers for easier access.)
Cons:
Have to set up the bed every night (not that big a deal, 10 min.)
Have to convert back to a dinette every morning (not that big a deal, 10 min)
Gary
pkgman51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 12:09 PM   #22

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19'
Thanks for your insight Gary. I too I am leaning more towards a bigger eating/lounge area. It's good to see your pros and cons.
katzam29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 10:42 PM   #23

Trailer: In the queue for Escape '19
Are you able to upload pictures for us to view your set-up?

Thank you,
Michele
Pasita Cali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 11:12 PM   #24

Trailer: ex Casita/ 2016 Escape 21 '16 TRD 4x4
We have been think about swapping the bed and dinette. I asked that the front window be eliminated and the rear have a u shaped seating. Every change costs money and they don't give you a credit for things removed (stove vent fan or the front window). We have a Casita that has a 54" bed which is tight, so a 44" inch bed might be a deal breaker. We'll have to try it our and see. I think swapping the stove and sink might work, although they probably charge extra again.
jerry and maria
jerryandmaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 01:14 AM   #25
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
My advice to those who are thinking about reversing the bed and dinette on the 19 is to go and spend some time in the stock layout. You might be surprised. Reversing the floor plan is a relatively unusual change, and although if works for some people (particularly single travelers), it certainly would not work for us. The Queen bed is priceless.
Old 04-13-2016, 06:53 AM   #26

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
My advice to those who are thinking about reversing the bed and dinette on the 19 is to go and spend some time in the stock layout. You might be surprised. Reversing the floor plan is a relatively unusual change, and although if works for some people (particularly single travelers), it certainly would not work for us. The Queen bed is priceless.
I too would never consider reversing the bed/dinette layout in a 19 for two people. Though if I ever did do it, it would be no problem, for I would be a single traveller, as there is no way my wife would come along. She (and I too) love the queen bed.

For us, the bed is the single most important feature of any trailer, as that is by far the prime reason we want a trailer, to have a comfortable place to sleep out of the elements. The dinette's importance comes behind that of the galley and bath too. Well, maybe it equals the importance of the bath, for me at least. Lisa's view on the bath may be different.

Many places I have camped see the rear of the trailer backed into trees affording no view, and the best view is out the front. Of course, there are also lots of places where the views out the back are favourable. But, if you are like us, and much prefer to be outdoors, it matters little for most situations other than the few times the weather is really bad, which does happen.

If you are one that prefers to hang out inside when camping, I do think the rear dinette holds a bit of an advantage.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 08:59 AM   #27

One of the main reasons I would consider reversing the bed/dinette layout, is because I don't like the bed to be that close to the stove and kitchen area. In my mind, having the dinette/lounge area right off the kitchen seems to work better.
Old 04-13-2016, 09:10 AM   #28

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzam29 View Post
One of the main reasons I would consider reversing the bed/dinette layout, is because I don't like the bed to be that close to the stove and kitchen area. In my mind, having the dinette/lounge area right off the kitchen seems to work better.
In a space that small, everything is right beside everything anyway.

We never had issue with the proximity of the bed to the dinette. Folks do need to decide for themselves what is most important to their way of trailering. We all differ.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 10:48 AM   #29

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
There is a wall panel between the stove and the bed area. I expect that is required for structure, but it protects the bed area.
If you were to reverse the plan, you have a traffic jam as person working in the kitchen area and people going in and out of the dinette try to occupy the same floor space.
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2016-04-13 at 8.45.02 AM.jpg  
Old 04-13-2016, 11:01 AM   #30

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
There is a wall panel between the stove and the bed area. I expect that is required for structure, but it protects the bed area.
If you were to reverse the plan, you have a traffic jam as person working in the kitchen area and people going in and out of the dinette try to occupy the same floor space.
One nice thing about the 21 is that the aisle is a bit wider, so people getting in and out of the dinette while someone is cooking is less of a problem.
Old 04-13-2016, 11:14 AM   #31

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
That would be my view also. Having a full time queen bed, for us, is the absolute priority. We'd never go back to a situation where the bed had to be turned into the dinette every day. Deleting the front window also might result in a darker gloomy interior in some settings. And lastly, the smaller bed would be a non-starter for us. Synchronized rolling over in unison wear's thin after a while. We put up with it in the Scamp because there wasn't any option but we wouldn't willingly do that again.

But we all have ours likes and dislikes, at the end of the day we all make decisions that we think are best for us.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 06:46 PM   #32

Different stokes for different folks. We all have good points to make that favor their layout choice. Ultimately, for us the biggest driver for the rear dinette was the crawl-over for those middle of the night trips to the loo. By sleeping at different ends together that problem is solved. Resetting the dinette evening and morning is the price we pay to accommodate that resolution. We found a flip-up and flip-down table support that simplifies the chore.
Finally, one more point....
My wife and I go to bed at different times. She likes to sit up and read for a while before turning in. Being on different ends of the 19 accommodates this situation as well.
Gary
Old 04-13-2016, 06:55 PM   #33

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
I gotta admit Gary you've got me rather stumped on this one. "By sleeping at different ends together" I hope we meet up out there one day as I want you to teach me that trick.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 07:20 PM   #34

Reversed 19' pics...
Attached Thumbnails
Inside Trailer Pic 2 (800x451).jpg   Inside Trailer Pic 1 (800x451).jpg  
Old 04-13-2016, 08:13 PM   #35

"Synchronized rolling over in unison", thanks for the laugh Ron!
Old 04-13-2016, 08:16 PM   #36

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Hey Gary, how do you get into the fridge for a beer while the wife makes breakfast?
Old 04-13-2016, 08:32 PM   #37

Smile

Ha....good question....I do all the cooking when we RV....so, no problem for that "breakfast" beer...Carona early, IPA's later... ;-)

There are zero calories in cheese holes, eat as many as you want.
Old 04-13-2016, 10:29 PM   #38

Trailer: In the queue for Escape '19
Thank you for posting the pictures!

Michele
Pasita Cali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 11:03 PM   #39

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkgman51 View Post
Different stokes for different folks. We all have good points to make that favor their layout choice. Ultimately, for us the biggest driver for the rear dinette was the crawl-over for those middle of the night trips to the loo. By sleeping at different ends together that problem is solved. Resetting the dinette evening and morning is the price we pay to accommodate that resolution. We found a flip-up and flip-down table support that simplifies the chore.
My wife and I go to bed at different times. She likes to sit up and read for a while before turning in. Being on different ends of the 19 accommodates this situation as well.
Gary
Thanks for coming out of the dinette. Truth be told there are more out there than care to admit this.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 12:55 AM   #40

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkgman51 View Post
Gary
Hi: pkgman51... Sounds like you're camping together...separately!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote