19 ft - reversing bed and dinette - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 04-09-2016, 12:11 PM   #1

Trailer: 19 ft. Feb 21 2017
19 ft - reversing bed and dinette

OK, now that I've seen high lift axles as option for the 19, I am considering it as an option vs 17B (o/o).

I am seeking Pros and cons of switching the perm bed to the front. In my imagination, I have:

cons
narrower bed (44 to 50ish wide vs 60)
maybe controls for heater and fan back where table is or have to be moved

pros
bigger table surface for desk, cooking, eating, games
more efficient / fewer steps from kitchen to table.
bed linens stay cleaner as they are further away from sink or stove spatter

In forum searching, the most concrete I've found is @Vermilye wrote last fall
" This puts the table at the more attractive end of most campsites, solves the high window problem, and the table can be large enough for 4."

What is the high window problem?

and what are other people's experiences and thoughts? trade offs in electrical access? shifts in storage?

thank you.
flatlandreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 12:49 PM   #2

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
high window problem: on the 19, in order to make the gaucho bunk possible, the windows are set a little high. If you're of average height (or shorter) you need to sit up straight and tall in order to get full view out the windows. Many people would prefer if the windows were set a little lower. Some people have had the dinette area raised in order to get better visability when sitting at the dinette.

I don't know if the windows in the rear are any lower, but the floor is raised in the rear to accomodate the fresh water tank, so you get the raised dinette.

r.e. smaller bed in front -- definitely. Comfortable for one, but crowded for 2.

bigger table if it's in the back -- again, no argument. You'll get a lot more space this way.

There's very little efficiency difference -- the space is so small it doesn't really matter whether you walk to the front or back.

If you plan to do a lot of cooking in the trailer, spatter might be a consideration. Many people do almost all of their cooking out doors. You also have the option of moving the stove to the front of the counter if you want to leave the bed in the rear and spatter concerns you.

regarding electical access: I'd want to talk to Reace (or somebody who's had this done) to find out how he'd organize everything with this arrangement.

2013 Escape 19 ("The Dog House") , 2018 Ford F150
dbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 01:44 AM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19'
I'm thinking of doing the reverse in my 19 as well. Just have to consider if a 44 inch bed is going to be comfortable enough for two people. Having a large U-shaped lounge area at the other end would be great though!
katzam29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 07:28 AM   #4

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Just remember that the front window is not part of the thermal package and you will have to place insulation between the window and the exterior cover to keep that front area warm.
Old 04-10-2016, 07:45 AM   #5
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
19 ft - reversing bed and dinette

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Just remember that the front window is not part of the thermal package and you will have to place insulation between the window and the exterior cover to keep that front area warm.

Good advice, even if you don't flip the floor plan and are just making the dinette into a bed. A piece of insulation foam cut to fit works well, and does make a difference.
Old 04-10-2016, 07:49 AM   #6

I have a garage attic full of various odd pieces of foam pieces that came in packages over the years so I have a good source to work with.
Old 04-10-2016, 08:31 AM   #7

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzam29 View Post
I'm thinking of doing the reverse in my 19 as well. Just have to consider if a 44 inch bed is going to be comfortable enough for two people. Having a large U-shaped lounge area at the other end would be great though!
For us, we would never consider this change for two. We loved our queen sized bed, and I know my wife would not consider anything less, though for me a bit less would be no problem.

We have had couples sleep in the front of our 19 a few times, and they all said that it was not much of a problem for their temporary stay, but would not consider it for a more permanent situation.

For a single travel, it would be palatial.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 09:16 AM   #8

Trailer: none
I had the reversed plan in my 19'. For a solo traveller it was a perfect setup. The bed had more than enough room for one person to sprawl out. I slept with my head toward the door and used the small stooge table for things like clocks, eyeglasses, etc. there was a ton of storage under the bed.

I had the u shaped dineete in the rear and had ETI raise the area by 4 inches so I could see easily out all 3 windows. (I am 5'4").

If I had it to do over, I'd ask ETi to install the easy up/down single pedestal table. Taking the 2 pedestal table, which was huge, up/down for my Mom when she travelled with me was a PITA.
ColoRockiesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 09:44 AM   #9

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19'
We used to have a 13 ft Scamp where the rear dinette turned into a bed (fit both my husband and I, but uncomfortable hard cushions!) and the front couch turned into bunks for the kids. We all fit fine for a couple of years, (older son got too big for top bunk) sold the Scamp and bought a 25 ft Salem bunkhouse model. It's a good trailer with lots of space. We've had it for 5 years and once again older son is outgrowing the bunk bed (he's 15).

I love the molded fibreglass trailers and the look and quality of the Escape....so decided to go back to the glass egg. It would be downsizing from what we have now, (upgrading in quality) but the beds are longer whether one sleeps at the queen bed or dinette area.

We'll have to go to the factory and lie down in the dinette turned into a bed to see how much space we would have. Good thing we have lots of time to figure it out!

BTW...I've been a reader of this forum for a long time, and the information has always been great!
katzam29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 10:18 AM   #10

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Quote:
Is this true with the new windows?

2013 Escape 19 ("The Dog House") , 2018 Ford F150
dbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 11:03 AM   #11

Trailer: 2015 Artic Fox 29-5T Fifthwheel
Quote:
Huh!........ VERY good to know!
Thank you
Rosalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 11:45 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbailey View Post
Is this true with the new windows?
Yes, the front window, behind the window guard, is not thermal, nor opening, old or new.
Old 04-10-2016, 11:52 AM   #13

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
For us, we would never consider this change for two. We loved our queen sized bed, and I know my wife would not consider anything less, though for me a bit less would be no problem.

We have had couples sleep in the front of our 19 a few times, and they all said that it was not much of a problem for their temporary stay, but would not consider it for a more permanent situation.

Ditto, exactly what Jim said.

As much as we loved our little Scamp the thing we were most happy to be free of was a bed that size for two people.

Ron
Ron in BC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 12:04 PM   #14
Site Team

Quote:

Well, palatial for a trailer.
Old 04-10-2016, 12:11 PM   #15

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
I remember after doing half the country in a Scamp 13 with two toddlers, my wife and I took it up for a weekend in the mountains without the kids. We thought we were staying in a huge condo.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 12:16 PM   #16

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Well, palatial for a trailer.
In my mind that was a given. But let's avoid discussing how my mind works, okay!
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 12:30 PM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
In my mind that was a given. But let's avoid discussing how my mind works, okay!

Your mind works fine. Just messing with you. I've stayed in a few palaces during my travels....
Old 04-10-2016, 01:17 PM   #18

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
The front bed in a reversed 19 would be about the same size as the rear (main) bed in a 17B. Since a number of couples manage in the 17B, I suspect it would work for many in the 19.

For a single traveler, I feel it is an ideal set up. A good sized bed and the possibility of a "U" shaped dinette that can have a deep rear bench and still fit a large table. That, combined with a single adjustable pedestal with 4 way slide would be what I would go for if I was to move up to a 19.
Old 04-10-2016, 01:44 PM   #19

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Jon,
Wouldn't be too hard to grab one of the used 19's that have been coming up and make the conversion. Probably a good bit less investment as well to go that route and get all the Vermilye mods in from the get go.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 06:07 PM   #20

Trailer: 19 ft. Feb 21 2017
thank you all for your insights. I'm attracted to the palatiality of the queen permanent bed and so will likely stay traditional.
flatlandreader is offline   Reply With Quote