2-way hot water heater? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 07-11-2014, 10:48 AM   #21
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Mike, the TA Reace and Tammy are bringing doesn't have the u-shape and mine does... You'll have an opportunity to compare the two! A Loop trailer tours 10am-Noon on Saturday.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 11:08 AM   #22

Trailer: 2008 17B Escape
Jim the only reason the heater is under your head is cause you sleep on the wrong side of the trailer!!

I guess I was lucky on the way to Osoyoos as we had turned on the heater and I didn't realize Doug hadn't re-done the bypass switch..We couldn't figure out why it wouldn't stay lit up---pressed the reset button a few times etc--Reace finally helped us out.. And we didn't burn out the element....
Old 07-11-2014, 12:00 PM   #23

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5TA
Question about the 2 way... Where is the electric switch? Manual says bottom left corner(outside), I don't see one?
Vicki A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 12:11 PM   #24

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
All it takes is one forgetful moment and you will burn out the electric element, $$ to repair. One less item to remember to turn on/off. These little items all add up to a list yea long to remember, I want to get away from stress rather than add to it.
http://www.amazon.ca/Woods-59717-60-...l+switch+timer

isn't this a good idea for the hot water heater for those forgetful moments
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 12:44 PM   #25

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
One less item to remember to turn on/off. These little items all add up to a list yea long to remember, I want to get away from stress rather than add to it.
Exactly. And that's why my little 15A is perfect for me as I have so very little to be concerned about--no plumbing issues to contend with and very few electrical or propane connections that can go haywire. (Even I can slap a puck light in a dark overhead.) I could truly live in Egbert for days (and have) in a campground. But, again, it always boils down to camping lifestyle and what one is willing to take on...
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 01:17 PM   #26

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2020 Toyota Sienna
I'm glad I got the two-way. While the switch (in the exterior access) is not easily seen (mine is near the bottom left corner under stuff), when I prepare to leave, I remember that both hot and cold water need to be "disconnected". However, the reverse is not true! I was told always to run the hot water side of the faucet so that the tank is full before heating.
Old 07-11-2014, 01:36 PM   #27

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA, 2014- RAM HEMI 8 spd
Thank you, Donna. See you then.
Scuba55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 01:51 PM   #28

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by amirie View Post
Jim the only reason the heater is under your head is cause you sleep on the wrong side of the trailer!!
You saying I am a bit backwards, Anna-Marie?

Hmmm... I think you might have a valid point there, but that could be why we get along so good too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicki A. View Post
Question about the 2 way... Where is the electric switch? Manual says bottom left corner(outside), I don't see one?
It is a small switch on the water heater that you have to get down and look for, and yes, it is on the left. I never saw it when I first looked for it, good thing I was camping with Reace.

This is just another reason for adding a switch inside, seeing the one on the water heater is a real pain to use. This way I can switch on from inside, with an indicator light that alerts me to it being on. Some use the breaker, but breakers are not meant to be used a lot as on/off switches, they are to protect a circuit, and to isolate it if you need to work on it.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 04:08 PM   #29

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Other than pulling the drain plug on the hot water tank, it is almost impossible (once filled) to drain the tank. When you draw hot water, cold water enters to replace it, whether the source is your on board tank through the water pump, or pressure from the city water connection if you have hookups. Even if you don't have hookups, and run the on board fresh water tank dry, both the cold & hot water will stop working, keeping water in the water heater.

I have both electric & propane, and once the hot water tank is filled, leave the electric on all the time. I did add an inside switch for the 120V supply so I can turn it off if I'm hooked up to a 15 amp pedestal, letting me run the AC or coffee pot without worrying about the water heater starting & tripping the pedestal breaker. The only time I turn off the switch on the hot water tank itself is prior to winterizing the trailer.
Old 07-11-2014, 09:39 PM   #30

Thanks Jon, that is nice to know. I was told to do that as a kid many moons ago, so that the water heater wouldn't burn up. I wonder if left sitting in hot weather and for long periods, would it all or most of the water evaporate?
Old 07-11-2014, 09:56 PM   #31

Trailer: Escape 5.0 SA
Dave it sounds like in your case that the propane water heater is your best bet. Use the $200.00 toward other options you want and need. I have and use the electric water heater but only because I camp where electricity is also needed for air conditioning.
daveandsandyclink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 10:10 PM   #32
Site Team

We're now on page four of this topic. It's not about US... it's about YOU and what you need now... and in the future. Anyone have a crystal ball?
Old 07-11-2014, 10:26 PM   #33

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandra L View Post
I wonder if left sitting in hot weather and for long periods, would it all or most of the water evaporate?
No. That would happen to an open pot left on a stove, but this is a closed container so there's no way for water vapour to leave.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 10:56 PM   #34

That makes sense Brian. Thank you too.
Old 07-11-2014, 11:30 PM   #35
Site Team

But, non-sterile water left in any container for "a while" will develop algea or other "stuff" you may not want to ingest.
Old 07-12-2014, 12:16 AM   #36

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Yes, I got the U-shaped dinette, no table mounted (two stooge tables) and had an extra filler board and cushion made. I wanted a lounge!

I'll post pictures sometime next week.

Here in the Pacific NorthWET, propane prices are rising and electric costs are going down. We're big into solar and wind power, not so big into drilling.
I'm working on my 5.0TA build sheet and am curious what are the two "stooge tables." I too plan on using the U shaped area as a lounging area and will be looking forward to you pictures.
gingerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 12:47 AM   #37

Trailer: 2014 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
You saying I am a bit backwards, Anna-Marie?

Some use the breaker, but breakers are not meant to be used a lot as on/off switches, they are to protect a circuit, and to isolate it if you need to work on it.
Jim, not to criticize, but under ETI's "30 Amp Available Power" instructions in their Owner's Manual, they specifically state to use the main breaker as an on/off switch when working with grid power.

I ran into this issue recently...
Stargeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 06:51 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stargeezer View Post
Jim, not to criticize, but under ETI's "30 Amp Available Power" instructions in their Owner's Manual, they specifically state to use the main breaker as an on/off switch when working with grid power.

I ran into this issue recently...
Umm Stargeezer

"It is a small switch on the water heater that you have to get down and look for, and yes, it is on the left. I never saw it when I first looked for it, good thing I was camping with Reace.

"This is just another reason for adding a switch inside, seeing the one on the water heater is a real pain to use. This way I can switch on from inside, with an indicator light that alerts me to it being on. Some use the breaker, but breakers are not meant to be used a lot as on/off switches, they are to protect a circuit, and to isolate it if you need to work on it. "

Note the bold statement..

Cypher
Cypherian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 10:06 AM   #39

Trailer: gone, 19 and 21 & 17B with 5.0 now. gone
2 way water heater

We are parked at a very nice camp ground in Grants Pass on our way to Bandon, be there next Friday. While reading this thread our neighbors 5th wheel water heater was on gas and heating the water, at 25 feet it is amazing how noisy it is through my open window and makes me glad we have the choice of electric when hooked up.
Jack
azjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 10:58 AM   #40

Hi Azjack,
Which campground in Grant's Pass? There is a real fancy one at Exit 99, at 7 Feathers. The last time I was there (last year) I saw a 15' Escape.