2-way hot water heater? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 07-11-2014, 01:12 AM   #1

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19
2-way hot water heater?

We are working on our build sheet for our new Escape 19 and are wondering about the value of the 2-way hot water heater. Does the saving on propane (when you have electrical hook ups) make up the $200 price difference? Are there other reasons other than savings on propane as to why a 2 - way is a good idea? I suspect we will be boon docking about half the time.
Dave Whiting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 01:45 AM   #2

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA
I just went with the propane only. I've had 2-way ones in previous trailers and never used them on electric. These water heaters heat up so fast, I just flip it on a few minutes before I need hot water, then turn it off when I'm done. YMMV
gingerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 02:01 AM   #3

Trailer: 2002 Escape 13'
I have never used the electric on mine and would not get the option again. Propane works great, is always available and lasts a long time.
hotfishtacos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 05:03 AM   #4

Trailer: 21' Escape
Always use electric when I can. I just flip the switch and forget about it until I go home. I don't know how much I save on propane but it is nice to have the option.
floorpanel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 05:05 AM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
I went with the propane only. In 48 nights in our Escape returning from Chilliwac, we are still only on our 2nd tank of propane. That was for heat, hot water and cooking. Not only does it not justify on an economic sense, but also it adds another system to maintain.
Old 07-11-2014, 05:44 AM   #6

Trailer: 21' Escape
What's to maintain, at least if one system goes out I have the option of using the other one
floorpanel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 05:53 AM   #7

Trailer: 2014 5TA/ *012 17B (previous)
Seems to depend on "how" you camp, we rarely use propane, unless there is no electricity. But, we don't boondock a whole lot- just here and there.
It's more difficult to change your mind later.
'Have No Regrets'
Chapitre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 06:00 AM   #8

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Even though less than 10% of my camping is with electricity (at this time), I still like having the dual fuel heater. Along with the cost savings of not burning propane, comes the added benefit of quiet operation, especially if you have it one during the night. In the 19, the water heater is right under your head.

On the rare occasion you pull into a campground and need some hot water fast, you can use both the propane and electric component for hot water in a very short time.

Of course propane only will service you just fine, but I would go for the dual myself.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 06:27 AM   #9

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
All it takes is one forgetful moment and you will burn out the electric element, $$ to repair. One less item to remember to turn on/off. These little items all add up to a list yea long to remember, I want to get away from stress rather than add to it.
Old 07-11-2014, 06:51 AM   #10
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I got both. I'll be camping for nine nights at the Oregon Gathering, full hookups. Guess which version I'll use? Paid for the use of electricity, I'm gonna use it.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 07:12 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
All it takes is one forgetful moment and you will burn out the electric element, $$ to repair. One less item to remember to turn on/off. These little items all add up to a list yea long to remember, I want to get away from stress rather than add to it.
I had to do this once when my wife turned it on for spring cleaning, not realizing it was still bypassed. Not a big deal though, other than running to the BORG to get a new element for $20, or so. 15 minutes to swap out, lesson learned.

The list of things that could go wrong with your trailer and gear is a mile long. If one worried too much about things going wrong with your setup, staying home would likely be the best option.

I gotta say, that the mod I did of putting a switch inside to turn the water heater element on, along with an indicator light to let me know it is on, was a minor mod that has really worked out great for us.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 07-11-2014, 07:53 AM   #12

I got both. I'll be camping for nine nights at the Oregon Gathering, full hookups. Guess which version I'll use? Paid for the use of electricity, I'm gonna use it.

Actually, it is those who judiciously do not use the electric while hooked that enables others to by keeping the cost down. If we all used what we thought we were entitled to we could end up with nothing left.
OK I'm off the stage now.
Old 07-11-2014, 07:59 AM   #13
Site Team

That's fine Jim. We voted to support our state parks with lottery dollars. It's actually the gamblers in the state that keep the pricing down, not those that judiciously do not use the electric while hooked.
Old 07-11-2014, 08:06 AM   #14

Yeah, I am not too worried about the little electricity I use when at a campground. People who choose to use A/C use WAY more, especially in those big rigs, and all their usage is factored into the cost I pay, regardless of how little I consume.
Old 07-11-2014, 08:18 AM   #15

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
I chose the propane only heater. I'm about 50/50 on hook up vrs boon docking. My thinking was that It is less complicated to operate, will take along time to use the $200.00 up charge in propane, and mostly I used that $200.00 to get other options I felt were more important to me. I find in real world usage I turn the heater on in the am and pm for about 10 minutes to heat a tank for dishes etc. So again with all the options available it comes down to how you will use your trailer and what is important to you.

Dave
dave1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 09:35 AM   #16

Agreed Dave, those who do not use our natural resources are helping put some back. When I had all all electric EggCamper I had to have hookups. But as some members here discuss the preference of no of a/c nor electric water heaters in their Escapes is a simpler way to camp off the grid, I too prefer the simple way.
Old 07-11-2014, 09:44 AM   #17

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
I think it would take a long time to make up the $200 based on propane savings. We went propane only, and as mentioned before, turn it on a few minutes before it's needed and turn it off when not needed, especially at night. This one is mostly just a matter of personal preference.
Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 09:57 AM   #18

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA, 2014- RAM HEMI 8 spd
Donna, before you mentioned it, that was my thought. You are paying for the electricity, you might as well as take advantage of it and save the propane. I will have the 2-way on my upcoming (Dec. 15) 5.0 TA.

Did you get the u-shaped dinette?
Scuba55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 10:06 AM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba55 View Post
Donna, before you mentioned it, that was my thought. You are paying for the electricity, you might as well as take advantage of it and save the propane. I will have the 2-way on my upcoming (Dec. 15) 5.0 TA.

Did you get the u-shaped dinette?
Yes, I got the U-shaped dinette, no table mounted (two stooge tables) and had an extra filler board and cushion made. I wanted a lounge!

I'll post pictures sometime next week.

Here in the Pacific NorthWET, propane prices are rising and electric costs are going down. We're big into solar and wind power, not so big into drilling.
Old 07-11-2014, 10:42 AM   #20

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA, 2014- RAM HEMI 8 spd
Yes, I would love to see the u-shaped dinette as I am debating on to get it or not. I will be going to the Bandon gathering to view the new 5.0 TA, that Tammy and Reace are bringing, not sure if it will have the u-shape or not.

Thanks again!
Scuba55 is offline   Reply With Quote