2-Way Hot Water Heater - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-02-2016, 11:07 AM   #1

Trailer: 2017 19’
2-Way Hot Water Heater

Build sheet coming along for our 19', been back and forth on this one. Opinions ...Yes or no and why?
dan55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 11:17 AM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
If you mainly camp in RV parks with electricity, then you won't be using up your propane. Has been suggested that you can buy a lot of propane with the money you would spend on the option.
If you mainly camp without hookups, it's not of much use.
Old 12-02-2016, 11:37 AM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan55 View Post
Build sheet coming along for our 19', been back and forth on this one. Opinions ...Yes or no and why?
Hi: dan55... We sure use ours a lot... but then we camp next to the "Current bush" most times. When using the propane to heat the water to wash dishes we only turn it on while eating. It heats quickly!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 12:17 PM   #4

Trailer: 2016 21 ft escape
We did not get the 2-way option. Just propane. One less thing to go wrong, one less thing to repair. I like simple.
Jake930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 12:27 PM   #5

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan55 View Post
Had it marked on our build sheet, but then crossed it off. We don't even miss it.
But yes, it all depends on your camping style.
(we simply boil the water for the dishes on the stove outside, soak for a minute, making doing dishes like it's nothing)
Our hot water tank only gets used for showers, on propane.
Old 12-02-2016, 12:28 PM   #6

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
We got the 2-way hot water heater. In four years we have never used the 120V AC for heating water, even when we had hookups. It is too easy to heat the water on propane. If you only have the heater turned on just before you require water, and turn the propane heater off again when you no longer need hot water, you use very little propane. Plus, the water stays hot in the hot water tank for a long time after the propane heater is shut off. If it was a do over, I would forego getting the 2-way.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 01:29 PM   #7

Trailer: 2014 5TA/ *012 17B (previous)
It's probably a personal thing like everyone says "how" you use the trailer. We are in the trailer for four months at a time and are always plugged in - we turn on the 120 switch and never turn the hot water off. We have used the propane when there was a problem with the electrical at the campground or when we're not hooked up. With the two way, if you use the electric, if there is a problem you always have a backup, my switch went on the hot water tank on the 120 so we just switched to propane until it was fixed. I would definitely get it again.
'Have No Regrets'
Chapitre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 01:44 PM   #8

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
I like simple, too, but in this case if the electric heating element fails, the water heater is still just as functional as a propane-only unit. If the propane side fails, the electric side is a backup, so the chance of being without hot water is reduced by having the two-way version.

If the electric side fails the owner can choose to just not fix it, if it has not proven worthwhile.

I'm not suggesting that the two-way is required, or that it worthwhile for everyone, but I don't think this is a case of additional complication reducing reliability.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 02:04 PM   #9

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Agree with Brian that the electric element is not an additional complication. I have two way and have used both. And both propane and electric can be run simultaneously providing the user with faster recovery.
Old 12-02-2016, 02:09 PM   #10

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
What gbaglo said.

If you do go 2 way, do the inside on/off switch mod.
Old 12-02-2016, 02:26 PM   #11

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19', 1974 Boler
We have the 2 way and love it, Just turn the 120V switch on in the spring once the water system is charged and leave it that way (on) until the fall when you winterize then turn it off. That way anytime you hook-up to 120V you get hot water and silently. If there are no hook-ups then just run it on propane. Easy, convenient and quiet on 120V
Ian G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 03:01 PM   #12

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
I agree with making the "inside switch" modification. If you have ever had to replace the outside switch located on the water heater, you will appreciate being able to stop using it. It is also easier to turn off the water heater when you are plugged into a 15/20 amp receptacle - running both the AC & water heater doesn't work on 15 amps!

I've had two occasions where I could not use propane for the water heater, both due to very strong wind blowing on the heater side of the trailer. Unfortunately, one of them was a site without hookups, but if you have a power bush the electric side still works.
Old 12-02-2016, 08:10 PM   #13

Trailer: 2013 EggCamper
In my old Casita, I loved the 2 way water heater! When hooked up to 110V, I would actually turn the propane tanks OFF at the tanks themselves - no worries of propane leaks in rv if its not even on! When you boondock, the propane is priceless too! Id order a 2 way for sure.
Joe & Cherie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 08:12 PM   #14

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwscarab View Post
In my old Casita, I loved the 2 way water heater! When hooked up to 110V, I would actually turn the propane tanks OFF at the tanks themselves - no worries of propane leaks in rv if its not even on! When you boondock, the propane is priceless too! Id order a 2 way for sure.
What am I supposed to do with my 3-burner propane stove, my furnace and my fridge, if the propane is turned off?
And, what to do with the propane detector?
Old 12-02-2016, 08:16 PM   #15

Trailer: 2013 EggCamper
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
What am I supposed to do with my 3-burner propane stove, my furnace and my fridge, if the propane is turned off?
And, what to do with the propane detector?
Hi! I guess I was referring to summer camping! Our fridge was on 110v, heat not used (when it was we used electric heat strip in a/c or a cube heater, and we always cooked outside on a portable grille). It worked for us.

I think Escape needs to offer a built in 110v heater (cube heater-ish) as an option too!

But yes, I did turn on the propane when (only when) we needed it! I liked it like that!
Joe & Cherie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 09:02 PM   #16

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian G View Post
That way anytime you hook-up to 120V you get hot water and silently.
This is one of the main reasons to get it, especially in the 19 where it is under the bed. If you forget to turn the propane off the the water heater, it will kick in during the night, and you will kick yourself for not turning it off. When hooked up to the grid, you always have instant hot water.

I was probably one of the first to do the lighted switch inside, at least I had never heard of it being done before. This is a great way to disconnect. I am not big on the turn it on in the spring, because we are often hooked up 24/7 at home during the summer, and there is no need to leave the power on to the heater.

That said, either will do the trick. The propane works great. All I know is that this past year, our temp trailer only had propane, and I sure missed the 120V option, especially when hooked to the grid.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 09:04 PM   #17

Trailer: 2017 19’
Thanks for all the feedback! We will press on with decision making, not a huge rush as we are October of 2017 for delivery unless we get lucky.
dan55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 09:09 PM   #18

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwscarab View Post
Hi! I guess I was referring to summer camping! Our fridge was on AC, heat not used (when it was we used electric heat strip in a/c or a cube heater, and we always cooked outside on a portable grille). It worked for us.

But yes, I did turn on the propane when (only when) we needed it! I liked it like that!
I think Glenn (gbaglo) was being facetious (as usual?!).

Some of the electrical gurus may get all over me for this, but the inside circuit breaker could be used to shut off the electric hot water heater function. I mean occasionally if it is wet, dark and cold and you don't want to fuss with the outside switch. I don't mean doing it everyday and wearing out the breaker.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 09:17 PM   #19

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
I purchased one of these to replace the Escape supplied panel. One extra wire run down to a Suburban Water Heater Relay 232948 and I don't have to fool with going outside to shut off the electric hot water switch anymore.
Attached Thumbnails
s-l1600.jpg  
tdf-texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 09:55 PM   #20

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
And both propane and electric can be run simultaneously providing the user with faster recovery.
I will second the simultaneous heating approach. Susannah and I can take back to back showers without running out of hot water. Sure beats the tenting days when we used solar showers.

--
Alan
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote