2015 Escape Build Sheet - Advice? - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 06-23-2014, 10:09 PM   #61

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Light beer.
Old 06-24-2014, 09:23 AM   #62

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
That's all light beer is good for!
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 01:17 PM   #63

Trailer: 2010 Escape 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Decisions, decisions!

Almost forgot a very important question - well, not to me, but to my "boss": Custom fabric. I've noticed that some of the posts mention a fabric number, like it came from a certain supplier. I was told by Kim they have only one fabric, and if you want custom you have to supply it. So, where do those of you who've changed the fabric usually get it?
My wife did not like the regular fabric or counter top material normally offered -- too dark. We selected and purchased fabric from Jo-Ann's Fabric in the US near where we live and took to ETI. Jo-Ann's has store locations in Texas too. They will ship to Canada. For the counter top we went into a building supply store, selected the laminate we wanted and gave the brand and number to ETI and they did the rest. We have had our trailer for more than four years now and are very happy with the choices -- they also seem to make the trailer much brighter inside. Cost was quite reasonable for these changes.
Attached Thumbnails
IMGP7827sm.jpg  

2003 Subaru Forester
2012 Toyota Highlander V6
2010 Escape 13 "Ladybug" Feb 2010
bvansnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 01:21 PM   #64

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
Brian,

I like the lighter look of the trailer. very nice. What is the switch next to the water heater switch?
LeonW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 01:22 PM   #65

Brian,

I like the lighter look of the trailer. very nice. What is the switch next to the water heater switch?
Old 06-24-2014, 01:26 PM   #66

Trailer: 2010 Escape 13
That is the water pump switch.

2003 Subaru Forester
2012 Toyota Highlander V6
2010 Escape 13 "Ladybug" Feb 2010
bvansnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 01:45 PM   #67

thanks much
Old 06-24-2014, 02:34 PM   #68
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
ETI wanted our fabric ASAP after placing our order - probably to ship it over to their cushions supplier.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 09:06 PM   #69

Trailer: 2014 17B;2012 Nissan Frontier SV 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by bvansnell View Post
My wife did not like the regular fabric or counter top material normally offered -- too dark. We selected and purchased fabric from Jo-Ann's Fabric in the US near where we live and took to ETI. Jo-Ann's has store locations in Texas too. They will ship to Canada. For the counter top we went into a building supply store, selected the laminate we wanted and gave the brand and number to ETI and they did the rest. We have had our trailer for more than four years now and are very happy with the choices -- they also seem to make the trailer much brighter inside. Cost was quite reasonable for these changes.
We also purchased our own fabric and flooring. My wife, an ever vigilant retired buyer/purchasing department person, wondered why we were paying double. She argued that since the original price included fabric and flooring which we were purchasing already (at least on paper) we should see a credit.

The EI answer was understandable but not entirely satisfactory - especially since we were paying a handling fee to pay for items two times. One was the extra fuss in arranging delivery, ect. The other reason, as least as I interpreted the answer, had to do with risk. If errors are made on EI's part I.e. The wrong item put in. EI would have to make things right.

So when we changed the fabric/flooring we basically paid for those items 2x plus paid a total of 300 in extra EI fees for the privilege. Not a deal breaker. Sometimes I wish Liz wasn't such a careful shopper.

Larry
LarryandLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 09:23 PM   #70
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I purchased and had shipped my upholstery from Hawaii. Quit-your-bitchin' . Honestly, how can we put (really) a dollar price on something that's one-of-a-kind and as you mentioned ETI has all the risk... wrong stuff, damage, etc.

I haven't seen my finished trailer yet. But, it's gonna be a one-of-a-kind, not one of many. AND THAT makes me happy because it's ME, not THEM.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 09:38 PM   #71
Commercial Member

What I think is screwy is shipping personal items to ETI for installation and having to fork over the provincial sales taxes when the stuff wasn't sold in Canada. You can file for a refund when the trailer exits Canada - but the governments still keeps $9.95 per shipment (a "handling" fee.)

www.RVWidgetWorks.com
Old 06-25-2014, 09:44 PM   #72

You got no government down there?
Old 06-25-2014, 09:46 PM   #73
Site Team

That's just "the way it is" (my best Charles Kuralt voice) because Canada (BC) is a foreign country for us U.S. residents. Would you complain if you were having a custom built BIOD built in Europe? Does distance or a different native language really matter?
Old 06-25-2014, 09:55 PM   #74
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
250 pounds is the published dry/empty/base tongue weight for an Escape 17. Stuff anywhere ahead of the axle will increase that (and stuff behind it will decrease the tongue weight), so a loaded trailer will typically have more than 250 pounds carried by the hitch even if there is no storage box on the tongue. Also, the published weight will be without propane, and that sits almost on top of the coupler, adding close to 40 pounds by itself (if the empty tanks are included in the published weight).

For example, my similar 17-foot trailer has about (from memory) 240 pounds on the tongue when empty, and 305 pounds loaded for travel... with no storage box on the tongue.
I'm estimating between 340 and 360 lbs tongue weight max when traveling, with moderate gear in the storage box and relatively full propane tanks. The Hitch we have is rated at 400lbs tongue weight, and we also have an HD add-on suspension to allow more weight on our tow vehicle. I don't think it will be too much of a problem. But, thanks so much to all who've chimed in on this! It always helps to get a perspective from people with towing experience.

There may come a time (in the not so distant future) where we trade in the Lincoln for a Ford F-150, but I think it will do a fair job until we do.
rbryan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 09:56 PM   #75

Charlie,

I'm guessing you are talking about items that you ordered in the U.S. that were shipped directly to ETI from the seller. I think if you took delivery in the US, you could then ship them to ETI and not have to pay anything other than shipping and handling and brokerage and duty.
As to ETI installing custom finishes, my buddy wanted his own flooring installed ( it was very expensive commercial grade ) and Reace did his best to talk him out of it. The problem was, who's risk is it if a worker accidentally drops a tool and puts a ding in the floor. ETI could easily deal with fixes to materials they stock and install. Not so easy to replace some piece of tile from Italy ( if that were the choice ).
Old 06-25-2014, 10:05 PM   #76
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Charlie,

I'm guessing you are talking about items that you ordered in the U.S. that were shipped directly to ETI from the seller. I think if you took delivery in the US, you could then ship them to ETI and not have to pay anything other than shipping and handling and brokerage and duty.
These were items I personally packed and shipped. ETI advised it's a hit-and-miss by Canadian customs whether or not to assess provincial taxes. I have ETI give me a copy of the customs paperwork for refund filing later. Taxes are assessed on the declared value on the paperwork.

www.RVWidgetWorks.com
Old 06-25-2014, 10:07 PM   #77
Site Team

This thread is now up to 8 pages. Can I give you a bit of advice, based on "experience"? Step away from your build sheet for "a bit." Don't read about others suggestions, don't stress you may make a mistake. You won't. It's not about us, it's about YOU and your needs, wants and budget. If you don't step away, you will second guess your choices. Once again, it's not our build sheet... it's yours.
Old 06-25-2014, 10:09 PM   #78
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
This thread is now up to 8 pages. Can I give you a bit of advice, based on "experience"? Step away from your build sheet for "a bit." Don't read about others suggestions, don't stress you may make a mistake. You won't. It's not about us, it's about YOU and your needs, wants and budget. If you don't step away, you will second guess your choices. Once again, it's not our build sheet... it's yours.
Good advice Donna. We're not stressing, but thanks for the concern! The trailer will be fine whatever we decide, and we've got a while.
rbryan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 10:12 PM   #79

When I ordered my trailer, there was no Escape Forum. My only stress was getting my deposit in so I would get the trailer in early July to go camping. I had nothing custom installed.
Should have had the solar wiring, but that's about it.
Old 06-25-2014, 10:12 PM   #80
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
As to ETI installing custom finishes, my buddy wanted his own flooring installed ( it was very expensive commercial grade ) and Reace did his best to talk him out of it. The problem was, who's risk is it if a worker accidentally drops a tool and puts a ding in the floor. ETI could easily deal with fixes to materials they stock and install. Not so easy to replace some piece of tile from Italy ( if that were the choice ).
Check with Casita... they upcharge just for the change from carpet to vinyl... not even YOUR vinyl.. theirs. Because of RISK. Be grateful ETI is so accommodating. Changes from a STOCK trailer come at a price. ETI is taking on the risk and are really charging very little for the "options."

Reace grilled me about my different faucet and sink. I appreciated he wanted to make certain I knew what I was getting in to. ETI hadn't made this change before (and may not want to do it again ). Kinda like the stainless steel backsplash!

Tags
build sheet, options