2016 versus 2017 17B - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 05-27-2016, 11:18 PM   #21

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
We prefer the classic rounded shape, rounded door.

Our refrigerator is great, works with no problem. This is the "new" two-door that is supposed to work up to 90F and ours does. (Much better than their older refrigerators.) The freezer is not as good but does pretty well. The new refrigerator they now are using has yet to be reviewed by people so I would not assume that it is better than what we have.

We have a custom awning window at the kitchen, awning emergency window and bath window that all work for rain.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 06:28 AM   #22

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daubsy View Post
Does anyone know why turning the burner 90* is a $50 option? Is there extra work or materials involved?
More copper tubing for the propane and another custom counter versus one precut.
Old 05-28-2016, 10:07 AM   #23

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Tony and Darlene, my comments were on the 21' refrigerator which I thought someone had brought up earlier in this thread. That would not apply to you, I guess. The other comments may.

We just about never use our awning, mostly due to weather, but might use it more if it were power. We also do not use it because we tend to go out all day and do not sit at the trailer that much. When we do, it is evening and we don't need it.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 03:06 PM   #24

Trailer: SOLD 2016 Classic 21ft - SOLD 2016 Ram 1500 tug - ORDERED Van Replacement
Quote:
Originally Posted by float5 View Post
We just about never use our awning, mostly due to weather, but might use it more if it were power. We also do not use it because we tend to go out all day and do not sit at the trailer that much. When we do, it is evening and we don't need it.
I agree with Cathy on the awning. It's great for those that enjoy being in "camp" but that is not our RV history. We drop off our hotel on wheels off and go sightseeing all day. It is a rare day we stay with the trailer in "camp". Too many trails to hike, small towns and people to visit nearby. In fact we often abandon our camp, go sight see overnight returning next day and soon longer than that. This is why we deleted the awing from our classic 21ft. We will get the wood reinforcing for a future ( 15+ year from now ) owner to install a brand new one of his/her choosing. Awnings are nice to have but if it won't get used ? For occasions where it would be nice to have, a stand alone folding canopy will do but only on a trip where it will be needed. For covering a lot of territory sightseeing, no.
Old 05-28-2016, 03:47 PM   #25

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
That's a good idea Santiago. If one never uses an awning the fabric just deteriates over time and adds quite a bit of maintenance. Did they give you a credit for leaving the awning off?
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 04:00 PM   #26

Trailer: SOLD 2016 Classic 21ft - SOLD 2016 Ram 1500 tug - ORDERED Van Replacement
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
That's a good idea Santiago. If one never uses an awning the fabric just deteriates over time and adds quite a bit of maintenance. Did they give you a credit for leaving the awning off?
Yes they gave me credit for deleting it. For that I am very grateful to Escape. As long as the blocking is there someone can add a brand new one long long time from now. Yes it will deteriorate over time and add to things I need to worry about with no pay back for us usage wise.

With so many beautiful sights within the parks we often visit and later tons of small towns here in the US and Canada, the 21ft will be used same way Kim and I travel Europe, out all day and return in the evening, often late. Needless to say we come home from vacation exhausted and need a few days to get over it. BUT we have fun and see a whole lot of things. Hoping old age won't change that.
Old 05-28-2016, 04:13 PM   #27

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
As Eric stated, the redesign is for a number of carefully considered reasons. Looking at the new 19 here at the rally it is very attractive. If you have the money, I'd go for the new style. Your choice
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 04:23 PM   #28

Hi Dave, we can easily afford the 2017 model without batting an eye.

We were also offered delivery this year had we switched to the 2017 because we ordered last September. We just like the classic's design more. I appreciate many of the 2017 design new features, really I do, but the classic's look is what we like more than the new features on the 2017 like the awning windows, wider door, better insulation, wider body, etc. If the cost and delivery were equal, the classic trailer still wins.
Old 05-28-2016, 05:31 PM   #29

Trailer: 2012 Escape 15 A
New 17 B

Just one rather poor pic of the new 17 B . It really is awesome - the bed is now wider - full sized ! Very comfortable space !
This little pic does not do it justice at all . Any one who has any qualms at all about the new awnings should just blow them away . Truly very nice and I love the colour !!! edit ....nice door too ...
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 05-28-2016, 06:18 PM   #30

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabeck View Post
Just one rather poor pic of the new 17 B . It really is awesome - the bed is now wider - full sized ! Very comfortable space !
This little pic does not do it justice at all . Any one who has any qualms at all about the new awnings should just blow them away . Truly very nice and I love the colour !!! edit ....nice door too ...
Is it just me or does the color of the box not match the trailer color ? Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 06:28 PM   #31
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
I've never noticed that, but I know the tank cover doesn't match the trailer. That's why so many owners paint with Fusion.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 06:31 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I've never noticed that, but I know the tank cover doesn't match the trailer. That's why so many owners paint with Fusion.
Hi Donna on the picture posted to forum the tank cover matches better then the storage box ,which looks yellow . Pat
Old 05-28-2016, 06:32 PM   #33

Quote:
Hi Donna on the picture posted to forum the tank cover matches better then the storage box ,which looks yellow . Pat
Post on this thread post # 29 . Pat
Old 05-28-2016, 06:43 PM   #34

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Tank cover, if it hasn't been painted with Fusion Dover White, is blue/white, which might make you think the box looks yellow.
Old 05-28-2016, 06:44 PM   #35

Trailer: 2012 Escape 15 A
Quote:
It's a poor pic , shadow or shade - just an iPad thingee.....I expected to see a difference in the door and in reality it looks really really good .
Old 05-28-2016, 06:49 PM   #36
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Much depends on lighting, and of course the photo. There's very little difference in the color of the storage box and the trailer in person.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-28-2016, 08:02 PM   #37

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 sold, 21NE on order
Does ETI plan on redesigning the storage box so that the side profile matches the flat side of the trailer?
bouterse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 08:16 PM   #38

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Thanks for the links Jim, you may remember we camped near you at a rally in Minden, NE several years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary F View Post
To me, the single biggest advantage to the 2017 style is the larger door allowing a larger (better) fridge. On the 17B, I'm not sure that's a concern; It has been the fridges in the "classic" 19' and 21' that had problems (insufficient cooling in hot climates).
That is certainly a concern Mary. The Dometic RM8551 is the 4.3 cu ft used in the 2016. I know there was a thread here last year about insufficient cooling and I never learned if that was resolved. The 2017 would have a 4.0 cu ft and if it is in the Americana series it would be in the same series as our Bigfoot 6.0 which seems very robust for a 13 year old refrig.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mucram View Post
After lots of emails with eti, here is what I now know about 2017 17b.......
Upper brake/signal lights are option although shown as standard on new brochure
Outside access hatch is option though shown as standard on brochure
Medicine cabinet is standard
Fresh water tank is still 20 gal
Awning is 10' rather than 12' I think
Model #'s for 3cf dometic Americana (standard) rm2354, 4cf option rm2454
Outside shower placed drivers side center
To turn stove 90 degrees=50.00
New insulation is tested @ 2.5 times better than old extra insulation
Cost of permanent single bed instead of 2 person dinette=$200
Cost of switch by door for inside lites=$50

FYI am still confused about standard Windows on 2017. Options include extra insulation & thermal Windows or extra insulation & frameless thermal windows.
This may or may not help. Julie
Thanks for this Julie, very helpful in that it gives us a lot more detail on the differences. Please update if you have more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamman View Post
Windows for a 17/19 - you pick the options separately for each area.
NOTE: Options 1 and 2 are the same as before, only option 3 is new for 2017.

Front window:
standard: single pane non-opening - NO options

Bath and kitchen window: (order each separately - if desired)
standard: none
option 1: fixed single pane
option 2: opening single pane, kitchen tilts, bath slides vertically
option 3: frameless tilt out thermal pane

All other windows:
standard: back, fixed single pane; all others sliding single pane
option 1: back fixed thermal pane; exit window single pane tilt out; all others thermal sliders
option 3: ALL frameless tilt out thermal pane
Clear explanation, a lot of different options available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabeck View Post
This is what we really need, pictures of the real deal. Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Much depends on lighting, and of course the photo. There's very little difference in the color of the storage box and the trailer in person.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks to all for your thoughts and advice, difficult to make a decision without seeing a 2017. Any further pictures of the 2017 at the rally are invaluable. If the refrigerator issue has not been resolved on the 2016 it would tend to tip the balance to a 2017.
Tony and Darlene
Tony N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 11:34 PM   #39

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Tony and Darlene,
Were you the couple right next to me and I traded a tshirt for the solar lights? Either way, I really enjoyed that Minden trip and really want to get back and finish the Pioneer Village tour, what an amazing place.....any questions on the Escape, ask, I'm working on my third one....
Old 05-29-2016, 03:22 AM   #40

Trailer: 2005 Aliner, 17B due in April/17
gabeck, how did they manage to get a wider bed in? Was space lost somewhere else? Is it really 54" now? (I think that's what a full size is??&#129300
Brenda
blhvet is offline   Reply With Quote