2016 versus 2017 17B - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 05-27-2016, 08:01 AM   #1

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
2016 versus 2017 17B

Good morning fiberglass fans,
We have a deposit on a 2016 17B, due to be finished early December, so it may be badged a 2017. We realize we have the option to buy either style 17.
The base price would be $4000 CAD more for the 2017, new style as opposed to the "classic" mold. The primary differences I see are frameless window, flat door, and power awning. Are we missing something else that would persuade us to spend the extra money? These differences would not cause us to choose the new style.
We've only seen a 17 Escape a few times and are impressed. The goal is to sell our 13 Scamp and 17 Bigfoot to buy a "right size" trailer.
We will delay further questions until we comb the site for thoughts and opinions.
Thanks for any input on this.
Tony and Darlene
Tony N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 09:08 AM   #2

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Welcome - great to have another Wisconsinite with us. Mt Horeb, the original home of the Mustard Museum isn't it?

We decided on a 2017 21' over a 2016 for many reasons, but the main one is that from my interactions with Reace and my experiences with our Escape, I know that he makes changes to designs for very good reasons. But, another factor is that we want to go to the 2017 Rally and are timing our pick up date to be just before then.

We have been amazingly pleased with our "classic" 17B and would recommend it to anyone.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 10:05 AM   #3

Trailer: 17
The list of changes is in the long 2017 19 footer thread I think. One of Brian's post listed all the 17 changes too. I can't find it. Reace mentioned the insulation option is 2 times better than the old . Built-In Mirrored Medicine Cabinet in Bathroom. Wider entry door, allows bigger fridge ? Americana now? Can't remember. Mucram below said upper brake lights standard but they are were option for my 2017.

"option are now standard.
Exterior hatch
Upper brake signal lights
28 gal fresh water"
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f7...wers-7802.html
gocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 10:16 AM   #4

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
My understanding it that the fridge change will allow Reace to use ones that are designed for hotter climates rather than the current Euro models. Hopefully this will prevent some of the problems folks have experienced with current models not being able to cool properly in hot weather.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 11:07 AM   #5

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Here are a couple of threads with pictures of the newer model ...http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f2...otos-7895.html
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f2...ures-7893.html
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f2...lers-7888.html
Old 05-27-2016, 11:11 AM   #6

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I do not think the bath has a medicine cabinet but the 17 and 19 share the same newer door as well as frameless windows and better refrigerator. Also the 2017 models have new led interior lights, stainless sink with pull out faucet and new black 2 burner stove as standard.
Old 05-27-2016, 11:28 AM   #7

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I do not think the bath has a medicine cabinet but the 17 and 19 share the same newer door as well as frameless windows and better refrigerator. Also the 2017 models have new led interior lights, stainless sink with pull out faucet and new black 2 burner stove as standard.
In the pictures I took of the demo 17 and 19 footers, there was a medicine cabinet in the 19 but not the 17. I didn't get a chance to ask why it wasn't in there as they were absolutely slammed with work that day. I suspect it will be in future models as it's listed as a standard feature in the brochure. Most likely the mold for the cabinet wasn't ready and they wanted to keep the trailer moving along the assembly line.

We switched our 21 order over to the 2017 style for the reasons others have listed. We like the straighter walls so we can hang the Bali cellular blinds we're going to install. My husband likes the new door; he thinks it'll be sturdier. And the (hopefully!) better performing frig will be great. I was not looking forward to futzing around with the frig, which many have had to do with theirs.

But it was a big chunk of change that we handed over to make the switch. And the exchange rate had changed enough by the time we did that (from when we had paid off the trailer previously; before the changes were announced) that it was a very decent chunk of change in US funds. So, I can well understand hesitation on anyone's part.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 11:52 AM   #8

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Many will like the new model, but for me personally, I would stay with the classic. Awning does not appear to have any adjustment after deployment and that wouldn't work for us in the field. I never liked the flat door on my 29 Sticky when I had it and appears to be the same/similar one. After playing with the frameless Windows at RV show I wouldn't get them and would have the old style thermal sliders. So nothing in the new features is anything I want.
Mostly though it has moved too far away from the traditional egg-shape trailer and is too boxy for me. Kind of like the folks that like a 65 corvette and really don't like the lines on the new corvette's. It is still a very nice trailer and ETI is great to work with, but for me I'm very happy we pulled the trigger and got the 19 last year.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 12:11 PM   #9

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
For our 19 to be build soon, we also have the choice, and we go with the "classic" version. The kids say: "that's cause you are from the hippie years". They are right, the "classic" style has something to it we just can't resist.
Marry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 12:24 PM   #10

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape (sold) Casita 17' (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
Many will like the new model, but for me personally, I would stay with the classic. Awning does not appear to have any adjustment after deployment and that wouldn't work for us in the field. I never liked the flat door on my 29 Sticky when I had it and appears to be the same/similar one. After playing with the frameless Windows at RV show I wouldn't get them and would have the old style thermal sliders. So nothing in the new features is anything I want.
Mostly though it has moved too far away from the traditional egg-shape trailer and is too boxy for me. Kind of like the folks that like a 65 corvette and really don't like the lines on the new corvette's. It is still a very nice trailer and ETI is great to work with, but for me I'm very happy we pulled the trigger and got the 19 last year.
All 100% valid observations and thoughts (of course)

but given how our particular timing worked out, we did not have the option of a 'classic' 21' .... so we have to get the 2017 model.

We are excited about the awning style thermal windows.... given that we are a long way from full timing, I doubt we'll have problems with them... and i'm happy to periodically put a conditioner on the rubber gaskets on them.

and being able to leave the awning windows open and worry less about rain is a nice thing.

I myself really like the integrated screen door, so we'll enjoy that.

I also like the quick and easy awning deployment.

I also look forward to the more boxy style....... but like i said... we don't have the option of a classic, so I guess i'm just an optimist. We'll like what we get!

what is that experession... horses for courses?
Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 12:57 PM   #11

Trailer: SOLD 2016 Classic 21ft - SOLD 2016 Ram 1500 tug - ORDERED Van Replacement
Quote:
So nothing in the new features is anything I want.
Mostly though it has moved too far away from the traditional egg-shape trailer and is too boxy for me.
Greg, I am in your camp. I wanted to see more round .... less straight. Stuck with the classic when offered the 2017 style change.
Old 05-27-2016, 01:35 PM   #12

Trailer: 2015 Esc 21. Formerly, Casita LD (16 & 17)
To me, the single biggest advantage to the 2017 style is the larger door allowing a larger (better) fridge. On the 17B, I'm not sure that's a concern; It has been the fridges in the "classic" 19' and 21' that had problems (insufficient cooling in hot climates).
Old 05-27-2016, 02:21 PM   #13

Trailer: SOLD 2016 Classic 21ft - SOLD 2016 Ram 1500 tug - ORDERED Van Replacement
You are right about that Mary, the fridge has gotten a lot of bad press here.
Fortunately that will not affect me since I will install an electric one not due to the issues discussed here but because I had intended doing so all along even if the existing fridges worked great. I am hopeful the new fridge models on the 2017 will work as expected.
Old 05-27-2016, 03:00 PM   #14

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
In the pictures I took of the demo 17 and 19 footers, there was a medicine cabinet in the 19 but not the 17. I didn't get a chance to ask why it wasn't in there as they were absolutely slammed with work that day. I suspect it will be in future models as it's listed as a standard feature in the brochure. Most likely the mold for the cabinet wasn't ready and they wanted to keep the trailer moving along the assembly line.
The vertical side walls of the 2017 style would require new bathroom shell moulds for all models, so the 2017 17' must have had new bathroom shells - I can't see how a 2016 bathroom could be made to fit properly in a 2017 exterior. It also wouldn't make sense to make a new (for 2017) upper bathroom shell mould with no provision for a cabinet, just to make another one later to fit the cabinet.

It looks (in Laura's photos of the cabinet in the 19') like the upper part of the forward wall of the bathroom is bumped forward to provide the depth behind the wall surface required by the cabinet... and the cabinet appears to be installed into a cutout, but it could be in a recess in the fiberglass. There's no corresponding step in the wall in the 17', in the corresponding photo.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 04:58 PM   #15

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Gregg that pretty much sums it up for us . As far as the fridge is concerned no matter what performance it has or not we always in 30 + years, would still carry a cooler . The only improvement we like is larger fresh water tank , from 20-28 now . if we are boondocking ,we carry extra water , so still glad we have a classic . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 09:41 PM   #16

Trailer: 2018 19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by gocamp View Post
The list of changes is in the long 2017 19 footer thread I think. One of Brian's post listed all the 17 changes too. I can't find it. Reace mentioned the insulation option is 2 times better than the old . Built-In Mirrored Medicine Cabinet in Bathroom. Wider entry door, allows bigger fridge ? Americana now? Can't remember. Mucram below said upper brake lights standard but they are were option for my 2017.

"option are now standard.
Exterior hatch
Upper brake signal lights
28 gal fresh water"
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f7...wers-7802.html
After lots of emails with eti, here is what I now know about 2017 17b.......
Upper brake/signal lights are option although shown as standard on new brochure
Outside access hatch is option though shown as standard on brochure
Medicine cabinet is standard
Fresh water tank is still 20 gal
Awning is 10' rather than 12' I think
Model #'s for 3cf dometic Americana (standard) rm2354, 4cf option rm2454
Outside shower placed drivers side center
To turn stove 90 degrees=50.00
New insulation is tested @ 2.5 times better than old extra insulation
Cost of permanent single bed instead of 2 person dinette=$200
Cost of switch by door for inside lites=$50

FYI am still confused about standard Windows on 2017. Options include extra insulation & thermal Windows or extra insulation & frameless thermal windows.
This may or may not help. Julie
Mucram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 10:04 PM   #17

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mucram View Post
FYI am still confused about standard Windows on 2017. Options include extra insulation & thermal Windows or extra insulation & frameless thermal windows.
This may or may not help. Julie
Windows for a 17/19 - you pick the options separately for each area.
NOTE: Options 1 and 2 are the same as before, only option 3 is new for 2017.

Front window:
standard: single pane non-opening - NO options

Bath and kitchen window: (order each separately - if desired)
standard: none
option 1: fixed single pane
option 2: opening single pane, kitchen tilts, bath slides vertically
option 3: frameless tilt out thermal pane

All other windows:
standard: back, fixed single pane; all others sliding single pane
option 1: back fixed thermal pane; exit window single pane tilt out; all others thermal sliders
option 3: ALL frameless tilt out thermal pane
jamman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 10:09 PM   #18

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19'
Does anyone know why turning the burner 90* is a $50 option? Is there extra work or materials involved?
Daubsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 10:12 PM   #19

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mucram View Post
I believe this means:
  1. the standard windows are not frameless (the same sliders as before), and single-paned
  2. the basic insulation + window package has double pane (or "thermal") windows, still not frameless (the same as the previous thermal windows)
    Option list says:
    Quote:
    Extra Insulation & Thermal Windows (Not all windows available in Thermal)
  3. the more expensive insulation + window package has double pane (or "thermal") frameless windows
    Option list says:
    Quote:
    Extra Insulation & Frame-less Thermal Windows (Includes Opening Rear Window, Frt. Window with Rock Shield Non-Thermal).
(Doug was apparently less distracted than I was, and beat me to this )
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 10:52 PM   #20

Trailer: 2018 19'
Thanks Brian. That's kind of what I surmised but then got confused once again. Am thinking will go for extra insulation & old type double window
Mucram is offline   Reply With Quote