We ordered a 21' last December and when the new, 2nd Gen style was announced, I went back and forth on if we would switch or stay. Fortunately, with The Trailer not due until this December, we had plenty of time to decide.
We decided to switch over to the 2nd Gen style for multiple reasons:
1. A better fitting door. If you've read through the old posts, you'll see that some folks had problems with the door fitting properly. Some had to take it back to ETI for adjustment. Some had to put extra foam along the bottom so there wasn't a gap. One person even had to take his door off the hinges due to not being able to open it from the outside. (I was majorly freaked by that post!)
However, many others haven't had any problems, but knowing my luck .... Hubby wasn't too keen on the old style door and much prefers the new style.
2. Different frig, that many have said would work better than the older style. I've read so many posts from folks trying to get their frig to work properly, that I was starting to really wonder what sort of problems I would have. Yes, not everyone has problems with their frig, but .....
Yeah, I'm a worrywart, so these things were keeping me awake at night with worry over whether it would happen to us and how I would deal with it. I don't do well with stressful situations.
3. Better (for me!) screen door. I knew the older style would get yanked around by me and probably would come off the track fairly quickly. That's me and Dirk probably would have been fine with it.
4. Straighter walls along the sides. We're going to add Bali-style cellular shades and we hope the straighter walls will work better than the older, curved walls. (Although we still have the back, curved wall to work with; at least it's not 3 walls.)
5. The slightly larger tank(s?? can't remember) were not a deal breaker, but it's nice to have 'em a bit larger.
6. The medicine cabinet wasn't a deal breaker, but it's a nice touch and one that I figure I'll use quite a bit.
7. The new, pull-out faucet is nice and of course we had already purchased one to use by the time it was announced they were switching over. But, we still stayed with it as it'll match our purchased sink lots better than their stock one will. I probably would have purchased it even if I knew about the new one as we're not keen on stainless appliances.
8. The "wood" finish on the new, bigger frig wasn't a deal breaker either as I was thinking of getting a photo printed to put there like someone else did (blanking on the name now - ack! sorry!).
9. The electric awning. I really like that it's electric as I'm lazy and if it makes my life easier - yay! I really, really like the fact that it doesn't have any side arms as I know I would have run into them multiple times. Yep, that's me and not everyone isn't as aware of their surroundings like I am.
But, I have to tell ya, this year wait has been a killer on me! driving me nuts.
Not quite to drink, but it came pretty darn close at times.
But, even with all that wait ahead of us, a used one was never in the picture as we wanted a brand new one that had never been used before. We wanted custom countertop, flooring and fabric. Last year CPAHarley did offer to sell BlackJack to us, but we declined due to wanting a new one and the custom features (we got more than just what I listed above). But it was tempting to skip the wait.
So, good luck to the OP in their decision making!