2017 vs classic 19 - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape

Old 10-16-2016, 03:09 AM   #31

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfandrews View Post
Since the frame is 4 inches wider, I would expect that the trailer is about 4 inches longer in overall length, because the angle (50) of the frame members to the coupler remains the same.
There's no need to change the tongue length, although it might have changed anyway. The 25-degree turn inward of the frame doesn't need to stay in the same location relative to the front wall of the body - it's already rearward of the front wall, so move it further back and you can have the same tongue length (from body to coupler). Of course if you move the joint too far back the front corners of the body are not well supported, but some European trailers use a "V" or triangular frame in which the two frame rails run straight from the coupler to the ends of the axle.

There are three widths of Escape:
  • classic narrow (80") - 13', 15', 17', 5.0
  • 84" - 19'
  • 88" - 21', 5.0TA
Although the wider models seem to have longer tongues, I haven't measured it or checked the location of the bend relative to the body, so I don't know if the length is proportional to the frame rail spacing.

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 08:09 PM   #32

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A - "The Pullman"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
There's no need to change the tongue length, although it might have changed anyway. The 25-degree turn inward of the frame doesn't need to stay in the same location relative to the front wall of the body -......
Brian,
You are correct, again. I was doing some prep for our next trip, and got under the trailer and just studied it a bit. They make the bottom of the body flat where frame is contacted, but also the area around as well. My 17 extends over the point at which the angle starts. The determinant for where the body attaches is most governed by the water tank location next to a cross member.
The critical dimensions of tongue length seem to be determined by the space required for the propane base, clear of the tongue jack, clear space behind the propane base for attachment of brackets for a weight distrib. hitch, and then the storage box, including room for the box lid to open. There's still space (length) besides.