2017 vs classic 19 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-14-2016, 10:50 AM   #1

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21
2017 vs classic 19

I have seen a number of threads mention that the 19 foot is updated for 2017. Can someone explain what is changing, the escape website does not make any mention of this. Do the older ones still have the real queen sized bed?
I am starting looking around for a 19 and want to understand the differences. I am considering both new and used, and plan on making a factory visit sometime in the next few months.
sailor231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 10:55 AM   #2

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Welcome, sailor231!

Here's a good thread to read about the 2017 edition of the Escape 19...

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f2...otos-7889.html

And reading the two "It's Friday" threads, both the "classic" and the "beyond" threads for pics of the two models:

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f1...sics-3244.html

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f1...yond-8031.html
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 10:57 AM   #3

Trailer: pondering.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor231 View Post
I have seen a number of threads mention that the 19 foot is updated for 2017. Can someone explain what is changing, the escape website does not make any mention of this. Do the older ones still have the real queen sized bed?
I am starting looking around for a 19 and want to understand the differences. I am considering both new and used, and plan on making a factory visit sometime in the next few months.
if you want new be advised of the 2017 Production schedule page on ETI website..2017 production is almost sold except more dates may open when they complete their new building and the occasional order cancellation that usually sells very quickly!
freespirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 02:12 PM   #4

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
I have seen a number of threads mention that the 19 foot is updated for 2017.
All models are switching to the new design. The new version of the 5.0TA is not ready yet, but the others (including the 19') are in production.

Although the new design is commonly referred to as the "2017" model, in fact for most of this year the earlier version (sometimes called the "classic" design or maybe "first generation") is being built alongside the new design (called "2017" or "next generation" or "second generation")... both are 2016 models (as shown by the model year in the VIN). In 2017, only the new design will be built.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 02:12 PM   #5

Quote:
Can someone explain what is changing, the escape website does not make any mention of this.
The Escape Trailer Industries website has been updated, a bit at a time, but there has never been a distinction on the website between the previous and new features and specifications. At this point, most of the information applies to the new design, although weight specifications are questionable, and photos of at least the 5.0TA are the old design.

At this point buyers are only able to order the the new design, because available production dates are well into 2017.
Old 10-14-2016, 02:15 PM   #6

I know a new trailer will be the new design, but I am also looking at used options and would love a simple list of changes to help my decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
The Escape Trailer Industries website has been updated, a bit at a time, but there has never been a distinction on the website between the previous and new features and specifications. At this point, most of the information applies to the new design, although weight specifications are questionable, and photos of at least the 5.0TA are the old design.

At this point buyers are only able to order the the new design, because available production dates are well into 2017.
Old 10-14-2016, 02:21 PM   #7

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Standard items in all the models will include a power awning and the newer style door which allows the newer style refrigerator. A medicine cabinet is now standard in most bathrooms. Options are varied and different but these basic changes have been made for 2016 and forward.
You will have changes in used ones also as Escape has over the years changed their standard items to include or eliminate certain items. Just ask about a specific item an you will get the answer here on the forum.
Old 10-14-2016, 02:22 PM   #8

Did the footprint, layout or weight change on the 19?
Old 10-14-2016, 02:40 PM   #9

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
The layout and footprint did not change, weight has a little variation. Interior changes are the majority plus the options.
Old 10-14-2016, 03:36 PM   #10

Quote:
Did the footprint, layout or weight change on the 19?
As Jim said, the overall footprint and layout did not change. The vertical walls make the body wider at the top and bottom, without changing the width at the middle. That leads to a wider frame spacing and wheels further apart, and moderately increases weight.

These changes apply to apply to all models, so you don't need to pick out information specific to the 19' when you read the extensive discussions about the design changes.
Old 10-14-2016, 03:39 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Standard items in all the models will include a power awning and the newer style door which allows the newer style refrigerator. A medicine cabinet is now standard in most bathrooms. Options are varied and different but these basic changes have been made for 2016 and forward.
These changes apply to trailers of the new design, which started production in 2016. Trailers of the old design do not have these changes, no matter how late they are built; there are still old-design (or "classic") trailers in production now.
Old 10-14-2016, 05:23 PM   #12

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Yes, classics and new 19's have the queen bed. Used 19's have differences in tank size and a few more minor features and a seller may not even know that. Some sales are incorrectly labeled because the seller looks at the current list which is not always what they have. Hard to know some things if they do not know the specifics of their own trailer, but most features you can see.

The new obvious difference for your use is the awning which is electric and has no side arms now. There is also a real screen door and the door shape has changed.

You can likely save many thousands getting a used one and the differences as far as your use would be minimal, so it is a good idea to go looking for used. Some people have unusual customizations and that would be one reason for paying much more for new.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 06:26 PM   #13

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by float5 View Post
...You can likely save many thousands getting a used one and the differences as far as your use would be minimal, so it is a good idea to go looking for used. Some people have unusual customizations and that would be one reason for paying much more for new.
Based on the prices that are popping up these days for used Escapes, many of them being advertised for close to their original purchase price, there is little price advantage to buying used. Biggest advantage of buying used right now seems to be that you can avoid the long wait for a new purchase.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 06:26 PM   #14

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
Major changes I can think of are.

Awning
Tank sizes
Door and screen door
Refrigerator
4" wider frame
Awning style frameless windows are available
Sides on new model are flat, old model has a mold line down the side and sides and door are more rounded
Marker lights
Type of Insulation is different
Medicine cabinet
Stripper pole :-)
Price

Floor plan is the same
Basically the same options were available for both except the frameless windows.
Old 10-14-2016, 07:24 PM   #15

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
Pull out kitchen faucet
Better designed bathroom sink
Marry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 07:57 PM   #16
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
I know a new trailer will be the new design, but I am also looking at used options and would love a simple list of changes to help my decision.
I think the best way to get a list of the changes would be to contact Escape. I haven't seen a complete list, although some of the posts above do a pretty good job of listing the major ones.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 10-14-2016, 08:13 PM   #17

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
I think the best way to get a list of the changes would be to contact Escape. I haven't seen a complete list...
...and I'm pretty sure no such thing exists, even from ETI, as I believe this subject has been dealt with before on this forum. It was determined to be a monumental task given both major and minor changes over the life of this company's production. One sees the difference in model years frequently mentioned even with such trivial things as window coverings, pump models, etc.
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 08:24 PM   #18

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marry View Post
Pull out kitchen faucet
Better designed bathroom sink
I forgot the faucet and the molded in shelf in the bathroom. I think the bathroom sick is the same in the current classic from some of the post I have see.
Old 10-14-2016, 08:25 PM   #19

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Given how few used Escapes are on the market, I don't think one gets to be picky.
Old 10-14-2016, 09:11 PM   #20

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
I think the best way to get a list of the changes would be to contact Escape. I haven't seen a complete list, although some of the posts above do a pretty good job of listing the major ones.
While they might not have a complete list they likely have a brochure for the model year you may be looking at. When we were moving forward on the purchase of a 2010 19' Tammy sent me a brochure of the proper vintage. Most of the standard features were the same as those listed on the website in early 2016, but you could pick up the differences. Slightly smaller holding tanks, 14" tires vs 15", 2300 lb axles versus 2500 lb., manual bathroom vent vs power exhauster, and thinner 5" mattress vs 8" are most of them. No deal breakers and honestly if you wait too long comparing every little thing someone else will likely have bought it. Some options have been added over the years as Escape continually improves the amenities available in their trailers. For example the front storage box was not available until late 2010 so the earliest 19's won't have it unless it was retrofitted later by ETI. Also if you have the original owner's last name or the trailer VIN Tammy can also send you the original build sheet for a trailer you may be looking to purchase.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote