2020 e23 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 11-12-2019, 03:36 PM   #1

Trailer: 2020 21
2020 e23

I have been corresponding with Karl at Escape on the propsed 2020 E23. He reports that the E23 may come into production in mid 2020. It is propsed to be 25 ft long with a 23 ft body, 8 ft wide and have 7500lb GVWR. Twin bed and queen bed options. Price will be in the $50k to $60k USD range. That may put it out of reach for many. Puts it in the Bigfoot 25 ft unit price range and weight range from the look of it. Think I'll be sticking to the E21 as the weight and price make it more conducive to my needs and financial capacity. Wish Escape all the best and hope it works for them.
oksourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 03:52 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Bigger is not always better.....
Old 11-12-2019, 04:47 PM   #3

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
In that price range there are other better choices / options. We were considering possibly purchasing an Escape 23 , now we will just have to look elsewhere .
The old ETI is dead and gone , time to move on .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 04:54 PM   #4

Yes indeed. "It's not the size of your unit that counts, it's how you camp in it"!
Old 11-12-2019, 05:30 PM   #5

Trailer: 2014 21' Escape
For someone to make the comment the old ETI is dead and better trailers out their at 23', sorry but I would have to disagree.

On the 23' foot Karl I'm sure is doing some estimating still at this point and better to be on the high side when guessing on price then low.

As far as better options available how does anyone know what this 23' will provide, why does it weigh so much more, is there something in the construction that makes it a more 4 season trailer? Who knows at this point.

I think most forum member will agree, but I'm happy to see the openness of the hew ownership, their willingness to engage members on this forum and at least listen to what they think.
Now I'm sure ETI will not like hearing this but I hope our 2014 is the last trailer I ever own but they need a reference of why I say that happy to say nothing but good things about ETI and what I think of the quality of the product they produce. But to each his own.

Enjoy the journey.

Steve
stratos175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 05:41 PM   #6

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by oksourdough@gmail.com View Post
I have been corresponding with Karl at Escape on the propsed 2020 E23. He reports that the E23 may come into production in mid 2020. It is propsed to be 25 ft long with a 23 ft body, 8 ft wide and have 7500lb GVWR.
That would be a change in naming convention, since for current models (other than the 5.0TA) the nominal length is the overall length, not the body length.

It is also a big jump in width, up 8" from 88" for the current 21' and 5.0TA to 96". Previous width steps (from the original size to the 19', and from the 19' to 21') have been 4" each time.

The combination leads to the big jump in GVWR: body length from about 19' to 23' (20% increase) and body width from 88" to 96" (9%) means likely about 1/3 heavier body and frame than the 21'. It sounds like the GVWR needs to be substantially higher than that of the 21', so it was just set at the total axle capacity plus hitch allowance.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 06:08 PM   #7

For me its my intended use that will dictate which one I get. My intent is to winter on the Baja and the baja is notorious for very narrow highways and tight spots to get into. Therefore the E21 which is much narrower and lighter than the proposed E23 and the Bigfoot units of comparable size is my best option. Like the old saying goes, "opinions are like & $(#@s, everyone has one". And we are all free to express them. Agree or disagree that's your choice. I happen to like Escape trailers. They just suit my needs better than other makes.
oksourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 06:10 PM   #8

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Triple axle?
Old 11-12-2019, 06:13 PM   #9

He did not mention axels
Old 11-12-2019, 06:23 PM   #10

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Triple axle?
I would hope not. Three axles are not necessary for the weight, and would only add weight, cost, wheel well intrusion, and difficulty turning. Also, Torflex suspensions are not recommended (by Dexter Axle) for triple applications, because they're not interlinked so they don't share load between axles. It would be amusing, though, because it would probably be the smallest triple-axle trailer (of any type) in production.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 06:48 PM   #11

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by oksourdough@gmail.com View Post
Price will be in the $50k to $60k USD range. That may put it out of reach for many. Puts it in the Bigfoot 25 ft unit price range and weight range from the look of it.
This is Oliver Legacy Elite II territory. I am making a guess here that Escape has been so successful because it positioned itself BETWEEN smaller trailers like Casita/Scamp/etc. and larger more expensive molded trailers like Oliver and Bigfoot. Plus they have a very unique fifth wheel. I’m not sure they will have the same level of success going head-to-head on larger bumper pull trailers, but I wish them luck. I’m sure glad they are trying to be progressive and move the company forward.
Old 11-12-2019, 08:37 PM   #12

Trailer: Decisions, decisions
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Bigger is not always better.....
We were waiting to place on order on preliminary details on the 23.

The 21 will better suit our travels.
Need to get busy on the order process.

Sam
Old 11-12-2019, 09:25 PM   #13

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
The length doesn't make sense, 23' box and 25' overall, that leaves 2' for the front A frame and the bumper. Think I'll wait for the real thing.
Old 11-12-2019, 10:21 PM   #14

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19
Since I find my first gen 19 to be a wee bit too big for some of my uses, I'm certainly not in the market for something like the planned 23, but I'm going to look at it with interest; and I applaud ETI for exploring the niche. Those of us on the sidelines are not its intended market

I wish them great success if they decide to actually bring it to market.
Old 11-23-2019, 08:37 PM   #15

Trailer: Escape 19
Rather than compete directly with a competitor, maybe try something that fills a niche few are addressing. In our extended travels with our now retired Stick built trailer through the Southwest and Alaska, we've encountered many folks traveling in pairs who were not partners or couples, and had no other dependents. (maybe a dog or cat)

From little Bolers to Cassitas to 19' Escapes (plus all the stick built models) these folks would end up with one person sleeping in the double or queen bed and the other sleeping on the flattened dinette; which never gets used as a dinette. To the engineer in me, this screams an opportunity.

This will take some serious creativity, but imagine the 21' shell, a 17B kitchen, bath and dinette, and two 30 x 75 twin beds in the rear. I know the door placement is not optimal, and that's where the creative engineering comes in, but I'd be curious to see how a mock up of this would go over at an egg rally.

Price point would still be in the $40s CD and it could still be towed by a Chevy Colorado or a full size SUV (Sequoia, Tahoe, Navigator, Armada, Durango etc).

Dinette would have to sacrifice some inches, and the Fridge maybe moved north of the door, but I think it could be done.

And I think it would attract even couples for whom a single "crawl over" bed is no longer an option, and they don't want an 8' wide rig.

Just thinking out loud...

Ed
Picking up my new 19 in February!
Edgefiddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 09:18 PM   #16

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgefiddle View Post

This will take some serious creativity, but imagine the 21' shell, a 17B kitchen, bath and dinette, and two 30 x 75 twin beds in the rear. I know the door placement is not optimal, and that's where the creative engineering comes in,
For folks like me that have previously sat down and drawn out to scale plans based on the stock 21 shell, the door placement is not only not optimal, but would take more than creative engineering to overcome. My view is that without relocating the door any new layout would be seriously compromised.

We'll see, should be interesting to see how this goes.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 11:15 PM   #17
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
A "23" should be 23 feet long overall with a shell length around 19 feet. It just doesn't make sense to call a 25 foot long trailer a 23.
Old 11-24-2019, 05:16 AM   #18

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Bigger isn't always better. I have seen many struggle and scrap their trailers on trees trying to get into the nice sites. I like the narrow dimensions of the 17B I had and the 19 I am getting. Where I often go, Algonquin Park, the lanes are tight and the big trailers have a hard time.

I think Escape should not be trying to build a boat. The marketplace is to competitive with many larger manufacteurs opening factories in Mexico.

I think they should build the 23', but keep the width at 7' or what ever the 21' is. If they want new products, build the 13' with only cabinets and a heater, no fridge AC or awning. Simple. The niche Boler, Trillium market still exists. People want to tow with their 4 cyl cars.
Old 11-24-2019, 07:35 AM   #19

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug2000 View Post
Bigger isn't always better. I have seen many struggle and scrap their trailers on trees trying to get into the nice sites. I like the narrow dimensions of the 17B I had and the 19 I am getting. Where I often go, Algonquin Park, the lanes are tight and the big trailers have a hard time.

I think Escape should not be trying to build a boat. The marketplace is to competitive with many larger manufacteurs opening factories in Mexico.

I think they should build the 23', but keep the width at 7' or what ever the 21' is. If they want new products, build the 13' with only cabinets and a heater, no fridge AC or awning. Simple. The niche Boler, Trillium market still exists. People want to tow with their 4 cyl cars.
One of the major reasons we are not looking at / considering the purchase of a 23 ft Oliver and are considering the purchase of a 25 ft Bigfoot is width .
You can only lengthen a trailer to a point without increasing the width before it feels like your in a long narrow hallway or tunnel IMHO
Everything needs to be in proportion
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 07:43 AM   #20

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
One issue I see with a wider trailer is the ability to see down the sides, a 8' wide trailer would need some serious mirror extensions.