21 dinette foot rest? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 02-21-2018, 10:03 PM   #1

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21
21 dinette foot rest?

We looked long and hard at U shaped dinette option and decided against it. The wife likes it as a lounge areat, but we don't want to give up larger table area.

I was thinking about adding a board across the back for a foot rest. That way, wife could still have feet up while lounging on the bench seat. I'm wondering what is dimension from the back table post to the rear wall?, i.e. that's how wide the board would be. The length would be the same as the width of the table top. The board would fit just like the table top, if you lowered it to make a bed.

Anyone else have this idea? Comments welcomed. :-)
CharlesPou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 10:23 PM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
That space is not square and will be simple and probably not much cost to have ETI make you a filler board. We had one made for $100(with cushion) then had another made at home and the cushion alone with our extra fabric was the same cost.
Old 02-21-2018, 11:44 PM   #3

Trailer: 2016 21. '15 Ford Explorer V-6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
That space is not square and will be simple and probably not much cost to have ETI make you a filler board. We had one made for $100(with cushion) then had another made at home and the cushion alone with our extra fabric was the same cost.
Good advice, Ross! And all of the versatility is retained!

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 04:56 AM   #4

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I did that in my 19 with the standard table, cut a hole for the table leg and it helps stabilize the table also.
Old 02-22-2018, 04:39 PM   #5
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Did a similar footrest (also to steady the table) using pipe hangers. Used metal threaded inserts in the seat rails so it's easy to remove if needed for grandkids bed. Also added a couple of pockets behind the footrest where we store our laptops.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0645.jpg  

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 05:37 PM   #6

Trailer: 2018 17a - now sold
Brilliant!
dusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 07:02 AM   #7

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21 Foot
After traveling in our 21 I can see how this would be handy, just wonder if you have to unscrew it before making it into a bed, also curious as to how wide it is. Wonder if a thin masonite board say 8 inches wide by the width of the backend would easily fit under cushions for an easy in and out.
Zengranny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 09:36 AM   #8

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
Seems like if it would be easy to take it in and out if you just drilled holes in the board and the support and put a thin dowel or some other kind of pin in so it sat stable on the rail. or even some sturdy velcro at the front corners--it would need no holes at all.

Or if you didn't mind it a little lower, install another block for support under the current rail on each side, with room to slide the board between. then it could stay all the time, with the table sitting on top of the current rail.
Old 04-26-2018, 10:44 AM   #9

Velcro might be the solution. There's a switch just under the lip so the block won't work. I'm glad we didn't get the ushape because we love having as much vertical space as possible.
Old 04-26-2018, 10:48 AM   #10
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zengranny View Post
After traveling in our 21 I can see how this would be handy, just wonder if you have to unscrew it before making it into a bed, also curious as to how wide it is. Wonder if a thin masonite board say 8 inches wide by the width of the backend would easily fit under cushions for an easy in and out.
Yes, it needs to be unscrewed to create a bed, but in 4 years we've never done that. It's more structural for the table steadiness and the pockets behind it to hold laptops fill the gap between it and the rear wall. The board is about 6 inches wide, the pockets about 2 inches. Access to storage under the benches is not impeded - I added outlets inside the benches with charge cords fished out to charge our devices without the usual wiring snafu.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 11:03 AM   #11

Good design, we do take grand boys with us from time to time so need to turn into bed fairly often. We also have the springfield pedistal which husband beefed up with a heavy piece of plywood to keep it from wobbling. Continuing to learn as we go.
Old 04-26-2018, 11:06 AM   #12

The original owner of my Aframe put velcro on all four corners of the table and rail to keep it from moving during travel. It holds tight. I forgot it was there as I keep that table down, and last week I was cleaning and had to really tug to get the table up.
Old 04-26-2018, 11:09 AM   #13

I'm curious about the support for your springfield. When you get a chance, could you describe and/or post a picture? Is your table full length? (i assume so, as now they are using an 8 inch filler and that would make your back shelf already in place)
Old 04-26-2018, 12:02 PM   #14

Stabilizing Pedestal Table

This modification really made a difference.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0321.jpg   IMG_0320.jpg  
Old 04-26-2018, 12:05 PM   #15

I'm confused on what you mean by 8 inch filler. Yes it is not a u-shape but the standard size with the pedestal.
Old 04-26-2018, 12:37 PM   #16

The spec sheet lists the table as 26x49, but the pics of my newly finished 17 says the table is 42 inches and there's an 8 inch "filler" board.
Old 04-26-2018, 06:13 PM   #17

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Our EggCamper came with velcro holding the big dinette table in place when lowered to help form a bed as well a strip of velcro along the driver side wall to help hold the small side dinette table in place. Velcro works great for both.
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote