21' Escape - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-24-2016, 04:14 PM   #21

Trailer: ex Casita/ 2016 Escape 21 '16 TRD 4x4
My 2016 classic 21' has the high lift axel, bathroom window (had one in my Casita and love the free light) double 6 volt and the solar panel. I can go without my generator unless i'm at Yosemite in the shade. The ETI installed solar is very sturdy and I have read posts about panels blowing off. I think it's pricy, but in the end well worth it. We have every option except for the awning lights and mag wheels and oven. I would delete the tv antenna next time, but everything else is awesome and i would miss it. spend the money now or regret it forever. ( my opinion)
jerry
jerryandmaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 04:47 PM   #22

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by yxan View Post
Configuring a 21' and have some picture requests if people have them along with general information from others
  • are there any other special set ups that are made when opting for the dual 6v set up? or could that be easily done later? Last I knew they include the 12v disconnect when you get dual 6v and at least solar prewire, which is how I got mine. Don't know if the disconnect switch is included with just the dual 6v'ers.
It would take a bit of work to rewire for adding the switch
later, but if your decent with wiring you could probably figure it out.

• the 160 W solar kit with controller is another option i'm feeling meh about. It feels expensive for what you get. If you buy it can you hook up more panels to that same controller? What is the preferred way to do the ports if you go down the aim-a-panel route? regular 12 volt socket or something fancier? It is expensive for what you get as long as you have the time and knowledge to do it yourself later. I got just the prewire so I could install a bigger at the time 160w panel and a better controller and monitor for about the same price. It did take a good deal of time and research to plan and do the install.
  • Is there enough light in the bathroom if you don't opt for a window? Yes, we got the opening window for the air flow.
See my answers above in Red.
Old 09-24-2016, 06:09 PM   #23

Trailer: pondering.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
I focused on the fabric and told her that what they use looks (to me) like it was designed in the 70's (I didn't mention by someone on drugs; had enough of the drug-filled 70's, thank you very much), I don't like it and by using my own I could get purple. Yeah, I like purple.
funny ...thought the same thing..looks like some very used crash pad couches in the late 60's..

So the Canadian customs allows you to take things to ETI to be used later in your trailer build as long as you declared them?
freespirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 08:10 PM   #24

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by freespirit View Post
funny ...thought the same thing..looks like some very used crash pad couches in the late 60's..

So the Canadian customs allows you to take things to ETI to be used later in your trailer build as long as you declared them?
Yeah, I've been wondering if they got a ton (literally!) of that fabric at a really good price and haven't used up enough of it to switch to something else.

I took along receipts for everything that I was taking to ETI, which listed what they were and the price I paid. I also put that information in a spreadsheet to make it easier. She wasn't interested in seeing those, but she could have. I was told by another border officer to have those with me. She did want to know the value of everything and what they were. She closely questioned me on the issue of the trailer being built in Canada but being exported to the USA for me. I showed her the build sheet and mentioned how there's a section for Canadian taxes but it wasn't filled out since I wasn't getting the trailer in Canada. I told her that everything I was bringing up was getting installed on the trailer by ETI and would be on the trailer when it crossed the border. She had asked if any of those items would be left in Canada.

It was much easier than I thought it would be, taking them across. However, she did kind of throw me for a loop when she asked why I wanted those items on the trailer instead of what was normally on there.

Then she asked the usual questions about tobacco, booze and guns, plus how long we were going to be in Canada. Then we were on our way.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 10:24 PM   #25

Trailer: New skool escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
See my answers above in Red.
Thank you for insightful responses. I will confirm with Escape and see how they do it nowadays in regards to the 6V kit. Did you get a tiltable roof unit when you did your custom install or just basic fixed panel?

I can easily do the work my self, but as probably most users I plan to use this thing when I pick it up. So absorb a few hundred to have a nice time right out of the gate might be worth it.
yxan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 06:11 AM   #26

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
Thank you for insightful responses. I will confirm with Escape and see how they do it nowadays in regards to the 6V kit. Did you get a tiltable roof unit when you did your custom install or just basic fixed panel?

I can easily do the work my self, but as probably most users I plan to use this thing when I pick it up. So absorb a few hundred to have a nice time right out of the gate might be worth it.
I went with a flat install which has worked fine for my needs up to this point. I have a suitcase panel for the cold months when I have no hookups but have yet to use it.

I probably would have had ETI do the panel if they had told told they were swapping to the 160w. Last I or anyone else had known they were using the 95's.

Oh well, I like to tinker and I learned a lot, so it was worth doing it myself. I had had the trailer delivered so there was no trip home I needed to be concerned with. I was still working, not knowing I'd be retired 3 months later.
Old 09-25-2016, 10:37 AM   #27

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape as of 01/16/17
Quote:
Configuring a 21' and have some picture requests if people have them along with general information from others

LED Awning Strip, what does it look like and where is it attached?
I am not sure where ETI intends to place the LED strip, but we opted out because the one they use has the bluish/cool tint effect, rather than the warmer tint effect.

the 160 W solar kit with controller is another option i'm feeling meh about. It feels expensive for what you get. If you buy it can you hook up more panels to that same controller? What is the preferred way to do the ports if you go down the aim-a-panel route? regular 12 volt socket or something fancier?
We choose to add the 160W solar panel, even though we currently have a 100W suitcase solar panel. I sent ETI a Zamp plug that will be installed on the outer wall so that I can plug in my portable panel, "just in case we have to follow the sun", and it will also be connected directly to the controller.

Is there enough light in the bathroom if you don't opt for a window?
the main reason we chose to go with the bathroom window was for ventilation, while keeping the door closed. It works well on current Casita
A utilitarian tweak I would also consider is adding two 12V plugs on the outside. One next to the 120V outlet on the passenger side and the other between the two tires on the driver side, so you can readily plug in your air compressor for your tires. For me, this is a "must have".

"Whoever said retirement was overrated...
...never had an Escape"
Red Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 09:59 AM   #28

build is getting pricier

Appreciate the insights.

Items under consideration
  • external storage box
  • side door for under bed storage
  • stove upgrade
  • hood range delete (do you get a credit for that?)
  • no graphics (are graphics included? or upcharge?)

Confirmed add ons
  • 160W Solar Panel
  • Propane Quick Connect
  • high lift axle
  • insulated tanks
  • rims
  • interior reading lights
  • bathroom window
  • insulation and thermal windows
  • fan maxxfan 7000K
  • Dual 6V Batteries
  • Exterior Shower
  • Winterizing T Valve
  • Foot Flush Toilet
  • 2-way Hot Water Tank
  • External Fridge Fan
Old 10-01-2016, 11:07 AM   #29
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I'd trade the rims for the front storage box. The rims you can buy locally, probably at a cheaper cost and replace them when you replace the tires. This particular storage box must come from ETI.

Do you need TUMS yet?
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 03:57 PM   #30

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
I second Donna, I'd lose the rims and get something else on the list. I got much better custom rims on my previous 17b aftermarket, they'll be unique to your trailer, and you can do them whenever later down the line.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 04:03 PM   #31

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
No credit for deleting hood range.
Graphics included.
Marry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 04:14 PM   #32

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marry View Post
No credit for deleting hood range.
Graphics included.
But you do get a credit if you order your trailer naked, without the graphics. 100 bucks

Some things that get deleted you get a credit for it, but not everything. Don't bother trying to figure out why for some and not the others.

We deleted the bathroom sink, faucet and shelf over the bed and didn't get a credit for them. But we did get a credit for deleting the mattress ($150), valences ($10 each) and dayshades ($25 each). We provided our own sink and faucet, but didn't get a credit for not using theirs. But they're not charging us to install our own. And there isn't a charge/credit for deleting the metal stove cover.
Old 10-02-2016, 09:03 AM   #33

Quote:
But you do get a credit if you order your trailer naked, without the graphics. 100 bucks

Some things that get deleted you get a credit for it, but not everything. Don't bother trying to figure out why for some and not the others.

We deleted the bathroom sink, faucet and shelf over the bed and didn't get a credit for them. But we did get a credit for deleting the mattress ($150), valences ($10 each) and dayshades ($25 each). We provided our own sink and faucet, but didn't get a credit for not using theirs. But they're not charging us to install our own. And there isn't a charge/credit for deleting the metal stove cover.
what mattress did you get instead? do you have to cut mattress corners or can you buy mattresses like that?
Old 10-02-2016, 12:00 PM   #34

Quote:
what mattress did you get instead? do you have to cut mattress corners or can you buy mattresses like that?
Yeah, the mattress situation is a bit tricky. We've been using Select Comfort beds for almost 25 years, so we got a full size one for the trailer. It's a bit shorter than the platform, so I plan to put some thick foam at the top, which will be covered by pillows. then at the bottom - yeah, the tricky part. I'm thinking of putting in a small wood piece to support the edge. I'll have to see just how it all works out when we bring it home Dec 14th.

Other folks have used other beds and there are threads on here regarding that. Could not tell you what to search for, though, to find those comments. I seem to recall there was one brand that they were able to trim off the edge. And then others are quite happy with the mattress from ETI or will put a slab of memory foam on top (I don't like memory foam).

Or I might just shove the mattress all the way up and put some trimmed foam at the foot, which should help with some of that chopped off bit. We'll have to see how all it goes.

We hope to get the trailer all ready to go for a trip to the WA/OR coast just after Xmas. Fingers crossed the weather will let us!
Old 10-02-2016, 01:38 PM   #35

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 #8
Agree with folks about the front storage box and at least get the wiring for the solar. With aches and pains at our age starting to crop up I was worried about the mattress but it has turned out to be a great mattress, glad we went with it. There are companies that will make a custom mattress for RV's, maybe down the road if we wear this one out.

Sounds like it's coming together for you, good luck, it's all good!
Kathie
Dave&Kathie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 01:46 PM   #36

Trailer: gone, 19 and 21 & 17B with 5.0 now. gone
21 mattress

we have a total of 4 Casper brand mattresses and the one in our 21 feels so good, just as the ones in our house . In the trailer I just cut the corner of the mattress off with a knife and since the original was 80" long and replacements are 75" long we have a place to store the decorative pillows at night. See the web site for Casper info.
Jack
azjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 03:42 PM   #37

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Can someone please give me the EXACT length of a new 21' Escape. I need the measurements to include from the very front of the hitch to the back of the spare tire.
Thanks Bob-o
Bobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 05:04 PM   #38
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobo View Post
Can someone please give me the EXACT length of a new 21' Escape. I need the measurements to include from the very front of the hitch to the back of the spare tire.
Thanks Bob-o
2016 with the old frame or 2017 with the new frame? Dunno if it got longer/shorter.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 03:39 PM   #39

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2017 Toyota Tundra 5.7L 4x4
Quote:
I'm very clueless about electrical stuff and leave that to Dirk to figure out. But, I do know you'll want to add the surge protector to your list.
:
:
We added a counter extension at the end of the kitchen counter. Can never have enough counter space and I'll take what more I can get. We also added them in the dinette as we're getting the u-shape version and the table won't be installed. That way we'll have a place for snacks and drinks while lounging in comfort and reading.
:
:
And if there is, oh well. There will be times soon enough after that for camping!
Please explain where you are installing the counter extensions for use with the U shaped dinette.
Thanks, Rick
richardr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 03:53 PM   #40

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
They are mounted onto the wall separating the kitchen counter from the dinette area and on the fridge wall. We didn't do any reinforcing of walls and at first they said they would have to do so on the kitchen side however they "braced" it at N/C. They make them at a height so the table will slide over them if in the up position. Personally I like having it up when seated sometimes as it provides arm support or I can put a glass there. Can still enter or exit the dinette with them up- especially if you have a Springfield & Dicor setup for the table.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote